• Moose

6 Screenshots

About This File

Millennium Hotel Knightsbridge, by Mattb325.
---------------------------------------

If you've recently downloaded Harrods http://community.simtropolis.com/files/file/31736-harrods/ you may be wanting some additional UK themed Bats to fill the surrounding area.

Fear not; over on nearby Sloane Street, a brutalist monstrosity caught my eye, and so I have brought this into game.

When I look at a building from Google Street View, if at a street level it piques my interest, then I'll usually look at it from either Google Earth or Bing to get a better feel for the model.

It is at this point that I will determine whether I will do a recreation, or adopt a looser approach. Either way, there will always be elements of each building I look at that in my opinion will stay or go when I recreate the building for SC4.

Normally not too many elements of a building get turfed out: those that do are either aligned at an odd angle (rather than the SC4 grid), or are too awkward to be worth my effort. It is rare, however, that a building catches my eye on street level, for me to look at it from above and shake my head with a 'what were they thinking' moment.

Millennium Hotel in Knightsbridge is one such building.

It caught my eye because there are so few of these sorts of buildings in SC4; now I'll admit I am not a huge fan of brutalist early 1970's architecture: add the inclement British weather & city smog and you have hulking concrete structures that have gone from a light green-grey to the most dreary shade of dirty grey imaginable. But regardless of your opinion on Brutalism, you have to admit that it at least exudes authority and gravitas.

So it came as some surprise when I saw all of the truly, truly "twee" additions visible from the air....now, with apologies to Mcmansionhell.com and other spoof websites, please see my take on what got the 'cut' from this Bat and why...

**********************************************************************************************************************************************************************

Omissions_pt1_zps2gfcxncc.jpg

Omissions_pt2_zpspzbh8ea1.jpg

Hopefully my UK friends can get a bit of a laugh out of this: you have been through a fair bit in recent months.  :cry:

Now that that's out of the way, the Millenium Hotel is offered as a growable CS§§ building on a 4x4 lot. It is a larger 14 story mid-rise building, which I have made my own adjustments to. It grows on all tilesets and provides 960 CS§§ jobs.

STATS CS§§:

Lot size :                  4 x 4
Growth Stage:         7 (Medium and High Density Zoning)
Bulldoze Cost:         § 780
Capacity Satisfied:  CS§ 3,831, CS§§ 960
Pollution:                  35 (Air)/ 23 (Water)/ 47 (Garbage )
Pollution Radius:     6/7/0
Power Consumed:   77 Mwh
Water Consumed:   923 Gal/Month
Building Style:          Chicago/NY/Houston/Euro (N/A for Ploppable)
Occupant Group:     Commercial Services Building

NOTE ABOUT DARK NITE vs MAXIS NITE:

This download contains TWO model files; one for dark nite users (and other night-time darkening mods, such as Gizmos night-mod) and one for the standard Maxis nite.
You must keep only one file - depending on which version you use. If you are unsure whether you have a night-darkening mod installed, then choose the Maxis night version. Regardless of which file you choose to keep, make sure you DO NOT delete the Lot File!

If you use the dark nite version, you will need a dark nite mod.

DEPENDENCIES:

This lot does not require external dependencies.

To install, simply unzip the contents of this file into your plugins folder.

User Feedback

Create an account or sign in to leave a review

You need to be a member in order to leave a review

Create an Account  

Register a New Account

Sign In  

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

sejr99999

1 of 1 member found this review helpful 1 / 1 member

thank you  it's a "beautiful" building with all the froofroo removed   always an automatic download when your name is on the BAT

mattb325 likes this

Share this review

Link to review
tariely

From Harrods to there the leap is...brutal ! Thanks for sparing us the awful details -- and for the commentary-with-pictures !

mattb325 likes this

Share this review

Link to review
kingofsimcity

The raw building certainly looks better without all those tacky modern "enhancements". Brutally beautiful!

matias93 and mattb325 like this

Share this review

Link to review
matias93

You have literally saved that building from the most terrible offences to good taste. Besides, I love brutalism! 

mattb325 likes this

Share this review

Link to review

• Announcements

• Dirktator

06/12/2017

If you can, please help us reach our June donation goal!  Please note that the STEX Collector's Set gift can now be sent to you by digital download, as well as by mail! Simtropolis runs mostly on donations, as you know, every dollar helps us keep things up and running and bring in improvements from time to time. Donate and Get a Gift or Donate Any Amount Thanks so much! - Dirktator & The Admins
    • Dirktator

06/21/2017

We've received a recommendation to consider some hardware upgrades to our aging server. As our website community software improves with more and more features, and as we bolt on additional features such as chat, the additional load to handle all these new toys is taking the server a bit to task.  You may have noticed that we've been forced to temporarily disable the chat as we work out allocating resources for more optimal performance. We've also applied a number of 'soft' changes such as caching options and experimented with server configurations (nginx as proxy, for example), so the hardware aspect is something we'd like to be able to upgrade. The last time we upgraded hardware was a in 2012. Your donation will go toward helping us to 1.) migrate to a newer server or 2.) at least get some ram/cpu/storage updates and any other infrastructure hardware or services. Your contribution means a lot!  Donate and Get a Gift or Donate Any Amount Thanks so much! - Dirktator & The Admins
  • STEX Featured

• Similar Content

• By korver
      Please view the full size resolution link here before casting your vote! The gallery doesn't tend to do mosaics/panoramas a lot of justice.
      The harbour city in all its glory. You may have seen my Sydney recreation before in my CJ True Earth here, but you've never seen it before like this. I felt like a panorama was the best way to truly capture this amazing city for this final challenge. This panorama showcases the entire center of the city from Hyde Park on the far left to North Sydney on the right, just past the iconic Harbour Bridge. To top things off, I decided to showcase the city in a sunset setting - while Sydney is amazing at all times of the day, I felt like there was just something truly magical about seeing Sydney in the sunset.
      Additional notes:
      This scene features countless buildings imported into the game - real, ingame assets, just like any other BAT you would download and use in the game yourself. The bridge and highway system can are completely modular, a picture illustrating this can be seen here. This scene as a whole also required extensive custom content creation. A majority of the buildings had to be custom lotted in addition to making 40-50 custom made Sydney road textures, complete with authentic bus and bike lanes.

