• Moose
  • Announcements

• Dirktator

March goal: We're almost there!   03/20/2017

Hi Community! We're almost there for our March goals!  I just wanted to keep the momentum going so if you are able to help, please donate and get some gifts in exchange! Thanks so much to those who have helped out this month, we really appreciate it.
ididntdidit

Show Us your: HIGHWAYS!!!

709 posts in this topic

I cant currently post pictures but I would love to see all of yours! be sure to post a picture

Check out the show us your interchanges thread, you might find something you like...

ididntdidit:  Nice idea for a thread!  Most of them open with some pictures though.  You can always EDIT (bottom right of your message) your post to post some pictures of your own when you can post pictures.

Also, I'd ask that the title of this thread be changed to "Show Us your HIGHWAYS" to better reflect the worldwide definition and their use in SC4.  You can also change the title by EDITING your post.

Thanks!

smarty218: Yes, but those are for interchanges, not the highways themselves.  I like the idea of having another thread for the actual highways themselves.

Anyways, I have a quick moment to post some pictures while I am here, let me know what you think.

PLEASE click on the images to view them in FULL RESOLUTION!  My images are compressed, not resized!

Busy urban thoroughfare

The image

Sandbar containing a highway bypass

The image

Evening Rush Hour on the Multi-RHW

The image

Airport thruway

The image

12-lane "dual" highway

ryansultimatecityaug143vv2.jpg

12-lane "multi" highway AND a 2 lane highway

escapenov18301179529159wg8.jpg

heres a pic from one of my newer cities called Aberdeen. its my 1st canal city. im a huge fan of Peg so these are his canals with my highway.

Aberdeen-Sep10211197296164.jpg

Aberdeen-Oct19211197296343.jpg

2 people like this

here it goes...

Mereport-Apr16101197266916.jpg

a downtown t-bone, yea it could go in the interchange one, but this threads less intimidating..

Mereport-Apr19101197266938.jpg

spring is in the air, as the highway cuts through a dense area..

Mereport-May28101197267097.jpg

Mereport-Oct2101197267887.jpg

a more distanced out shot, now with foliage.

Mereport-Sep13111197273099.jpg

cloverleaf, meet Y-stack.

1 person likes this

Busy urban thoroughfare

The image

quote>

@ Haljacky: I absolutly LOVE the pictures you posted! 2 questions, though...first, how did you get the streetlights on the above pic to come up more reguraly? Any time I do it, the come up sporadically and dont line up. Secondly, where did you get those "Big Dig" syle signs from? Are those by Blahdy? Links would help, thanks again and awesome pictures!

Here's a mosaic I did a long time ago...:

DaytimeMosaicPicture1.jpg

DaytimeMosaicPicture2real.jpg

DaytimeMosaicPicture3.jpg

DaytimeMosaicPicture4.jpg

DaytimeMosaicPicture5.jpg

DaytimeMosaicPicture6.jpg

DaytimeMosaicPicture7.jpg

DaytimeMosaicPicture8.jpg

DaytimeMosaicPicture9.jpg

DaytimeMosaicPicture10.jpg

4 people like this

JCarter: About the streetlights, I didn't do anything special.  All you have to do is polp props next to the highway to make them appear more (like highway sound walls and parks).  About the Big Dig signs, they are part of the latest version of the Big Dig project.  Blahdy's flies are locked here on the STEX (I don't know why) but you can download them on the BSCX over at SC4D's LEX. 

tahill79: Whoa!  Neat waterfalls!  (and highways!) One thing, your sunken highway, its a little steep when the highway comes back to ground level.  Thought I should let ya know.

vilbe: Nice job! By the way, why is this thread "less intimidating" than the interchange thread?  I would love to see more of what you have made over there!

masochist: One of the largest mosaics I have ever seen!  Looks great too! 

While I am here, I may as well post some pictures of some more of my highways.  I am working on my largest interchange ever when 2 12 lane highways intersect.  See more details and pictures over at the

Show Us Your Interchanges! Thread.

Click on the images to view them in FULL RESOLUTION!

Construction of a new bypass is nearly completed:

http://img252.imageshack.us/img252/7232/sudburynov2413119742953ll6.jpg

Lakeside highway and a well defended fusion reactor

The image

A rural highway.  This rail intersection will be upgraded to an overpass and the highway widened once the area develops.

The image

The rural highway merges to fit onto a tight 2 lane bridge.  Again, another bridge will be constructed when traffic warrants it.

