• Moose

5 Screenshots

About This File

Modern Sound Barriers, by Mattb325.
---------------------------------------

A set of nine sound barrier lots to grace your ground-level highways, heavy rail (etc): really, these can be placed anywhere you think noise from adjacent transport lots might be an issue for your long-suffering sims.

While there are other noise barrier lots out there, I found that some were simply too big, some were too grungy, some didn't have diagonal options and there was a distinct lack of modern-looking barriers, so I made some to suit my own taste.

These sound barriers are a modern concrete, steel and glass option.

The lots have Orthogonal, Diagonal, Orthogonal to Diagonal and Left and Right Overhanging options.

The Ortho->Diag options can be a bit fiddly to place, but you'll soon get the hang of it and to that end each lot has a custom icon to try and make the job a little easier (the standard ortho and diagonals simply have a grey line icon, while the more complex ones have a little picture as well). As a general rule, you should aim to place these lots with the curved glass top facing towards the noise (this has a cupping effect to dampen the noise beyond the wall).

They are found in the parks menu - about half way down. Now, depending on your plugins folder they may not be sequential (i.e. other park lots might appear in between) but they will be very closely positioned to each other in the menu.

As I made these for myself and designed them to be high-end, nice looking sound walls, they do have a park effect (and associated monthly cost), so if you are trying to keep your city looking grungy, don't use these.
While some of you may think that this is very un-realistic, please be mindful that you would only see these sorts of walls bordering nicer residential/commercial/industrial areas in real life, so these lots are designed to stimulate medium to high wealth growth rather than simply being neutral...unfortunately this is the way the game works and to my mind, when modding something with an in-built desirability, it should come with an associated cost.

All the lots have been made transparent (and do not suffer the water bug) so that they will blend in with your terrain.

STATS:

Lot size :                1x1 - 1x2
Plop Cost:              §40
Occupant Groups: Medium Wealth Park; Civic
Park Effect:            +15 over 15 tiles
Landmark Effect:  +20 over 10 tiles
Pollution:                 Air (-)2 over 2 tiles, Water 1 over 1 tiles, Garbage 0 over 0 tiles
Power consumed:  0 MwH
Water consumed:  5 Gallons/Month
Monthly Cost:         §5
Bulldoze Cost:        §10

NOTE ABOUT DARK NITE vs MAXIS NITE:

I've never seen a highway wall self illuminate, so there is only one model file: the day version.

DEPENDENCIES:

This file does not require external dependencies.

To install, simply unzip the contents of this file into your plugins folder.

Thanks, and enjoy!

User Feedback

@vinlabsc3k before you make such sweeping generalisations, telling everyone these can only be used for RHW6 and then down-rating as though you are the sole arbiter on such matters, why don't you try googling "highway sound barrier walls" and looking at the images section of the google results.

As many of the images show the highway walls positioned away from the highway as immediately adjacent to it as per your erroneous claim. In fact, the very first image shows the wall positioned away from the highway:

https://www.google.com.au/search?q=highway+sound+barrier+walls&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&sqi=2&ved=0ahUKEwjV-NDM5fPTAhUDQLwKHVITBEsQ_AUIBigB&biw=1527&bih=800

I suggest you get your facts straight before making such grandiose claims.

Share this comment

I agree with @mattb325, soundbarriers are positioned on very different places by the highways, avenues, simple roads. In some cases they are right next to road and behind the wall (half concrete half glass wall) a 1 meter pedestrian walk and immediately the house wall (residential), but other cases the barriers more far away and between the barrier and the highway there are trees and bushes too.

So yepp, I doubt that this set only be able to used for RHW6, because there are so many possibilities.

mattb325 and matias93 like this

Share this comment

@mattb325 As a matter of fact the link you give me show walls on the edge of roads for the most part.

I give 3 star because the set is incomplete.

Share this comment

Staff Response:

The mentioned review has been deleted for spreading inaccurate information about this content item.

While all users are encouraged to review, comment and share opinions about files on the STEX, false facts are not helpful. Especially when used on the basis of a rating, they only serve to tarnish an upload's perceived reputation. This is not fair on authors or potential downloads who may otherwise be deceived or mislead (regardless of the intent).

Share this comment

Sound barriers come in all shapes, sizes and forms.  That includes where they are placed relative to the highway.  The highway I drive around on frequently here in Madison WI has sound walls set back quite a ways from the highway.  So, while the location of the sound barrier may not match up to your world view, it doesn't make it 'wrong'.  And you know what?  There are numerous tools available to allow players to completely customize the look and function of these great models, so there is nothing stopping folks from creating their own set of lots that match exactly what they were looking for.  *:yes:

mattb325, Tyberius06 and Terring like this

Share this comment

7 hours ago, vinlabsc3k said:

I give 3 star because the set is incomplete.

