• Moose

6 Screenshots

About This File

Harrods, by Mattb325.
---------------------------------------

Inspired by the iconic department store on Brompton Rd, Knightsbridge, Harrods is presented as a CS§§§ growable and ploppable lot for your cities.

Please be aware that the present day Harrods has been extended and remodelled a number of times since the main building on Brompton Rd was completed in 1905, so this is NOT a strict recreation, but what I present is faithful to the original façade as designed by Charles Stephens, albeit with modifications to make it more game-ready.

I have only modelled the front portion of the building.

It must be noted that the present building has completely over-run the old streets of 'Queens Gardens' and 'New Place' and wrapped its way around what used to be known as Queen Street and Lower North St (since renamed Hans Rd and Basil St respectively), consuming the old Hans Mansion block and other buildings in the process.
Because these streets run at odd angles and curves, even with the FAR roads and other NAM advances, I felt that modelling all of this would make the building almost completely unusable for the average player.
Additionally the original building, aligned to Brompton Rd, was slightly wedged shaped - the old line is still somewhat visible under all of the present day roof additions from Google earth along the Hans Rd façade. Naturally I have squared this off to get this into game, which means that the rear of the building is completely fictitious.

The present roof junk and extension of the Mansard roof along all facades is modelled - with slight variations by me - on the most up-to-date renovations: you can compare the differences by using the Google earth program (up-to-date) vs. Bing ?birds-eye/Google maps (out-of-date) to see the remarkable difference to the roof-top in recent years.

Lastly, in order to fit the building on a maximum of 8 tiles (which will give it at least some chance of growing), I have removed one set of windows near the turret. Given the lag on my computer, I have also avoided modelling the hundreds of bulbs on the Hans Cres and Hans Roads sides.

With all of that said, if you are strictly puritanical about recreations being 100% accurate, then please do not download this.

The lot comes in two flavours: a growable Commercial Services and a ploppable, functional C§§§ lot, which is found in the Landmarks Menu. Both have the same stats.

STATS CS§§§ & Ploppable CS§§§:

Lot size :                    8 x 4
Growth Stage:          8 (Medium and High Density Zoning)/Ploppable
Bulldoze Cost:          §631
Capacity Satisfied:  CS§ 11,140, CS§§ 2,787, CS§§§ 1,117
Pollution:                   50 (Air)/ 33 (Water)/ 67 (Garbage )
Pollution Radius:      6/7/0
Power Consumed:    209 Mwh
Water Consumed:    1,871 Gal/Month
Building Style:           Chicago/NY/Houston/Euro (N/A for Ploppable)
Occupant Group:      Commercial Services Building

NOTE ABOUT DARK NITE vs MAXIS NITE:

This download contains TWO model files; one for dark nite users (and other night-time darkening mods, such as Gizmos night-mod) and one for the standard Maxis nite.
You must keep only one file - depending on which version you use. If you are unsure whether you have a night-darkening mod installed, then choose the Maxis night version. Regardless of which file you choose to keep, make sure you DO NOT delete the Lot File!

If you use the dark nite version, you will need a dark nite mod.

DEPENDENCIES:

This lot does not require external dependencies.

To install, simply unzip the contents of this file into your plugins folder.

User Feedback

Create an account or sign in to leave a review

You need to be a member in order to leave a review

Create an Account  

Register a New Account

Sign In  

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

SimCoug

3 of 3 members found this review helpful 3 / 3 members

Epic!  And that's just describing the night lights.  I actually like it when BATers take a bit of creative license and tinker with buildings a bit... this is a game after all and being able to adjust models to better fit in with SC4 shows a true mastery over the BATing skill.  Well done!  *:thumb:

Share this review

Link to review
rsc204

2 of 2 members found this review helpful 2 / 2 members

Simply wonderful.

The white bulbs for the nite lights are fantastic and will really help to make this stand out in a night scene. How on earth did you make this so quickly, I'm super jealous of your skills.

pclark06, mattb325 and matias93 like this

Share this review

Link to review
tariely

2 of 2 members found this review helpful 2 / 2 members

Grand (and the nite lites...!) I was just thinking of you yesterday, looking at some fine exemple of Jacobean and neo-Jacobean architecture, and wondering if there were more of those in your London Surprise Box :-)

mattb325 likes this

Share this review

Link to review
JP Schriefer

This is one of the most beautiful buildings I have ever seen to SC4. Thank you very much!

Share this review

Link to review
Prophet42

You are a true master!!  What a wonderful building.  Thanks for sharing!  I always look forward to your downloads.  Keep up the good work!

mattb325 likes this

Share this review

Link to review
will62russ

I am going to have a frigging heart attack!!!!!!!   And I already have heart failure.   This piece of work has to be in the top 10, or even top 5, of all-time from the get-go.  I don't know how you do it Mattb325, but keep doing it.  I will not give specifics about why I like it because it would not do the work of art justice.  Hope this inspires others to acheive such greatness.  Thank You.

mattb325 likes this

Share this review

Link to review
Jack_wilds

over all well done... 5/5, exceptional turn around yet maintaining quality... very good... attention to facade detail; a super work...

mattb325 likes this

Share this review

Link to review
SimNation

Another masterpiece, love your work as always glad you still make/release projects for this modern city building staple.  The detail on the brick textures I like the most, makes it look better than irl buildings.

mattb325 likes this

Share this review

Link to review

That was fast. This building is a masterpiece.