The image

The other side of the bridge.  This could go into the interchange thread, but this picture showcases the h

WOW stunning stuff here!!! BTW hal how is that you get the ground highway to split, ive tried and failed, just cant seem to get it....

Hey Masochist, lol you might wanna check your mosaic its seems to have stretched out in a wrong direction....

Thanks for showing these pics guys props to all of you. The reason I wanted to start this thread was to spark NEW ideas for not just myself but for everyone. Continue to send in pics and i enjoy your guys' comments have a nice day to all of you! Oh and nice job tahill79 on the canal/highway intergration

Originally posted by: patfirefghtr

WOW stunning stuff here!!! BTW hal how is that you get the ground highway to split, ive tried and failed, just cant seem to get it....

Hey Masochist, lol you might wanna check your mosaic its seems to have stretched out in a wrong direction....

quote>

Really?  Hmm...looks all right to me.  What browser are you using?

And to split ground highways, you just run an elevated highway over one half of it, and it will take the place of one side of the ground highway.  Then you can erase the elevated one.  You have to start the El-HW a couple of tiles behind the ground one to get it to work...

Originally posted by: patfirefghtr

BTW hal how is that you get the ground highway to split, ive tried and failed, just cant seem to get it....quote>

Well, it took me a while to get used to it too.  Pretty much its laying two ground highways side by side and dragging an elevated highway down the centre tiles.  Then, all you have to do is delete the elevated highway and replace it with a ground highway.

Lakeyboy's multi-highway guide can better explain this if you still don't understand.  You can download it HERE.

EDIT: Heres a new one from me.  A 2 lane ANT network and a bike path in the forest.  This is also known as a "RHW-2"

Click on the image to view it in FULL RESOLUTION!

The image

Best,

-Haljackey

Wow, I'm so jealous! These cities look amazing. Good job guys, and thank you for sharing your pix with us. I must say I have a few new ideas now o.0

LoL Masochist its fine now but for some reason, more then likely a st bugger i guess cause everything to stretch the wrong way for me that day but now its fine as it should be hmmm..... Also thank you Masochist and Hal I will try that for sure and see if i can get it to work now for sure.....

Wow, nice highways, simply awesome use of aesthetic charm, but in my cities, I like to link them up with a large railroading network, as highways are extremely expensive and for my largest city (Nueva Jersy City) cutting through and Urban area is not a very cost-effecient operation at this time. I continue to wonder where some of your guys get the idea to build such beautiful and efficnet highway transit systems!

Originally posted by: NYankees24 Wow, nice highways, simply awesome use of aesthetic charm, but in my cities, I like to link them up with a large railroading network, as highways are extremely expensive and for my largest city (Nueva Jersy City) cutting through and Urban area is not a very cost-effecient operation at this time. I continue to wonder where some of your guys get the idea to build such beautiful and efficnet highway transit systems!quote>

Practice, patience.  Just look at all the pros on here and you'll get a hang of it.

ok heres a new highway from my city Yellow Springs.

the 1st pic im gonna show is the highway just a few years into my city. the city has a river that runs right thru the center and it devides the city in half. i put the highway in as a quick way for commuters to get from the ferry all the way to the industrial area of this land. i was tryin to cut the commute time down so thats why i added it in.

before the expansion

YellowSprings-May30311197646185-1.jpg

what i had came up with as an interchange for a split highway. i know it looks confusing but it actually works really well.

YellowSprings-Oct1801198334310.jpg

now you can see the area start to come to life

YellowSprings-Nov5801198334396.jpg

a zoomed out view

YellowSprings-Nov26801198334491.jpg

a view from the other side and after some development

YellowSprings-Jul17861198338698.jpg

heres some more pix of this highway further down the road.

an on/off ramp

YellowSprings-Nov8801198334417.jpg

a different angle of the same ramps

YellowSprings-Aug8861198338796.jpg

a hill that i made for the highway to go over and to avenues to go thru

YellowSprings-Jul25901198340555.jpg

Wow, great job with the split highways, the split highway interchange is excellent.

tahill79:  In this picture, aren't you forgetting thru traffic?  See the picture below.

(Sorry for by bad paint skills, I was in a rush)

The image

Other than that, its a neat design!

Thats a weird perspective on that picture. Great job with the highways.

haljackey--yeah i didnt need to do that yet cause nobody uses the other lanes for their evening commute. maybe i should add it in there and see if they start to use it that way.

thanx for the comments everybody sorry im just now getting back to Ohio from PA. girlfriends mom has dial up so i dont even attempt to get on ST.

merry Christmas everbody

1 person likes this