I'm sorry but incomplete isn't really a fair description. They are as the author intended, so everything that doesn't meet your expectations in terms of what's included is somehow flawed?

You are not rating the set for completeness, rather for the quality of the upload on the basis of the authors intentions. I wish more users would realise this. As SimCoug correctly states, anyone can take the models and re-use them in other ways. But the onus shouldn't be on the creator to cover every possibility. Creators work very hard to bring people content, but can't do everything. If you want total flexibility, you'll need to learn how to use the modding tools to realise that.

Share this comment

I just pointed out a lack in his work, I didn't denigrate neither his work nor his person, so the censorship of my review isn't contemplated in the rules of the site.

I have only expressed my opinion and I don't understand why, instead of accepting it and maybe improving it, he complains first to me, giving a link that gives me reason, then to a staff member who immediately erases.

Share this comment

I just pointed out a lack in his work, I didn't denigrate neither his work nor his person, so the censorship of my review isn't contemplated in the rules of the site.

I have only expressed my opinion and I don't understand why, instead of accepting it and maybe improving it, he complains first to me, giving a link that gives me reason, then to a staff member who immediately erases.

Ahhh @vinlabsc3k, I didn't complain or ask for your review to be removed.

But understand this: while the site may encourage your voice, I certainly don't have to just roll over and accept your opinion on this or any matter that has to do with me (and I won't).

Your comment offered nothing by way of improvement, rather that because in your opinion usually sound walls are placed close to the edge of the lot so mine were therefore 'wrong' (your exact words).

rsc204 and DavidDHetzel like this

Share this comment

1 hour ago, vinlabsc3k said:

To clarify, the staff determined that your review was not really fair, it was modified without a complaint being submitted. I think you will see a lot more active moderation of such reviews in future. It's a difficult balance, no one is suggesting all reviews must be rated 5 stars.

But incompleteness is not a fair way to judge the quality of someone's work. The validity of the statement "complete" can only be quantified by the creator. If their goal was to make 9 pieces/lots, it's complete. Just because you want more options or things done differently, doesn't make it right to say the work is poor or of a lesser quality.

For example, you may dislike red balloons, that doesn't mean a red balloon should be rated 3/5 because it's red. But if the balloon can't be inflated, regardless of it's colour, you can argue there is something wrong with it.

thingfishs likes this

Share this comment

I gave 3 stars even for the lack of overhanging props to produce continuity over the FLUPs, Canals or whatever, but if you prefer it as is it, I will not waste any more time translating my thoughts to such a susceptible person.

Share this comment

Just to make the point more clear (and sorry for hacking a bit this space), a reasonable motive for giving a bad review on the basis of incompletitude is if the creator states something that their creation doesn't do or is. For example, you could reasonably give a 1/5 stars to my sidewalks mod if I say on its description that it changes model-baked tiles, because (even if it would be a desirable effect) it is not technically feasible.

Share this comment

2 hours ago, vinlabsc3k said:

I gave 3 stars even for the lack of overhanging props to produce continuity over the FLUPs, Canals or whatever, but if you prefer it as is it, I will not waste any more time translating my thoughts to such a susceptible person.

I highly doubt that's why you rated 3 stars, but to answer your point the 9 lots contain one left and one right overhanging lot that you can use to bridge an additional tiled gap be it "Flups, canals or whatever". It is all there in the description (which I'm assuming you didn't read) or it would have been evident if you had downloaded and used it (which I'm assuming you didn't) or was even evident if you looked at the screenshots closely.

_Michael likes this

Share this comment

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an Account  

Register a New Account

Sign In  

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Announcements

• Dirktator

06/30/2017

This month we're hoping for a little bit of a boost this month or next, in addition to covering the regular bills, we could benefit from some hardware upgrades. STEX Collector's Set gifts can now be sent to you via digital download as well as regular mail if you wish! Every donation dollar goes toward keeping Simtropolis online and humming along. Your contribution counts! Hardware Upgrades As our website community software improves with more and more features, and as we bolt on additional features such as chat, the increased load to handle all these new toys is taking the server a bit to task. You may have noticed that we'd been forced to temporarily disable the chat as we worked out allocating resources for more optimal performance. Following this, we've applied a number of 'soft' changes such as caching options and experimented with server configurations (nginx as proxy, for example), so the hardware aspect is also an area we'd like to focus on. The last time we upgraded hardware was back in 2012, prior to the release of SC13. Your contribution means a lot! Your donation will go toward helping us to 1.) migrate to a newer server or 2.) at least get some ram/cpu/storage updates and any other infrastructure hardware or services. Donate and Get a Gift or Donate Any Amount Thanks so much! - Dirktator & The Admins
  • STEX Featured

