• Moose
  • Announcements

• Dirktator

Need your donations for May & June!   05/01/2017

We need your support to help keep Simtropolis online. We also need a little bit more this month to enhance the new chat with some features, such as mobile support! Please consider a donation today if you can help out, it would mean a lot! And we'll send you a little gift in return.  Help us reach our May goal so we can keep bringing you site improvements as well!  Donate and Get a Gift or Donate Any Amount Thanks so much! - Dirktator & The Admins
    • Dirktator

About our affiliation with GOG.com   05/23/2017

Simtropolis is now an affiliate of GOG.com! When you use one of our affiliate links to GOG.com, all it means is that Simtropolis has a chance to earn a small commission from any purchases you might make. So if you see something that tickles your fancy, please use our affiliate links and by doing so, you'll help support Simtropolis! Thanks!
thingfishs

Thingfishs' BATs

67 posts in this topic

Thanks simcoug*:thumb:, the SHK pack for both the cars and textures is far preferable I think:

5919c4de0e396_TestCity2-12Jun.031494526406.png.c59e1aacce3fc9d046fc68e418efaee5.png

It's still not quite right though. I only ever end up with a full parking lot (some half empty lots would look more realistic - I've noticed the Maxis ones do this). Also, as this is a low wealth pack, some of the cars are a little too flash, and maybe a tad over saturated, (the red sports car in the centre of the next shot as an example). Someone who drives a car like that doesn't shop at Cheap As Chips...(An Australian 99c/$2 chain):

5919c5391bb64_TestCity2-12Jun.031494526318.png.b0b836b667f67d1accbe9d0154079e92.png

I am assuming that it order to achieve what I want that I will need to create a new prop family from these?

(It's not something I've done but I know there are guides around - I can't imagine it's too tricky...)

Something else that has occurred to me is the distance the buildings are set back from the road - I'll have to check with these in game against other custom content, but I wonder if there's a standard in this sort of a situation?

On a darker note, today has been a rough one. I found a bunch of presumed lost files (old bat models & lots etc), and was 50mb through transferring them over when my friend's dog hit the cord connected to the HD, pulling it off a high cupboard and onto a hard surface. The case cracked open and the computer no longer recognises it. Plus there  are some strange noises... I couldn't get too mad at Kit. 1: he's a puppy, 2: I'm the idiot that put the HD in such a precarious position in the first place. There was a lot more on that drive than SC4 stuff, it hurts to think about it right now. :-(

If you look more at SHK's families you'll notice that there are "CarClusters." These are groups of 4, 3, or 2 cars rendered together as one prop that will appear randomly in families and are also timed. If you're looking for some empty spaces, place one of the 2x or 3x clusters and the empty spots on each lot will be randomized as a different prop is displayed. They're fantastically useful because of that and you only need to place one prop (instead of 2-4 individual ones) and can achieve a better random appearance too. Considering the distance from the road, they look alright to me. If anything, they might need to be a tad closer to the road, but not much. There's no real standard. Go with what you like; Simtropolis does not enforce zoning ordinances. *;)

Shame about the HD. Is any of it recoverable?

thingfishs likes this

Thanks for your thoughts nos.17. What you can see in the previous photos are SHK CarClusters (the 4X one). What I was hoping for was more variation. With the Maxis prop family cluster used above in the comparison photo (which has 5 slightly smaller cars), you can end up with anything from 0 to 5 cars in the lot whereas with the SHK cluster you always end up with a full lot. I guess I could use the smaller carclusters but it would be nice to have one prop that could cover all bases (plus I would still have BMW's etc where they don't belong. I'll admit I may be looking too closely at this, but that's part of the attraction to this game and the community: the level of attention to detail that is taken by some people). And as a permanent disclaimer, I might just have misunderstood what you were saying and talked a load of BS... *;)

You could always make 2 or three lots, each exactly the same, but use a different variation of the car cluster on each (one with the 2 cluster, one with 3 cluster and one with 4, for example).  Since the lots are small, they should be quick to make.  When they grow in game you will get a lot of parked car diversity.  *:)

Also, rather than making a lot for each store, you could mod your stores with a building/prop family and that will allow a random store to pop up each time the lot grows.  (cuts down on the number of lots)
I'd be happy to whip up the lots and mod the buildings if you would rather not spend the time learning that stuff.  

thingfishs likes this

Thanks SimCoug for your lateral thoughts and generous offer... :thumb:

4 hours ago, SimCoug said:

Also, rather than making a lot for each store, you could mod your stores with a building/prop family and that will allow a random store to pop up each time the lot grows.

I'm aware of this sort of setup (SimGoober & Deadwoods' retail series come to mind), but as this project has progressed, I've used the opportunity to BAT again for the first time in many years and have created some store specific props to go with some of these. For example, some table setups for my CIBO Cafe (not sure whether to go with both styles of table or just one):

cibo.JPG.18040c898a7cb2e81e2f4a7c097e3f8b.JPG

So I'm thinking some of the lots themselves will be too specific too allow for the prop family idea...? Plus they're well on their way to completion. After a few setbacks, gnashing of teeth and the like, I think I better understand where I'm at with this. I finally have all buildings in 1X1 & 2X2 lots actually ALL showing up in game. The textures are done and at least half the props - and that was just tonight (as my third time doing them I've picked up some speed). So I think we're heading towards the end.

I think the only thing still bugging me are the cars:

4 hours ago, SimCoug said:

You could always make 2 or three lots, each exactly the same, but use a different variation of the car cluster on each

I'm guessing this idea ties in with the second in that you would be proposing 3 lots total, (plus building prop families)? (as opposed to 3 lots of each building with differing clusters??

Either way none of these ideas will stop BMW's and Aston Martins etc from parking their cars there. So, unless I discover that it's just too hard, I'm still leaning towards creating a new prop family from the SHK pack (minus the luxury cars) in a fashion that performs as the Maxis one does (not all or nothing). I assume in Reader there would be someway if necessary to copy & paste the attributes from it to a new family. Or load the Maxis one, point it towards different car models and give it new TGI's or whatever...? I also think it would be a handy thing for other lot makers.

So... how hard will that be to achieve?

bobolee likes this

Prop families are simple. They are defined solely by the presence of the Prop Family ID entry in the prop exemplar.

Once you get a range of family IDs assigned to you from the BSC folks, you can tag whatever props you like with them, and the Prop Family will then appear on next launch of Pim-X.

For the SHK props, probably best to copy their exemplars to a new .dat file and change/randomize the Instance IDs for each prop exemplar, before adding prop family ID entries. That way your mod won't affect the original SHK mod's function.

Looking at what you want to do, I think you want to make a custom prop family for use with SHK's props, which is reasonably easy to achieve. Start by working out exactly which props you want to appear on your lots and collecting the prop exemplars for them in a new DAT. Then in reader highlight them all, right click and select "Generate new group and instance", which will give them all new unique IDs. You might want to edit the prop names at this point, to differentiate them in the lot editor. Now just replace the current Building/Prop family with one of the unique id's assigned to you. You might want to use multiple families that do different things. Also you should note that the ones used by SHK are in timed groups, so the cars change throughout a day. Although if the plan is simply to remake the SHK groupings so that the flash cars aren't part of them, you don't need to concern yourself with this overly.

matias93 likes this