So much detail in so little time, you have a true gift.

mattb325 likes this

Share this review

Link to review
markussaage

My eyes went like *:ohyes:... OMG, what a creation! Thanks for sharing...

mattb325 likes this

Share this review

Link to review
sejr99999

thank you  this was definitely missing from British content and what a beauty you have created    I have enjoyed just looking at the pics and reading the comments and know it will be a pleasure to see it in game soon

will62russ and mattb325 like this

Share this review

Link to review
thingfishs

That's a pretty amazing creation there Matt *:thumb:; and as has been touched upon, the length of gestation was a tad alarming!

mattb325 likes this

Share this review

Link to review
kingofsimcity

Mastercrafted model! I could stare at those night lights for hours.

mattb325 likes this

Share this review

Link to review
simlacroix

This is just SUPERB! Well done Matt, I even remembered that upon discovering this forum I tried unsuccessfully for Harrods here and I could not believe noone has tried and here you are, thanks a lot! This will look perfect in my Britcities. :)

mattb325 likes this

Share this review

Link to review
Dino Dagner

This is a great masterpiece. Well done!

mattb325 likes this

Share this review

Link to review
  • Announcements

• Dirktator

06/30/2017

This month we're hoping for a little bit of a boost this month or next, in addition to covering the regular bills, we could benefit from some hardware upgrades. STEX Collector's Set gifts can now be sent to you via digital download as well as regular mail if you wish! Every donation dollar goes toward keeping Simtropolis online and humming along. Your contribution counts! Hardware Upgrades As our website community software improves with more and more features, and as we bolt on additional features such as chat, the increased load to handle all these new toys is taking the server a bit to task. You may have noticed that we'd been forced to temporarily disable the chat as we worked out allocating resources for more optimal performance. Following this, we've applied a number of 'soft' changes such as caching options and experimented with server configurations (nginx as proxy, for example), so the hardware aspect is also an area we'd like to focus on. The last time we upgraded hardware was back in 2012, prior to the release of SC13. Your contribution means a lot! Your donation will go toward helping us to 1.) migrate to a newer server or 2.) at least get some ram/cpu/storage updates and any other infrastructure hardware or services. Donate and Get a Gift or Donate Any Amount Thanks so much! - Dirktator & The Admins
  • STEX Featured

• Similar Content

• By mattb325
      Perth Council Building, by Mattb325.
      Inspired by the Council Building in Perth's Stirling Gardens, here is another iconic early 1960's building.
      This is an example of the modernist style with Bauhaus leanings, and has distinctive external 'T' shaped sun-shades in alternating patterns over the curtain glass wall to block out the hot Western Australian sun. Conversely, the roof area has a perspex covered walkway which I imagine would be about as comfortable as an ant under a magnifying glass in the broiling summer heat!
      It is with the 'T' shaped awnings that I taken most of the liberties with this building; reducing the width of the top part of the 'T' to ensure that each sun-shade is clearly visible in game rather than blurring into one. 
      The real-life building was actually slated for demolition in the 1990's, but was saved and renovated as well as adding one extra floor at the top of the building. 
      Recently, the building was also fitted thousands of coloured leds: hence, the unusual, and prettily-coloured night-lights.
      This BAT functions as a government building and town hall in game. 
      In addition to providing your sims with 185 highly desirable civic jobs, it will help alleviate the commercial demand caps that can hinder city development. Given the way that the game is designed, in addition to providing health, education, safety, etc, using rewards is an absolutely necessary part of being able to develop large cities and regions.
      It sits on a 5x3 lot and will easily blend in with other park lots (such as the SFBT mid-wealth set) that use the Maxis R$$ plain grass. Similarly, given the fact that the building is 13 floors high, it will also work well in a dense city environment.
      * It is offered as a reward without needing to meet pre-existing conditions.
      * It is located in the REWARD Menu 
      * It can be placed more than once in a city. 
      * It DOES NOT over-write the ingame town hall (or any re-lotted versions there-of), so can be used in conjunction with the standard Maxis town hall reward.
      * It DOES NOT over-write any of my other town hall lots (so can be used in conjunction with these as well).
      STATS:
      Lot size :               5 x 3
      Plop Cost:            §47,000
      Monthly Cost:      §1,170
      Budget Item:        Government Buildings
      Occupant Groups: Reward, Courthouse
      Demand Created:  Jobs§: 23, Jobs§§: 151, Jobs§§§: 11.
      Landmark Effect: +105 over 33 tiles
      Pollution:               Air 3 over 2 tiles, Water 2 over 3 tiles, Garbage 31 over 0 tiles
      Power consumed:  55 MwH
      Water consumed:  111 Gallons/Month
      Bulldoze Cost:       §11,720
      NOTE ABOUT DARK NITE vs MAXIS NITE:

