• Moose
  • Announcements

• Dirktator

Please help us for June & July   06/20/2017

This month we're hoping for a little bit of a boost this month or next, in addition to covering the regular bills, we could benefit from some hardware upgrades. STEX Collector's Set gifts can now be sent to you via digital download as well as regular mail if you wish! Every donation dollar goes toward keeping Simtropolis online and humming along. Your contribution counts! Hardware Upgrades As our website community software improves with more and more features, and as we bolt on additional features such as chat, the increased load to handle all these new toys is taking the server a bit to task. You may have noticed that we'd been forced to temporarily disable the chat as we worked out allocating resources for more optimal performance. Following this, we've applied a number of 'soft' changes such as caching options and experimented with server configurations (nginx as proxy, for example), so the hardware aspect is also an area we'd like to focus on. The last time we upgraded hardware was back in 2012, prior to the release of SC13. Your contribution means a lot! Your donation will go toward helping us to 1.) migrate to a newer server or 2.) at least get some ram/cpu/storage updates and any other infrastructure hardware or services. Donate and Get a Gift or Donate Any Amount Thanks so much! - Dirktator & The Admins
danielcote

Show us your Roundabouts & Intersections

253 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, philforhockey51 said:

@rsc204  Thank you. I was hoping to avoid a roundabout at this intersection, would like to use a traffic light intersection at this location.

Well, you seem to have some corners filled with plazas. Maybe you could do something by splitting the diagonal avenue into two one-way roads that intersect with the North/South and East/West avenues at different spots? This would reduce it to a regular, orthogonal avenue intersection plus two one-ways road branching off/joining. Just a thought. :)

philforhockey51 likes this

On 4/15/2014 at 7:23 AM, 11241036 said:

This is a picture of a large roundabout in one of my cities (approx. 140,000 inhabitants currently). I'm pretty sure that this is one of my oldest cities, and I haven't been working on it in a while, so I need to thoroughly rework several things, especially the residentials which are mostly Maxis default. Hope you forgive me. Nevertheless, I really like this setting: A roundabout connecting 5 main road arteriae plus a small street. Since I like a little bit of nature in even my large cities, there's a small pond inside the roundabout.

2o43thjr.png

How did you make this roundabout?  I've tried to make one like it but haven't gotten it right yet.

3 hours ago, 11241036 said:

@jonnboy1976 I did this to get it:

1. This type of roundabout takes up about 10x10 tiles, so plan accordingly.

2. Drag an octogonal one-way road like this:

gj6sto4u.jpg

3. Then, for diagonal avenues, start dragging at the highlighted area, or drag right into it.

tvxkovb2.jpg

4. When you are done, place 1x1 street stubs at the 8 locations marked with a blue circle (just click once there with the street tool). This will convert the sharp 135° curves to smooth curves, similarly to how you can make smooth curves with roads.

svwrdtbj.jpg

Thank you!  I'm going to try it.   :)

Ooh, is that the Santa Fe Super Chief?

Here's something I'm trying out. An AVE-4 overpass with OWR-2 to enhance traffic flow. Has this been proven to not work? I never really see anybody use it.

Inb4, yes I am a dork for the Grass Lands terrain mod. It looks cartoony, which appeals to me. Also the ingame Maxis bus stops (17K capacity?? Lol, okay!)

AVE4-overpass.png

23 hours ago, Razzion said:

Here's something I'm trying out. An AVE-4 overpass with OWR-2 to enhance traffic flow. Has this been proven to not work? I never really see anybody use it

Issue with this design is that it does not support left hand turns. Traffic will need to make a U-turn somewhere up the road which can increase traffic congestion.

matias93 likes this

12 hours ago, Haljackey said:

Issue with this design is that it does not support left hand turns. Traffic will need to make a U-turn somewhere up the road which can increase traffic congestion.

Ahh, of course!! I completely failed to consider that! I knew I was missing something. Thank you so much. I will fix it right away.

Time for a little bump!

How to connect 4 important road arteriae (or at least they are supposed to be important) and one side road with each other, complete with GLR routes, and along a railway that doesn't like at-grade intersections: Build the weirdest intersection of all time. (A basic intersection would have probably done it, but, oh well, Mayor 11241036 has to do it the hard way.)

vz6k7r2w.jpg

raynev1, Terring and Haljackey like this