• Moose
  • Announcements

• Dirktator

Please help us for June & July   06/20/2017

This month we're hoping for a little bit of a boost this month or next, in addition to covering the regular bills, we could benefit from some hardware upgrades. STEX Collector's Set gifts can now be sent to you via digital download as well as regular mail if you wish! Every donation dollar goes toward keeping Simtropolis online and humming along. Your contribution counts! Hardware Upgrades As our website community software improves with more and more features, and as we bolt on additional features such as chat, the increased load to handle all these new toys is taking the server a bit to task. You may have noticed that we'd been forced to temporarily disable the chat as we worked out allocating resources for more optimal performance. Following this, we've applied a number of 'soft' changes such as caching options and experimented with server configurations (nginx as proxy, for example), so the hardware aspect is also an area we'd like to focus on. The last time we upgraded hardware was back in 2012, prior to the release of SC13. Your contribution means a lot! Your donation will go toward helping us to 1.) migrate to a newer server or 2.) at least get some ram/cpu/storage updates and any other infrastructure hardware or services. Donate and Get a Gift or Donate Any Amount Thanks so much! - Dirktator & The Admins
The Milkman

Desktop.. Everyone has one of these!

2,889 posts in this topic

Sharr, really?? or is it just a roomer(don't know how to spell it) or are you just kidding?? cause you reeeeally got my hopes up
3.gif

Aside from the fact that she's alive in the comic books... Jennifer Garner is in negotiations about doing an Elektra spinoff. The article came out about a week or two after the movie opening. Can find the article at eonline.com, Zap2It.com... etc. or search news.google.com for jennifer garner AND elektra.

Yes that 'aww' was my thought too when I saw this picture. GOt a whole buncu of other real cute cat pictures.

wow, do I feel lazy! I had to actually 'Show Desktop' to see what my desktop is. I am usually running 5 - 10 apps at a time. Milkman, doesn't that eat up an awful lot of resources? I remember playing with WindowBlinds a couple of years ago and that was terrible. I try not to do anything that will upset Windows 14.gif

to milkman:
i don't have aol cos i live outside the USA, but i just added you to my msn messenger list. Else, could you explain it in here? thanks

Sorry to dredge a thread out of the dusty  corners of the closet, but I just wished to comment about Koly's desktop looking very good. And a small  suggestion to perhaps improve  the look is to change the silver taskbar to a red matching the vampiress' hair. 2.gif then the desktop would look wonderful IMO.

I tend to be a color matching type who likes to coordinate colors of desktop with the wallpaper I use. On win98 due to some games and affordability issues.

/idealbb/files/adley.jpg

Adley - I notice you are a Mailwasher user. So was I until a few days ago, but I have just discovered Matador which has changed my outlook completely - one tenth the work, and far more effective. You can give it a 30 day trial (although it does tag your e-mails when on trial), or buy it for $29.95, which I did within 2 days!

Notice most of us have a Sim city 4 shourt cut? HEHEHEHEHEHE

btw I didnt think this many people would have Xp... it rocks! (no offence... in thwe Windows Catagorey it does... never tried anything else)

----------------

On 5/15/2003 3:22:26 AM marquisite wrote:

Notice most of us have a Sim city 4 shourt cut? HEHEHEHEHEHE

btw I didnt think this many people would have Xp... it rocks!
9.gif
(no offence... in thwe Windows Catagorey it does... never tried anything else)

----------------

Ok, XP is evil. The most stable and greatest windows OS is windows 2k, The only other OS. I would ever considering installing is the new Server 2003 (just to show off to people on IRC )

the only reson I hate 2000 is coz the version our school has crashes all the time and does crazy things like opening the cd rom before shut down.

But the other versions... maybe there beter 2.gif

About 58% of our hits are from XP users, and about 19% from 2k. (one poor visitor was still using windows 3.x!!)

2k adv. server is extremely stable and I'd use it but i like my computer to take less than a year to boot up 22.gif

Prof. is great but i have thought about upgrading to xp....right now this computer is really boring, but I might boot up my decent computer and take a screenshot. In the mean time

/idealbb/files/golfbunny1.jpg

Ah yes, that round grey circle that I dont use at all I use Neoplanet''s inboard email thing.. I hate outlook. Its one of those programs that needs cleaned from my comp

Speaking of XP, I''d get it, but noty on a reg comp, or if I do get it on a reg comp.. I better be getting the close to maxed out. Otherwise prolly I''d get xp Pro on a laptop.. XP I dont care for as my grandmother has it.. But xp does look good.. I just need to get more ram and better boot up drive.

Also a side note.. Has any1 decided to  feed symatecs greedy fingers and pay for update subscriptions? I personally think that stinks, I cant afford to shell out money for subscription to simply update virus definition files... Anyway... /end side note

Personally I use Norton Antivirus and pay for the virus defs.

I have only ever downloaded a virus once....Unfortunately it was a really bad one (before i have a virus scanner) and pretty much killed the PC for a few days and I spent a few days getting bad looks from anyone who needed the computer

But, I think that most computers should have a virus scanner just to be sure...paying for virus defs. isn''t expensive but if you dont want to pay for them dont im never going to call you cheap for it

being the master of cheap myself

I apologise in advance for the sheer size of this thing.  Sorry.  Photoshop just wouldn't squeeze it any smaller.  The only difference between this and the actual state of my desktop is that Trillian has been reduced in size to protect the innocent hide the names of my IM contacts.

/idealbb/files/aran.jpg

----------------

On 5/15/2003 4:20:08 AM golfbunny wrote:

Personally I use Norton Antivirus and pay for the virus defs.

----------------

Ditto - it''s a nuisance to have to pay, but it''s well worth it, and I find it works really well, and is very straightforward to use. I also resent having top pay for a decent spam filter, but it''s just dealing with reality, I guess!

Fluff - is that a special place pic, or just one that took your fancy?

Just one that came with windows....I''ve got some great beach shots from the northern end of australia though

----------------

On 5/15/2003 4:56:02 AM golfbunny wrote:

Just one that came with windows....I''ve got some great beach shots from the northern end of australia though

----------------

Golf, what did you edit out of your screenshot??!?!

I can see you edited two icons from your systray by your clock...

I''m curious now

This is one of my 6 virtual desktops, I run blackbox for windows with a personnal style file on Win2k Pro 1.gif
/idealbb/files/nekonota.jpg

Here is the image before I resized it, 2.gif

Aran, you mentioned Triliian and I saw it on your desktop. Could you (or anyone else) give me a review and a good points/bad points rating for it.

Cheers. (Ill put my desktop here as soon as I have cleared it a little so you can see the pic)

Trillian is da bomb. You can use one application for all your instant messaging accounts. The only drawback is the lack of support for voice/conferencing on AIM and MSN. But then, I don''t have Trillian Pro - is that available there, Aran?

Hmm? Sorry, what? Is what available where? Voice messaging on Trillian Pro? I don''t believe so, no. I actually use the free version because I have serious issues with paying $25 a year for a bloody chat interface. If they stop supporting the free version, I''ve got a copy of Odigo somewhere on this machine...