This download contains TWO file types in two seperate folders; one for dark nite users (and other night-time darkening mods, such as Gizmos or Mashty's night-mods) and one for the standard Maxis nite. 
      You must choose only one file - depending on which version you use. If you are unsure whether you have a night-darkening mod installed, then choose the Maxis night version. 
      If you use the dark nite version, you will need a dark nite mod. (http://community.simtropolis.com/files/file/23089-simfox-day-and-nite-modd/) 
      DEPENDENCIES:
      To ensure proper functionality, make sure the following files are in your plugins:

*BSC Mega Props - CP Vol02.dat (http://sc4devotion.com/csxlex/lex_filedesc.php?lotGET=2790)
      *BSC MEGA Props - SG Vol01.dat (http://sc4devotion.com/csxlex/lex_filedesc.php?lotGET=746)

NOTE ABOUT PARKING TEXTURES:
      Sadly, negative comments/reviews from a few members of the community continue to force me to add this utterly ridiculous disclaimer...this building has underground parking, and I have not used parking textures. If you wish to add parking textures, please do so using the lot editor and keep your negativity to yourself.
      To install, simply unzip the contents of this file into your plugins folder.
      Thanks.
    • By Seraf
      Nos. 31-33 Madison Avenue - Two townhouses in Italianate style that stood on Madison Avenue between 25th and 26th street till 1954 when they were demolished to make way for Appellate Courthouse annex. This BAT is a recreation of the condition from around 1912 when No.31 was modernized and converted for commercial use.
      This BAT has a special version for winter, it will appear when game date will reach 15th of Dec.
      Lot size: 1x2
      Versions: 1
      - Landmark

Dependencies:
      SimFox Day n Nite Modd (For DarkNite Version only)
      NYBT Essentials

Thanks to all people who helped with this BAT.
      Enjoy!
    • By Seraf
      Appellate Division Courthouse of New York State - Building in the style of Renaissance Revival, designed by James Brown Lord and built between 1896-99 on the corner of Madison Avenue and 25th Street. Cost of the building was over $630,000 and about 25 percent of it was spent on sculptural decoration. Sixteen sculptors worked on twenty-one sculptures and sculptural groups.
      The BAT has a special version for winter, it will appear when game date will reach 15th of Dec.
      Lot size: 3x2
      Versions: 2
      - Plop CO$$$
      - Landmark

Dependencies:
      SimFox Day n Nite Modd (For DarkNite Version only)
      NYBT Essentials

Thanks to all people who helped with this BAT.
      Enjoy!
  • Newest STEX Uploads

• Recent STEX Reviews

• Recent STEX Comments

• You really only need the building files. (.Desc and .Model) It's against STEX's rules to re-upload them.
    • Oh...okay. I c know. I didn't realize I didn't need the original.
    • Sounds to me like you may be missing the original building files.
    • Whops! @nos.17 I have the same problem. I have all the dependencies, but as you can see there is no actual building. I tried several ways: put the original prop desc and model (-a, -b) files in the same time; only the model files; the model files and the zzLM15x12_AllianzArena file in the same time. No changes. Always get the same result, what you can see on the picture. I checked with SC4Tool and I think the uploaded version doesn't contains the necessary building/prop descriptors, because in the Tool everything is green, but I didn't see the original buildings listed among the dependencies, so actually they are not in the lot or so... EDIT (before sending): So there is some other problem: you add wrongly the MM 40ft trailer as a dependency, because you used KoSC IRM essential and the prop families from that set (if I remove this and put only the dependency what you linked, I get error in Sc4Tool). I investigated the issue with an empty plugin folder which only contained this lot and the dependencies what you listed. There is one more textures Dependency: BSC Textures 1. Oh and of course you used your own essential I guess, but you forgot to list above... But the bigger problem is that as you can see the 3rd and 4th pictures, the CSX megapack 1 is using the same prop ID than the Allianz building prop desc file. The other problem, that you probably forgot to attach your prop desc files for this lot, because the original one is conflicting with CSX megapack... When I emptied the plugin folder I got the building properly with its own prop desc files (so I didn't have the CSX pack and the prop desc in my plugin folder in the same time, but You said, we only need the model files), but obviously you used a new prop desc file for this, just haven't attached... Can you check and update this, because it's amazing and I would like to use! Thanks in advance! - Tyberius  
    • @kellydale2003 As I said in the review it's avesome stuff, I would have only one request. Could you next time make a notice on the description, that the growable version is only compatible with CAM by default...  I was wondering why I haven't seen growing your stuffs in my cities (f.e. Linda Swampy), and took an other look to the lot files I see, that some of them is CAMified, and I don't play with CAM... Linda Swampy is a stage 10 I-Ht... So that would be worth a mention I guess for those who doesn't use the CAM as well... Thanks in advance!  - Tyberius