Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

What was your first ever game & your gaming history?

163 posts in this topic

Posted

My first game was pacman on a sinclair ZX spectrum 48k (the one with the rubber keys!!) I still ahve the system in my attic boxed with teh original instructions and cassettes.

After this was the old Text adventure games on a BBC computer at boarding school in 1989, crystal collector etc.

When consoles came in well i remember playing simcity 2000 when it came out on my Dorm mates SNES.

When we went to archamedies computers at school the games got a bit better and I remember playing a driving game (sorry forgotten the name)

Then came my megadrive where I played sonic, streets of rage and my favourite at the time Flashback.

When my father got a more advanced computer (a 486!!) I had Prince of Persia, Stealth fighter and of course the highly addicatble Lemmings!!!!

In 1998 i got my playstation and Along with Simcity 2000 I started to get hooked on the final fantasy games (I still am now) and Gran tourismo.

During my Unviersity years Gran tourismo was always on in the kitchen with me and my flatmates battling out all the time on the race circuit.

Today with my own PC, I play a multitude of games (when i have time) from SC4 to Sims2, Fable, emergency 3 and of course the one i play the most final fantasy XI online.

Posted

Zork !

Posted

I don't remember what my very first game was, but it had 8-bit color and a bouncing ball.

Posted

i guess my first game was the very first Sonic the Hedgehog on the SAGA master system with 8 bit graphics i was only 4 or 5 ot the time so i can't remember it too well 42.gif

i got a playstation  in 1997 for my 7th birthday and got lots of games for a few years but only my favorites still survive today and some of my dads games (the medal of honors games, Broken sword, granturismo games, Toca touring cars and metal gear solid)4.gif

Then for christmas in 2003 i got a PS2 with a few games and iv'e been collecting ever since between me and my 2 brothers we own about 70-80 games 

and i am waiting for the PS3 to come out which i have been saving up for and me and my brother have about £120 saved up for it so far but we still have a long way to go17.gif

We also own an average PC after my other one died the Hard drive has gotten comp[letly corupted  it that can play most games of today but it needs a RAM  upgrade (256MB to 1024MB) so i havn't been able to play my favorite PC games (The movies, The sims2 and Sim city 4) as they get very slow

Thats a brief summary of my first game and my gaming history

Posted

Manic Miner - on a Spectrum 48k, and I used to love writing simple progs in spectrum BASIC - it seems, considering the technology, that it was centuries ago - but its not even 20 years ago !!!

Posted

Well, my first game was Mario. Just plain old Mario Bros.

Then, my parents jump-started my shooting game career by getting me Quake when I was 6. Then from that came Blood, Duke Nukem 3D, and various other action games that eventually glued me to the action/shooter genre.

Now today, own every Bond game, Medal of Honor, etc. My favorite game of all time is Perfect Dark for N64. I don't think there is another first person shooter that surpasses it, not even Halo, which I think is overrated. But I still play it.

Then I started playing varios RTS games like Rise of Nations and Command and Conquer, and those were pretty awesome.

But of course, the best Playstation games were Final Fantasy. There was never a more engaging game than FF7, and then FF9. Nothing could beat those graphics at that time, and both games blew me away in storyline and effectiveness. 

Metal Gear Solid 2 is the best movie I've seen.

Posted

I started playing PC games way back in 19896.gif!! The first one I played was ofcourse PAC MAN and very very soon i had my first experience with Space Invaders.  My dad used a PC 8088 based copmputer with a 360kb Hard Disk!! during that time.  I still fondly remember playing Star Gate for the first time, that was one fantastic games; it wasnt an easy game to master but it still was very very good. 

In 1993 I bought my first and last ever gaming console called the Nintendo-Samurai. I used to play a game called Contra [by Konami] a lot with my friends, because it allowed 2 players to play the game at the same time co-op, so that was a great leap for me from the dull b&w PC games.  I never liked Super Mario or Tetris much!!

In 1996, we bought a new 486 based PC with a 4 mb ram and a 66MHz processor but with a very important addition a new Colour Monitor.  On that I used to play Commander Keen! I loved that game.  That very year i was introduced to Wolfenstein 3D for the first time and that changed everything.  After finishing it, I got Doom and Doom2 in 1997 or there abouts.

My first Introduction to Simcity Classic happened in 1996, One of my relatives living in US bought and sent me that game in the original package.  My dad is an architect and he absolutely loved that game,  He was the one who actually taught me how to play that game well.  After 1 or 2 years I came to know about Simcity 2000.  I quickly got hold of my 'relative' and asked for that game, and i got my wish granted.  And there it was first 3d experience of City building.

