• Moose
  • Announcements

• Dirktator

Please help us for July   06/30/2017

This month we're hoping for a little bit of a boost this month or next, in addition to covering the regular bills, we could benefit from some hardware upgrades. STEX Collector's Set gifts can now be sent to you via digital download as well as regular mail if you wish! Every donation dollar goes toward keeping Simtropolis online and humming along. Your contribution counts! Hardware Upgrades As our website community software improves with more and more features, and as we bolt on additional features such as chat, the increased load to handle all these new toys is taking the server a bit to task. You may have noticed that we'd been forced to temporarily disable the chat as we worked out allocating resources for more optimal performance. Following this, we've applied a number of 'soft' changes such as caching options and experimented with server configurations (nginx as proxy, for example), so the hardware aspect is also an area we'd like to focus on. The last time we upgraded hardware was back in 2012, prior to the release of SC13. Your contribution means a lot! Your donation will go toward helping us to 1.) migrate to a newer server or 2.) at least get some ram/cpu/storage updates and any other infrastructure hardware or services. Donate and Get a Gift or Donate Any Amount Thanks so much! - Dirktator & The Admins
Jasoncw

BAT - Troubleshooting & General Discussion

1,529 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, rsc204 said:

The file "texture fix" is on this page, under the Building Architect Tool.

I wouldn't install new Modelnames.ms files.

I'm confused now. The link you gave to SC4Devotion contains such Modelnames.ms files.

And btw when I look at the size these two files are the same as the two files I found on the web.

I meant I wouldn't install random ones you found on the internet. It's possible to do many things by adjusting those scripts. So personally I have no idea what the one you "found on the web" is designed to do. Since the one on SC4D is the original Maxis files (hosted with EA's permission), you can be sure that's right.

Ah O.K. I put these files from the web nowhere because before you gave me the link (thanks!) I had no clue where to put them. It seems that I must put only the Modelnames.ms into the scripts folder, right? Because these "._Modelnames.ms" file is only 70 Bytes. SC4Dev talks only about putting THE script file into the scripts folder but their zip file contains these TWO files.

There are two script file, named slightly differently in the update, you should install both, which should overwrite the existing files (perhaps make a backup/move the originals first).

Assuming you've installed gMax in the default location, the folder to place these updated files into is C:\gmax\gamepacks\BAT\scripts.

4 hours ago, rsc204 said:
4 hours ago, rsc204 said:

There are two script file, named slightly differently in the update, you should install both, which should overwrite the existing files (perhaps make a backup/move the originals first).

Like I said, the update consists of two files, "Modelnames.ms" and "._Modelnames.ms". But in the scripts folder exists only "Modelnames.ms". That's the reason why I asked about only putting in "Modelnames.ms". "._Modelnames.ms" cannot overwrite anything because it does not exist in the scripts folder. And SC4Dev only talks about putting in THE script file. The instruction is not unambiguous.

Well I don't know why you only have one, because you should have two. Either way, placing both files in that folder should be sufficient for gMax to pick them up upon starting SC4 BAT.

I had textured something in Gmax, and it shows correctly in the viewport, but in the Grenderer, it shows too bright. I've never had this problem before, where's the settings for the GRenderer?

I wouldn't globally adjust the settings for brightness. This is a common thing, it's normally necessary to darken all textures for use in SC4 BAT so they render correctly.

In gmax the viewport is terrible. Colors and uvw mapping and everything else isn't accurate. The preview render is what will be in the game so go by that exclusively. :) 

madhatter106 likes this

I just reinstalled gmax so I could re-visit my old BAT projects (and possibly start new ones!) but then I realized I left behind a bunch of textures from my old computer. In theory, I could retrieve them, but would I have to put them back where gmax thinks I have to put them back, and once they are all there, can I move them around? It sounds like a stupid question, but I really don't want to have to make guesses about how I colored the building from screenshots I took previously.

Hi

Just wondering if someone could help me out.  two years ago I started doing some bating and submitted 2 files, was working on another which was having a few problems, wondering if someone could help me out and take a look at what i was working on see if it is solvable.

thanks

I dont know what the problem was, as I dont really know what I am doing, was hoping somebody could have a look at it and see what the problems are.

Well I think what @Jasoncw is saying is, describe the symptoms. I.e. what is not working as expected. Even if someone were able to take a look at it, such an expansive question leaves too many if's, to really know what to look for.

For example the problem could be with the texturing or rendering, which if you didn't send the textures, would not be obvious. As usual in these situations, the more information you can provide (screenshots can be useful too), the more likely that someone will be able to assist you.

I am new to trying to creating models with the BAT. I have downloaded version 1.12 of GMAX and the Building Architect Tool. I found out how to get a registration code for GMAX and have set that up. My GMAX files are loaded into a subdirectory of SimCity4 for the convenience of knowing where everything is and BAT is loaded into the GAMEPACKS subfolder. When I try to launch the BAT using the BAT Launcher within that folder I get an error that states : No plug-in directory was found:3DSMAX.

I found the plugins.ini file has the following entries:

[Directories]
Standard gmax plug-ins=StdPlugs\
Additional gmax plug-ins=plugins\
BAT=gamepacks\BAT\plugins\
[Help]
BAT=gamepacks\BAT\help\BATHelp.chm

Do I need to add something to this file so the BAT can look in the proper location?

I should probably mention I am trying to run this on a Windows7 (x64) system.