• By nos.17
      Red Roof Inn was incorporated by founder James R. Trueman in 1972. The Inn first opened in Columbus, Ohio with a single room rate of $8.50 USD in 1973. Today, Red Roof Inn has more than 325 locations, serves millions of guests each year and employs over 6,000 people. The majority of Red Roof Inns locations are located in the Midwest, East and the South, and boast on high customer awareness and outstanding brand image in the economy market.   This BAT was originally created by Bobbo662 (aka B62). I am revisiting one of the few gems he has ever uploaded.   For comments/feedback/critique/praise visit my lot thread or drop me a pm. I'd be happy to help. Also, visit the website for full sized images.       ------- Stats: ------- 6x6 CS$ Plop, 6x6 CS$ Grow
           Growth Stage : 2
           Jobs : 616 CS$
           Plop Cost : $65000
           Bulldoze Cost : $6500
           Power Consumed : 13
           Water Consumed : 125
           Air/Water Pollution : Negligable
           Garbage Pollution : 18 over 2 tiles
           Flamability : 45       ------------------ Dependencies: ------------------ BSC Props - B62 Red Roof Inn (included) BSC Mega Texture Cycledogg v01 LBT Mega Prop Pack v.01 SHK Parking Pack SuperSHK MEGA Parking Textures BSC MEGA Props - CP Vol01
      BSC MEGA Props - CP Vol02       And above all... have fun!   nos.17
    • By RRetail
      This batch of relots focuses in on hotel models from Simgoober and patfirefghtr, as well as a small non-chain motel by onlyplace4.  Please note that you will need the description (DESC) files for the LBT files found in patfirefghtr's lots. Once you have installed the LBT lots linked below, simply open your plugins/LBT/HotelsPack and delete the lot files found in each hotel folder. You need to keep everything in the model folder. 

A special thanks to @kingofsimcity for the assistance with making the attached parking garage file a prop.
      3x6 lots:
      4x6 lots:
      5x5 lots:
      4x7 lots:
      5x2 lots:
      6x5 lots:
      Other Dependencies:
      BSC MEGA Props SG Vol 1 BSC MegaProps CP Vol. 1 BSC MegaProps JES Vol. 2 LBT Mega Prop Pack Vol. 1 SuperSHK MEGA Parking Textures 1.0.1 SuperSHK + FA3 Parking Textures SHK Parking Pack You will also need:
    • By nos.17
      Domino's Pizza is an American restaurant chain and international franchise pizza delivery corporation. Founded in 1960, Domino's is the second-largest pizza chain in the United States (after Pizza Hut) and the largest worldwide, with more than 10,000 corporate and franchised stores in 70 countries.   This beautiful BAT was originally created by Bobbo662 (aka B62). Unfortunately, due to real life circumstances, he was unable to finish the lot and so this was just sitting around on his hard drive. After talking with him, he graciously handed his work over to me to finish and subsequently upload for yall.   For comments/feedback/critique/praise visit my lot thread or drop me a pm. I'd be happy to help. Also, visit the website for full sized images.       ------- Stats: ------- 2x2 Grow CS$
           20 CS$ Jobs
           Growth stage : 2
           Plop Cost : $2700
           Bulldoze Cost : $350
           Power Consumed : 3
           Water Consumed : 2
           Garbage Pollution : 3 over 2 tiles
           Flamability : 50         ------------------- Dependencies: ------------------- BSC Mega Texture Cycledogg v01 SHK Parking Pack BSC Mega Props - JES Vol01
      SuperSHK MEGA Parking Textures   BSC - VIP girafe Walnuts     Above all... have fun!   nos.17
    • By nos.17
      Just because I don't like them, doesn't mean yall won't.
      All of the lots are "as-is," meaning no editing has been done since Bobbo662 originally released them around 2005ish. 

--------
      Stats:
      --------
      CS$ & CS$$ Landmark and Growable Stages 1-3
      All stats generated with PIMX.

------------------
      Installation:
      ------------------
      To avoid duplicates and possible errors, IT IS HIGHLY RECOMMENDED TO RUN THE PROVIDED CLEANITOL FILE. After that completes, simply place anywhere in your plugins folder.

--------------
      Contents:
      --------------
      Most come as Landmark plopable lots (with CS$ or CS$$ jobs), but there are a few growables sprinkled in too ( also CS$ or CS$$)
      60's Style Esso Station BP Connect Chevron Fast Mart Service Station Chevron Service Station Citgo Service Station DELL DollarTree Plaza Esso Retro Service Station Fry's Electronics Hardee's Petro-Canada Service Station Retro Safeway Grocery Store Texaco Service Station Texaco Small Service Station TJ Maxx Plaza
      Since the file size is 12.8 mb, and I did not want to split it up. The size is now 8.7mb, but it still can be downloaded from my google drive here.

---------------------
      Dependencies:
      ---------------------
      BSC MEGA Props - SG Vol 01
      BSC Textures Vol 01
      nos.17 Essentials (V10 or newer Required)
      Probably one or two others too, which are obscure and not worth finding.

From the archives:

• Newest STEX Uploads

• Recent STEX Reviews

• Recent STEX Comments