• Announcements

• Dirktator

New: Clubs at Simtropolis   08/13/2017

Introducing "Clubs" - a new way to create your own sub-community on Simtropolis. Check out the details here:  

Citybound

Discuss the new indie city-building game directly with the developer and be updated on its progress.

101 topics in this forum

• 131 Replies
    • 10 Replies
  1. Realism In Citybound

• 121 Replies
    • 53 Replies
    • 45 Replies
    • 44 Replies
    • 39 Replies
  2. Idea Suggestion: More Wealth Levels

• 37 Replies
    • 37 Replies
    • 36 Replies
    • 36 Replies
    • 35 Replies
    • 31 Replies
    • 30 Replies
    • 28 Replies
    • 28 Replies
    • 26 Replies
    • 25 Replies
    • 24 Replies
    • 23 Replies
    • 23 Replies
    • 22 Replies
    • 21 Replies
    • 21 Replies
    • 20 Replies
    • 19 Replies
    • 18 Replies
    • 18 Replies
    • 18 Replies
    • 16 Replies
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• New Topics

• Featured Topics

• Recent Posts

• I've got to say, this is one of the most gorgeous airports I've ever seen in Cities: Skylines! Just wow.
    • Earlier this month in San Antonio it was revealed that a new residential building project across from City Hall on Plaza des Armas was in development: "$83 million project planned across street from City Hall" - San Antonio Express-News Very preliminary renderings from the developer of the "Kallison Square" tower followed, however, I must admit, I was actually not looking at the proposed building.   Instead, I'm looking at that long brick building with the ornate finials fronting the street corner.  What is that building? It's the Kallison Block, part of a growing string of buildings first built in 1899 by Ukrainian immigrant Nathan Kallison for his small saddle shop.  Having fled the anti-Jewish pogroms of Imperial Russia in their teens for the promise of America, the Kallisons first established themselves in bustling Chicago before eventually choosing to settle in warmer San Antonio, then still a quaint, sleepy, rural town with a vast countryside not too unlike their familiar Ukraine.  By 1908, their tiny saddle and harness store had grown to become the largest general western goods supplier in the U.S. Southwest, popular not only with local ranchers, but also with tourists seeking to adorn themselves in authentic Texas cowboy fashions.  Nathan Kallison was ultimately able to purchase land in the surrounding Hill Country and achieved the Texas dream of a sprawling cattle ranch, the Kallison Ranch--a land holding that someone of his station could never have hoped to gain in old Russia. The store's icon is statue of a cowboy holding his saddle standing tall atop the building. (Photo by Nan Palmero on Flickr)   When this store was first built, Plaza des Armas was a prominent local marketplace famed for its open air chili stands.  Later Victorian city planners decided that the rustic messiness of the market plaza and its chili queens were not in keeping with the tidy images of the City Beautiful, and the chaotic plaza was targeted as the ideal site for a new, prime and proper City Hall building whose mighty bulk and manicured landscaping which would effectively push the unsightliness out. Chili Stands before: New City Hall after: As Kallison's grew and expanded, it had to keep to the image of the new, upstanding urbanism on its corner facing City Hall on today's Military Plaza. Somehow the corner being suggested for the proposed tower just doesn't measure up. Ah well, I suppose any development here is better than no development, especially as the courthouse annex across the street has already killed off the streetscape with the fortress walls of institutional architecture.  In truth, the proposed tower is to really to my taste, and I have no doubt that the many seemingly random platform balconies each desperately fighting to be unique will become much less scattered as the design is more fleshed out and the developers start looking for ways to reduce costs and regularize unit pricing.   I hadn't realized until I saw the proposal rendering that I had actually once took a snapshot on my phone of Kallison's and its striking statue while reporting for jury duty at the Justice Center, all while not knowing just what it was I was looking at: Hardly a great photograph, but what is interesting is that within a few years this streetscape will radically change as a residential block will rise from behind these old brick buildings.  Additionally, down the street vista towards Military Plaza on the right hand side, a new crystalline glass tower for Frost Bank is currently under construction.  Pretty soon, the Kallison cowboy will his blue sky backdrop.  Incidently, Kallison's Ranch has already been transformed into a new residential suburb, complete with a newly finished Nathan Kallison Elementary School ready to open next week for this coming school season.  
    • Nope.

Prophet.