Never Mind: I found out what was causing my trouble. - There was already a version of GMAX loaded on my system in my windows7 ProgramFiles (x86) directory. I copied the new BAT folder over to that version's GAMEPACKS folder and I can now open the BAT.

Hi folks, I've got some problem with displaying model after export from 3ds to the game.
I've done about 20 exports to the game without any troubles but now something gone wrong.
Here is my issue:

Y37Tjt.png

What causes this problem? Is it some kind of TGI conflict? How to solve it? Do you have any idea?

2 hours ago, Mańkowsky said:

Hi folks, I've got some problem with displaying model after export from 3ds to the game.
I've done about 20 exports to the game without any troubles but now something gone wrong.
Here is my issue:

What causes this problem? Is it some kind of TGI conflict? How to solve it? Do you have any idea?

That looks like texture ID conflict. Download the Texture Fix and copy the ModelNames.ms file to C:\gmax\gamepack\bat\scripts\. Try to export again, that usually solves the problem.

When you have that kind of doubt, I recommend you to take a look at the BAT Mega FAQ before, sometimes it can be faster than wait someone to help you :)

It's a few days now - when I render in background and do something else after each turn rendering stops with the popping up question 'Really Cancel?" - so I have to check back every couple of minutes and say 'No' to continue. So it's also impossible to leave the computer alone during rendering.

Did someone experience this too and knows how to stop that nagging canceling question?

If you are using SC4BAT, I'd say that's pretty much par for the course. The application is very old and doesn't meld well with the concept of multi-tasking. Thus when switching focus from the App, it may stop the render process. Frankly, even with 3DS Max, I leave rendering well alone until it's finished. If you are only making small simple models, it shouldn't be too long to wait it out.

I'm going to post here as well in case it isn't seen on my BAT thread...
I'm having the same maxis texture issue as many others have had on this thread, the only problem is that the texture fix ("Modelnames.ms" and "._Modelnames.ms") are installed in the gmax script folder and I haven't seen any change.  

It seems to happen at random - I did a test by starting a brand new scene for something like 16 basic boxes... you can see the results below.  The issue only seems to affect the two closest zooms... far out zooms seem unaffected.   I even completely reinstalled the BAT and the texture fix (model names script).  Same results.  Any other ideas?
4h6sC63.jpg

Do you remember which of the boxes went wrong? If you exported 16 times from one scene I still suspect it's that you're exporting too much from the same scene. 

21 minutes ago, Jasoncw said:

Do you remember which of the boxes went wrong? If you exported 16 times from one scene I still suspect it's that you're exporting too much from the same scene. 

That's the thing, I opened gmax fresh each time, so I think they should be completely new scenes each time... Unless I'm doing something wrong.  So 16 separate scenes and I get the glitch on over half of them.

I opened gmax fresh each time, so I think they should be completely new scenes each time... Unless I'm doing something wrong.  So 16 separate scenes and I get the glitch on over half of them

When I do multiple colour variations of the same bat, in addition to opening the bat afresh each time, I would File -> Merge the last bat (minus the LODS, TB2 Camera Handle and Thumbnail Camera) into the fresh scene and then save as.

SimCoug and Jasoncw like this

Just to be 100% clear on the terminology (because this is all that I can think of), "the scene" is basically the file itself. So if you start a new scene/file, put something in it, save it (or even "save as" or "increment on save" it), close gmax and reopen gmax and one of those files, it's still the same scene. 

To get existing models into new scenes you should do what Matt described. 

I can't think of anything else unfortunately. *:(

SimCoug likes this

Looks like the textures appearing on them have conflicted with Maxis props/models... that's what the modelfix update deals with, so I'd have to assume it's not installed correctly. Perhaps the ID is still locked to the old one if you installed the fix after creating the files? In which case, creating a new file and merging in the objects should resolve it.

SimCoug likes this

I'm having the same maxis texture issue as many others have had on this thread, the only problem is that the texture fix ("Modelnames.ms" and "._Modelnames.ms") are installed in the gmax script folder and I haven't seen any change.  

By the way, just to be sure. In which folder you put the texture fix? It should be in C:\Gmax\gamepacks\BAT\scripts folder. Gmax has in the main folder a subfolder which is also called "scripts" but I believe that it is wrong folder.

SimCoug, rsc204 and Fantozzi like this

5 hours ago, Bombardiere said:

By the way, just to be sure. In which folder you put the texture fix? It should be in C:\Gmax\gamepacks\BAT\scripts folder. Gmax has in the main folder a subfolder which is also called "scripts" but I believe that it is wrong folder.

Yes, I did have it installed in that directory... BUT... I was searching around and I realized that there was also a 'gamepacks' folder in my 'Program Files (x86)' folder which seemed to hold all my BAT stuff.  I replaced the modelnames file in that folder and things seem to work fine now.  

So, the question is, should I just move the entire 'gamepacks' folder over from where it is in 'program files' into the gmax folderd (root c directory)?  Or does it matter at this point?

Thanks for the help everybody - I know something wasn't right when I kept getting the maxis textures.  

Interesting. May be you have a "double" installation. For me GMAX has always tried to install at C:\GMAX folder by default. Never in the Program Files. Sounds like your system is using the gamepacks scripts from Program File folder.

I don't thing it does matter at this point. BAT models can be save in any folder. It is gamepack by default. Off course it might be easier when everything is in one place.

SimCoug likes this