For a long long time i only played SC2000 and SC3000U only.  I also got Civilization games [1 and 2] during 1997-99. I was very badly addicted to the original CIV 1 game.  But i gradually grew out of it.  I also tried Age of Empires and other such Strategy games but no other game had the same kind of replay value as Simcity or Civilization games.

Since than I graduated from college, got a job and wasted a lot of my hard earned money on computer upgrades and PC games. Right now I own a lot of very popular games like Call of Duty 2, FEAR, Simcity 4, Rush hour, Sims 2, Age of empires 3, Need for Speed most Wanted, etc.

I am saving right now for my own XBOX 360!2.gif

Posted

Originally posted by: The_Family_Guy

But of course, the best Playstation games were Final Fantasy. There was never a more engaging game than FF7, and then FF9. Nothing could beat those graphics at that time, and both games blew me away in storyline and effectiveness. quote>

Do you have a PS2? if you do , i urge you to play FFX, I am a huge fan of the FF series with 7 being one of my favourite, but 10 blows you away with the graphics detail and the cut scenes as well as a very good tragic storyline, definately a contender to go against 7!!!

Posted

Although 10 was a fantastic game, it was nowhere near as in depth as 7 with the storyline, and the cut scenes were often short and ineffective. Plus the music was something to be desired. FF9 has some of the best music I've ever heard in any video game, with Chrono Cross and Medal of Honor Frontline being a close second, and to me that counts for alot of the gameplay.

Posted

The first computer game I played was Math Rescue on a 486, at age 4 or 5. I had to learn basic DOS to be able to play it. My first console game was an original Game Boy and Super Mario Bros. My family didn't have a TV-based console until about 1997 when we bought an NES at a garage sale.

Posted

My first game:  Pong.  I was 2 years old when we got our Pong console back in 1978.

I've been addicted to video games ever since.  4.gif

I tend to prefer RPG's more than anything else.  Final Fantasy, Star Ocean, etc.  But others too.  Musashi is good and I just bought Kingdom Hearts 2, which is incredible.

Almost all of my favorite games have graphics that are anime-oriented.  I don't much care for "realistic" graphics.  If I wanted realism, I'd join the army.  3.gif

The only game I play on my computer is SC4.  For all other games, I prefer the interface of a PS2 controller and a big-screen TV.  4.gif

ISF

Posted

Super Mario Bros.2 for the GBA!

Excellent back then! I still play it now sometimes!

Posted

The first games I played were on Nintendo. Besides Mario, the first one I think I bought was Faxanadu, but I'm not sure, it was all so long ago. The first real computer game I ever owned was Sim City Classic. In the time since, the only other game that has come close to sucking up as many hours as the Sim City series for me is Civilization. Nothing else really amounts to anything in comparision.

Posted

it was mario, and a game console called pegasus...

Posted

I think the first ever computer game I ever played was Sim City.

but the thing that started my hobby for computer games was proboly tomb raider and metal gear solid

Posted

Well, let's see. The first computer I ever used was my grandfather's old mac, but that didn't have any games on it (I used it to word process). When we got our own computer, I woud have started playing with the stuff already on it. So that means the first video game I ever played is Windows 3.1 Solitare. 21.gif

If you don't want to include that, it would be an old kiddie image making program called Fine Artist.*

If you don't want to include that, either, it would be an old Windows game called Comet Busters, which you now can download the registered version off the interent for free (just google it), since the guy that made it decided that the game was old enough, and since the registered version came on a floppy disk, that it was better to just freeware-ize it.

*Fine artist will run on windows XP, but will be hard to work with since it originally ran at 320x240 resolution, and in Windows XP it just displays that in the middle of the screen with a huge border rather than adjusting the resolution (likely since it can't go that low), so seeing what you're doing is a pain. Also, the program uses a proprietary image format (.MAG), so don't expect to be able to open or edit any images you made with it with anything else.

Other games which I played rather early on in my computer experience were Duke Nukem II, Simcity 2000 (the DOS version on two floppy disks), and Microsoft Golf.

Of course, we also had a couple programs on that 486 that are laughable to think of today:

-Microsoft Encarta 95: An encyclopedia on 2 CD-ROMS. Encarta stil exists and is still updated year by year, but it's online now (encarta.com).

-Microsoft Automap Streets: A computerized street map of the entire continental US and Hawaii on 2 CD-ROMS. Again it would be the internet that would make such a program useless, with the advent of MapQuest and similar sites. And MS Automap Streets was just a map. It couldn't give you directions. Considering how crappy the directions MapQuest gives you are, though, it's not something I'd miss.

The first console game I ever played would be Super Mario Bros. (the first one) on my Grandfather's Nintendo (which he since threw away after it broke).

