• Moose
  • Announcements

• Dirktator

Please help us for June & July   06/20/2017

This month we're hoping for a little bit of a boost this month or next, in addition to covering the regular bills, we could benefit from some hardware upgrades. STEX Collector's Set gifts can now be sent to you via digital download as well as regular mail if you wish! Every donation dollar goes toward keeping Simtropolis online and humming along. Your contribution counts! Hardware Upgrades As our website community software improves with more and more features, and as we bolt on additional features such as chat, the increased load to handle all these new toys is taking the server a bit to task. You may have noticed that we'd been forced to temporarily disable the chat as we worked out allocating resources for more optimal performance. Following this, we've applied a number of 'soft' changes such as caching options and experimented with server configurations (nginx as proxy, for example), so the hardware aspect is also an area we'd like to focus on. The last time we upgraded hardware was back in 2012, prior to the release of SC13. Your contribution means a lot! Your donation will go toward helping us to 1.) migrate to a newer server or 2.) at least get some ram/cpu/storage updates and any other infrastructure hardware or services. Donate and Get a Gift or Donate Any Amount Thanks so much! - Dirktator & The Admins
Rionescu

Show Us Your Interchanges - The Sequel

4,051 posts in this topic

8 minutes ago, _Michael said:

@Haljackey I think you should be submitting your idea to your local council! A much better plan! :D 

This means....Haljackey for mayor 2017! :8)

_Michael likes this

On 3/25/2017 at 11:32 AM, Haljackey said:

So I have some beef with my city in real life.

They're taking a free-flowing trumpet interchange:

https://www.google.ca/maps/@42.9460621,-81.1246868,15.5z

P4bDiKe.jpg

...And turning it into a parclo.

r2YYvKA.jpg

The north-south road is an expressway with interchanges planned to the north. This expansion/extension will add two new traffic lights and actually make some of the existing movements less efficient.

-----

So, In SC4 I decided to attempt to make a junction that keeps the free-flowing connections so the highway remains fully controlled-access for traffic exiting and going north to avoid stoplights and vice-versa.

...And here is the result. Obviously the junction would be much more compact in real life.

BZlAUFL.jpg

Zoom in

0kuT8UE.jpg

And a few other close-ups

Hs9vtl3.jpg

R8Cb8ps.jpg

UDdBKzD.jpg

I'm sure they were just planning on extending the arterial minor road past the freeway to facilitate current or future development. I think you're right when you said the traffic flow is less efficient, and I think your solution is a lot more efficient too! But I bet the town chose lower efficiency for less utilized space to minimize land acquisition costs. Plus, the traffic on the interchange, even with the expansion, is probably appropriate for the interchange design. And if there's gridlock, I guess you should submit this plan to your township council then lol! 

So many roads and streets...

u7jrjtme.jpg

I'm pretty sure that this is the weirdest interchange I've ever built. Not so much because of the interchange itself, rather because of the high amount of intersections on this picture (especially with the roundabouts, they serve 6 and 7 routes, respectively). The underpass actually doesn't even work, it's just a fake because there are no FLUPs underneath diagonal RHW-4 (there's a subway tunnel allowing the Sims to get to the other side since there's no other way to get there). Hope you like this "unique" construction.

Triple-post. Wow, I feel so spammy and evil :evil:

...But there is a good reason for this. I have made my first 'highway interchange' video in over a year. Check it out!

I had to look that diamond a lot of time to get what made it so realistic... the FAR ramps are!

And to avoid the multiple posts, let me take a turn... well, maybe two turns, because RHW-2 flexflies aren't available:

TRVJiYy.png

This took me a few hours because of the internal BRT lanes, this one was the best configuration available. Looks rather simple, but believe me, this is more complicated than it seems...

f3cs, Haljackey, raynev1 and 3 others like this

Something a little different: A BTM / monorail interchange.

DUmIHR9.jpg

Zoom out shows a avenue-y exchange nearby

zIIGWW0.jpg

Did you know that was one of the first transport models to make it into the NAM?

New interchanges in a old city as part of a major redevelopment and bridge project.

3/4 exchange

syoS8kh.jpg

The north-south highway used to be a Maxis highway, upgraded to RHW as part of the project.

bawiC5f.jpg

New parclo

gEpwXQO.jpg

Again, this replaces an old Maxis Highway, you can see the old route terminate at the top and bottom of the image.

tIS5GtE.jpg

Bonus: Partial-y at the other end of the bridge

1s30KVk.jpg