• Moose
  • Announcements

• Dirktator

Please help us for July   06/30/2017

This month we're hoping for a little bit of a boost this month or next, in addition to covering the regular bills, we could benefit from some hardware upgrades. STEX Collector's Set gifts can now be sent to you via digital download as well as regular mail if you wish! Every donation dollar goes toward keeping Simtropolis online and humming along. Your contribution counts! Hardware Upgrades As our website community software improves with more and more features, and as we bolt on additional features such as chat, the increased load to handle all these new toys is taking the server a bit to task. You may have noticed that we'd been forced to temporarily disable the chat as we worked out allocating resources for more optimal performance. Following this, we've applied a number of 'soft' changes such as caching options and experimented with server configurations (nginx as proxy, for example), so the hardware aspect is also an area we'd like to focus on. The last time we upgraded hardware was back in 2012, prior to the release of SC13. Your contribution means a lot! Your donation will go toward helping us to 1.) migrate to a newer server or 2.) at least get some ram/cpu/storage updates and any other infrastructure hardware or services. Donate and Get a Gift or Donate Any Amount Thanks so much! - Dirktator & The Admins
Jasoncw

BAT - Troubleshooting & General Discussion

1,529 posts in this topic

BAT - Troubleshooting & General Discussion

This thread is for troubleshooting, asking questions, giving answers, requesting tutorials, posting tutorials, and BAT discussion in general.  For 3ds max specific troubleshooting or discussion, go to 3ds Max - Troubleshooting or 3ds Max - Think Tank.

Before posting here, check the rest of this thread, the BAT - Mega FAQ, and the Omnibus.  You can also look through the following threads:

BAT Help - Render Related Issues

BAT Help - Lighting

BAT Help - General BAT Problems

BAT Help - Modelling Issues

BAT Help - LODs And Miscellaneous BAT Problems

BAT Help - Texturing Issues

If you post a tutorial, please put a header at the top of the tutorial with a title (like how this thread does), so that it is easier to find tutorials when scrolling through the pages.

A list of useful links, and links to tutorials, is maintained in the first post of the BAT - Mega FAQ.

mrsmartman and Fantozzi like this

This seems like the most appropriate thread to post in. Jasoncw, BTW, you have done a nice job so far of restructuring stickies in these two forums to make them convenient.

I have a problem with gmax. I downloaded it and when i click the installer, it prompts me to install Activesync 4.2 (a program used by Windows Mobile PDAs/Smartphones to syncronize data w/ the computer). This is so weird because i do have a PDA and activesync installed, but why... oh why would the gmax launcher prompt me to install activesync? if anyone can help/ has had this problem (not too likely), let me know.

thanks in advance

-Jon

ah!  The first person to use the new thread!

I have no idea why that would be happening.  One thing you can do though, is you can uninstall ActiveSync, then install Gmax, and then reinstall ActiveSync.

Other than that, I don't really know what to suggest.

Jason, Success!. i thought of that afterwards too, and it worked. i figured out the problem too. the Gmax installer uses files called .cab files, and those are the common files used in PDA phones operating on Windows Mobile OS (like my Samsung SCH-i730). Well, because Activesync recognized this type of file, it prompted me to install to an updated version of Activesync (from 4.0- 4.2).

So... if it happens to anyone else (which is really unlikely), there's your reason why. To fix it, Uninstall Activesync, then Install GMAX, then reinstal activesync as Jason suggested. easy enough.

Now i'm happily toying with BAT. hope to produce some good material soon for the community.

Hey!

I have a minor issue which is interfering in my batting experience. I have already batted the model, but I realized I needed Sc4 BAT and I downloaded it from Maxis.com...

The problem? While trying to open the installer, it states "Unable to copy plugin to plugin directory"... What can I do? I have redownloaded the GMAX program twice, and its driving me nuts.

I do have an educational copy of 3ds max 9, but im not sure whether it can export models to the lot maker, and all threads pertaining to 3ds max 9 is outdated... please advise?I would like to test this model before texturing so I can see whether my model looks good or not inside simcity.

Hope to hear from you very soon

Hello, 

So you've already reinstalled Gmax?  Maybe your BAT installer got messed up somehow, try redownloading that, and trying again.  I don't really know how to fix the problem.  Also check the Sim City site for FAQs or troubleshooting for it.

3ds max 9 should work, as long as you install it in the right directory (it should be in my computer, not program files (the default), check out the 3ds max troubleshooting thread).  But doesn't the educational version have a watermark on the renders?  If so, then there will also be a watermark on your BATs. 

For Sim City purposes, you'll need BAT4Max, which can be found in the modds and downloads section on this site.

okay i have no clue whats going on, my buildings messed up in the lot editor. im guessing it has to do with the LODs but i have no clue why. what should i do, make my own?

untitledwb3.jpg

thanks in advanced

I have a number of problems, all related with IDs.

First is the texture IDs: I have a problem with mine, where I keep getting a black box instead of my building in the closest zoom levels. (And my building is nice looking, so it can't be because SC4 and the lot editor are ashames to show it)

the second is my Lot ID, which makes SC4 completley replace the lot I have copied from ( A GLR station) with mine, rather than listing it seperateley.

Since I use the ID range 0xBD0##### range for my textures, is it possible to putmy BAT and lot in the same range as well?

Thanks.

The BATs (and I suppose lots) have a much larger range of possible IDs, so there is no list.  Conflicts are unlikely, but happen sometimes.