Actually, the first console that ever came into my house was a PS2. And the only reason we got it was because it was a hot new item and at the time my uncle worked for Sony, so when offered one at a discount my parents had a hard time refusing. Prior to that, they had been of the opinion that consoles were unnecessary and a waste of money since we had the computer to play video games on. Once the PS2 became a popular toy with me, my sisters, and my father, they changed their minds on that opinion. We now also have a Gamecube, 2 GBAs, and a DS. Actually, the Gamecube, one of the GBAs, and the DS are actually mine (christmas presents).

So the firrst game I played on a console in my own house was ESPN Winter X-Games: Snowboarding (came with the console), and the first game I played on a console that was actually mine was Super Smash Bros. Meleè.

Posted

my first game has to be super mario bros 3 man that game was awesome, in 1993 i got a snes and play mostly the donkey kong country games and on n64 ii really enjoy playing ocarina of time. my first pc game has to be simcity

Posted

my first game was Pong, many ages ago.

After that, i played a basic DOS game called Rogue, which was a lot of fun. I also played a lot of the original Wing Command. I still have the original floppies.

I got a Sega for a while, playing whichever baseball game came with the mid-90s systems, as well as Sonic and Terminator II. Briefly, I moved to the very unpopular Sega CD with Sewer Rat and some terrible flight simulation game. (after abandoning that, i went back to Rogue and Wing Command).

My first Windows-based computer game was the original Quake. I also picked up SimCity 3000 and Thief II: The Metal age - and shortly after that Thief.

I also picked up whatever was the most popular and latest baseball games of the times, at first, it was Triple Play, but that got real bad. I then embraced the High Heat series - just in time to watch the company go under.

It was also around this time i picked up Half-Life and The Sims. I still play Half-Life. 

More recently, i have picked up Sim City 4 (of course), The Sims 2 (never play it), MVP Baseball 2005 (modified by a community), Half-Life 2, and Thief: Deadly Shadows.

Posted

lets see the first game i played was snack atack on  a mac  but the game that really had me hooked was simcity then Civ  and silent service 2 Vette got those all round 1990  i thinki i had better list them all  1990

wher in time was carmen sadiego

man hunter

the original teenage mutan nija turtle

bit of a hiatus then 1995

Wing commnder

Dark forces

Doom

Doom 2

Colonisation

Tie fighter

Quake

Duke Nukem

Quake 2

Sc 2k

Civ2

Carmagedon

GTA the orginal

Syndicate wars

Jedi knight

Total Anihilation

Diablo

Simcity 3k

Redneck rampage

Quake 3

Railraod tycoon 2

Command and conquer

Red Alert

Rollercaoster Tycoon

Doom 3

Diablo 2

Railraod tycoon 3

Civ 3

All the sims

Simcity 4

Civ 4

tribes:  vengeance

space empire

vega strike

for each one i listed there are pobably 2 more i have played but can't remeber and this list is over about 15 years of gaming most in this list are either classic innovative or acheived  sales or quality benchmarks that will mean that these games will probably be remebered long after thier creators have gone. I still play alot in this list but half of them  i cant  i need to create an old dos box .

Posted

It would have to be a tiny disk-sized program, the game itself was the Winter Olympics.

In the olden days the graphics were exceptional, and I always laughed when my bobsleigh flew off the side... ooopz. lol.

But my all time favourite first-time game was Dungeon Keeper - wow, what a game...

Posted

My first video game was Breakout on the original Atari. My brothers and I competed on a stick figure basketball game on the Atari. I remember going with them to an arcade in our hometown to play games like Space Invaders and Galaga; I was still rather fond of the pinball machines though.

My first computer game came a decade later when a college professor introduced our Urban Geography class to the original Sim City. I bought my first computer a couple of years later specifically to do homework and play Sim City II!

Posted

I don't remember the name, but it was on my old old mac... black and white screen. I don't remember much, since I was like 5 when I played it but I remember you had to go about collecting keys and stuff. Dunno what the ultimate goal was, the hard drive crashed before we could finish it. But I remember being pretty addicted to it. 3.gif

Posted

Super Mario Bros 3 on my uncle's NES. Then he gave the NES to me and i played all sorts of games. I was more of a lego kid, though

I found simcity 1(aka classic) in the clearance bin at walmart for like 5 bucks and not too long after i got 2000. Then after about 2 years our family got the internet and the first thing i did was look up simcity, and i read about the new simcity 3000 so of course i had to get that, same goes for 4 and then rush hour.

To be honest, ive only been a console gamer.I have quite a few rpg game boy games, and i was hugely into the pokemon 1999-2000 when it was a big fad(i was in 6th grade at the time).My family has never had a really decent computer for gaming, and my mom never liked games like quake or doom, so really im just starting to get into FPS games, and thats because one of my classes at school we get to play counterstrike and World of Warcraft on occasion on the class server(we have a very unique teacher)

Posted

Bowling for the Intellivision was my first game.