However, the range of possible IDs for textures and props is much smaller, so there is a list of IDs.  To avoid conflicts with your props and lot textures, request a range, the thread is stickied in the BSC Team Room, since they maintain it.  edit:  It looks like you already did.  1.gif

Can you post a screenshot of your black box?

When making the lot in the lot editor, make sure to "save as" so that you get a new lot.  I think that should avoid any problems like that.

Select your entire BAT, go to File>Save Selected and save what you have selected as a new file. Then open the new file, and refit your LODs. Now export it again and see what happens. Export it on draft to save time, and then if it works re export it on high.

Originally posted by: Jasoncw The BATs (and I suppose lots) have a much larger range of possible IDs, so there is no list.  Conflicts are unlikely, but happen sometimes.

However, the range of possible IDs for textures and props is much smaller, so there is a list of IDs.  To avoid conflicts with your props and lot textures, request a range, the thread is stickied in the BSC Team Room, since they maintain it.

Can you post a screenshot of your black box?

When making the lot in the lot editor, make sure to "save as" so that you get a new lot.  I think that should avoid any problems like that.quote>

Ok, the lot textures are already all in a range that was given to me, in that thread you mentioned.

I don't have a shot of what happens to my building, but the bat essentials thread has a pic of the same effect:

appendix3.jpg

(my building looks like the one on the right)

and with the lot editor, I open up a station, save it as mine, and do my changes, and my station is listed in-game instead of the origional.

I guess do what the BAT Essentials says.

As for the lot problem, as far as I know, saving it as a new lot should make it ok.  I guess from here you should post the question in one of the modding forums.

Hey J, having a render issue. Recently I have been putting out alot of freeway signs and now in response to some requests from our fellow gamers I am trying to expand my selection. For larry I am trying to make a custom brick shopping mall sign. It comes out fine in the BAT prior to exporting but when reaching the LE the sign (which is longer than "all" of my previous signs) is showing up with the left and right ends cutoff. Any thoughts?

JA/ATT

ja/att:  Go the the utilities tab on the right (the one with the hammer, and where you do renders), and find the button that says "refit LODs" and then, well, refit your LODs.

Hey everyone, I'm working through the BAT Essentials tutorial, trying to learn this program, and I have hit a brick wall. When I click the button for "gMax Material Editor", nothing happens... I do not get the settings box the tutorial says I should get. WhenI "Alt+Tab", its right there... but when I go to it it still doesn't come up. FYI, I have tried restarting the program to no avail. Is there a setting or other problem that would keep this box from opening.

Hello 1.gif

I'm not sure that I entirely understand your problem. 

When you click on the red sphere in the upper right hand corner of the screen, nothing happens.

and

When you press "alt+tab" it does come up?

Is that what's happening?

When I press "alt+tab", it shows on the little window that pops up for me to select which program to switch to... but when I select the Material Editor in that window it still doesn't actually show up where I can use it. I minimize all other programs, and it is not hiding behind them. It does not show up on the taskbar or task manager at all... but there it is on the "alt+tab" window.

FYI, the tutorial says that "The first time you open [the material editor] (by clicking that round button highlighted above), you'll get the window titled Material Editor." I pushed that button once before by accident, and not knowing what it was I just clicked the "x" at the top corner. I have never been able to open it since.

So when you click on the red sphere, nothing happens?

I really don't know what's wrong, but I'd suggest to just reinstall the program.

Hi there,

I'm having a BIG problem with my BAT software. I was following one of the tutorials (BAT essencials) available in the omnibus and the author indicated several times to use a button labeled "BAT" located in the Utilities menu which in term is located in the Command Panel.

From that button, I was supposed to do many things, among them, export my model so it could be placed in SC4.

Here is my problem, I'm not able to find that "BAT" button in my copy of Gmax. I've followed the exact same instructions as in the tutorial and I'm not able to find it. as a result, I cannot render any of my creations to place them in the game.

Maybe is just a matter of configuration or the author of the tutorial has a more advanced version of Gmax.

Here is the difference I'm talking about:

AS you can see, my version of Gmax (the gray figure) does not have the "BAT" button.

I'd appreciate if any of you guys can help me on this one, maybe is just a matter of configuration or maybe they have a different version but I don't think so since I got mine the same way as everyone, from Turbosquid.

Thanks for your help in advance..

Serpe

post-146634-12985079485165_thumb.jpg

post-146634-12985079486264_thumb.jpg

Open Gmax through the BAT icon, not through the Gmax icon.  That way, you load Gmax with all of the BAT related stuff. 1.gif

boisemetro likes this

Originally posted by: Jasoncw Open Gmax through the BAT icon, not through the Gmax icon.  That way, you load Gmax with all of the BAT related stuff. 1.gifquote>

Aaaaahhhhhh, thanks a lot Jason. Yes, it works now.

Thanks for your help again

Regards

It looks like my last saving to my work in BAT got corrupted. When i try open it now, i just get this message : "File open failed"

I tried open it in both Gmax and BAT with same message.

I see now that i should have saved my work with severall file names to make shure i had different back-ups. It looks like an big amount of work is gone, unless anyone have a tips.

Yeah, that's happened to me before.  I feel your pain.  15.gif

I added a post in the BAT Mega FAQ about it though.

Hey,

Does anyone know why the seats on the top left stands are like that - big line doen the middle? It is the same for allk renders and the large stand used to do the same but - for reasons I am unsure of - has stopped.

*Highlighted Area

atharenawx8.gif

PS: Also, what is the height of in-game trains?