Posted

My first game, I think, was a game called Alleycat. It was for the old 286 IBM compatible. We had one of the early Dell Dimension desktops!

Posted

I think 'Sim Farm' and 'Lemmings' would be somewhere on the list...

Posted

I can't remember the name, but it was a Noddy game. I used to love it! Ah, 3.1. Those were the days...

Posted

Gosh, I still miss the days of of arcades at the base recreation center, wasting quarters on PacMan, Defender, Qbert, and the rest.  Nothing says nostalgia like playing Space Invaders and Tank on the old Atari 2600 (I still have that full system in a closet somewhere).

The earliest game I can put a name to was the simple shooter 13 Ghosts (1983), played on the green-and-black screens of my grandmother's Radio Shack TRS-80 Model 4 or the "portable" Kaypro 4.  1983 technology: a steel portable computer that weighed 33 pounds!

An early game I played was Robot Odyssey (1984), from the Learning Company. Amazingly, this was a game of hardwiring circuitry, through which you program several robots to solve puzzles in an adventure to escape the robot city of Robotropolis. My gosh, not even 10 years old and I'm having to hardwire logic gates to get two independant robots to communicate and navigate each other through an invisible minefield! My circuits were tangled spagetti nightmares! I never did finish this game, as I was stuck trying to figure out how to make a cascading radio circuit replicate a specific song pattern on a door lock. Yes, it was adolescent Geek training, but it was addictive.

Gosh, my first role-playing games...anyone here still remember the entire King's Quest series first started in 1984 by an infant Sierra?  Poor old King Graham has he wanders into wicked Hagatha, Count Dracula, Little Red Riding Hood, and hordes of other fictional and mythological personalities.  I usually got him killed somehow.  In the same vein was silly Space Quest, of which I never could survive against robot-Austrian assassin Arnoid the Annihilator.  Yes, The Terminator was the coolest robot sci-fi movie then!

Remember the all-powerful DOS-based Tandy 1000SX? That system existed for the sole purpose of playing Starflight (1986) and later Starflight II (1989), two very old games for which I will always be thankful to the young EA Games. I spent months charting star systems, logging hundreds of planets, and gathering artifacts. How I freaked when I finally discovered the ruins of Old Earth after a year of playing. How I panicked when I stumbled across a terrifying Uhlek fleet with my shields down! Yes, this game took years to fully play out, it had such depth and was very open ended...I kinda feel bad that I spent so much time off exploring and documenting the outer star clusters, that I let Starport and humanity get wiped out. I have yet to find another similar game that allowed you to piece together a story of such depth and scale. Maybe if I had given my ships names other than Hindenburg, Bismarck, Titanic, Vaterland, etc., they might have met better ends (yeah, trying to land on hull-crushing gas giant planet was stupid).

Then there was Civilization 1 (1991). Omigosh, the hours burned on this game. Sid Meier is God. Ghandi and Shaka Zulu are picking on me again and will pay! Curse you Elizabeth, London will fall! And Moscow, too! Heute Europa, Morgen die Welt! How in the world did an ancient phalanx sink my modern battleship? Deutschland uber alles--crap, when did Montezuma's words become backed by nuclear weapons!  Why work on chemistry homework when I have an Empire to conquer!

My brother had SimCity on his Nintendo (with little Marios and King Koopas running around), but I was never much inclined towards consoles.  However, in 1993 Maxis releases SimCity 2000 for the PC, followed soon after by the truly magnificent SimCity Urban Renewal Kit (SCURK), and I throw all homework out the window once and for all.

My first online multiplayer game was Stellar Crisis, which since about 1995 has been hosted freely on the internet thanks to its awesome author, Sylvan Clebsch.  No downloads, no clients, no payments, just find any host webpage and create an empire to play on their server.  Free strategic interstellar conquest with a fun variety of warships in the manner of Risk or chess.  I still remember someone leaving the logon window for accepting players into a game open for a week or so, resulting in a game of several hundred players (most games tend towards 2-12 players).  What a diplomacy and ally coordinating nightmare that was.

Posted

the first game I can remeber owning...
X-wing
some other older games were of coarse sim City
Master of orian
Tie fighter
Command & conqer
Prince of persia (the original side scroll)
Missle command
so many to remeber them all...been around a while

Posted

I'm 17 years old so, I stared out on just the NES with Zelda and Mario, then on the computer I got into the Original Sim City, then I found Sim CIty 2, then 3...

But that's off to the beggining, It started with some old Macintosh games, Originaly I had an OLD OLD Apple computer then we got hte newer Macintosh model... Sim City ended up being some how one of the first games on the comp i ever played, and I've loved it ever since.