• Similar Content

• By mattb325
      Convention Center, by Mattb325.
      Though fictional, this building is inspired by some of the modern architecture of China which shows an amazing combination of self-assuredness, ebullience and seemingly gravity-defying engineering.
      Sitting on a 6x6 lot, this is a large building with the lower three floors alone providing almost 8,000m2 of floor space per floor. At its highest point, the building is 8 stories tall.
      There is also a combination of exhibition halls (including high-clearance spaces), conference rooms, cafeterias and indoor/outdoor spaces. The entire building is arranged around a pleasant, treed central courtyard
      There are very few Convention Center buildings available for SC4, and even fewer that are actually *modded* as a Convention Center. This building provides some much-needed competition in that space. 
      This BAT functions as a reward-lot and Convention Center in game. 
      In addition to providing your sims with 154 highly desirable civic jobs, it will massively help alleviate the commercial demand caps that can hinder city development by giving an additional CAP relief of 270,000 CO§§ and 270,000 CO§§§ jobs in the region. Given the way that the game is designed, in addition to providing health, education, safety, etc, using rewards is an absolutely necessary part of being able to develop large cities and regions.

* It is offered as a reward without needing to meet pre-existing conditions.
      * It is located in the REWARD Menu 
      * It can be placed more than once in a city. 
      * It DOES NOT over-write the ingame Convention Center (or any re-lotted versions there-of), so can be used in conjunction with the standard Maxis Convention Center reward.

STATS:
      Lot size :                 6 x 6
      Plop Cost:              §47,000
      Monthly Cost:        §220
      Budget Item:          Government Buildings
      Occupant Groups: Reward, Convention Crowd, Burning Dude Maker
      Demand Created:  Jobs§: 108, Jobs§§: 40, Jobs§§§: 6.
      Landmark Effect:   +200 over 64 tiles
      Pollution:                 Air 3 over 2 tiles, Water 2 over 2 tiles, Garbage 25 over 2 tiles
      Power consumed:  59 MwH
      Water consumed:   71 Gallons/Month
      Bulldoze Cost:        §3,280

This download contains TWO file types in two separate folders; one for dark nite users (and other night-time darkening mods, such as Gizmos or Mashty's night-mods) and one for the standard Maxis nite. 
      You must choose only one file - depending on which version you use. If you are unsure whether you have a night-darkening mod installed, then choose the Maxis night version. 
      If you use the dark nite version, you will need a dark nite mod. (http://community.simtropolis.com/files/file/23089-simfox-day-and-nite-modd/) 
      DEPENDENCIES:
      This lot does not require external dependencies.

NOTE ABOUT PARKING TEXTURES:
      This building deliberately does not come with parking textures, so that you can use your own parking lots adjacent to the lot, thus making it useful in both urban and suburban settings. If you wish to add parking textures, please do so using the lot editor.

Thanks.
    • By kellydale2003
      I Kellydale2003 present to you
      the Russian-Canadian-Torontonian
      inspired luxury residentials...

Vohcem Condominiums!

Vohcem Condominiums on the Lakeshore is a 100% fictional tower inspired by the amazing condos of the South Core of Downtown Toronto located along Lakeshore Boulevard. The tall yet slim structures of Downtown Toronto's South Core house thousands of Toronto residents in their ultra-modern luxury condo suites! The most recent trend in condo markets has been the partial or full rental of the condo suites to local or international hotels... making the Toronto condo market boom even more and inspire more projects like this!
      When I (Kellydale2003) first thought of building a tower like this I just started with a square, bent the edges, and rotated it slightly to break away from the traditional orientation of buildings in SimCity 4! The treated and inspired glass taught me an important lesson; Focal points can be made from the busy reflective windows. Therefore the yellow, blue, and grey facade was designed as a focal point for the whole tower... giving more culture and architectural interest to the tower.
      Soaring at a humble 36 stories of 175.4m (120% for SimCity 4) it fits in a comfortable 2x3 (32x48m) lot.

The name "Vohcem" comes from the Russian word for the number "eight".

As my personal policy always abides... NO dependencies! (:

Download the MAXIS NIGHT file if you do not have SimFox's Darknight installed in your plugins!
      Download the DARK NIGHT file if you have Dark Night installed!

For more upcoming projects visit my thread! (:

Enjoy!

, Kellydale2003

ps; I do know that the phonetic version of 'eight' in Russian is spelled differently! But for anyone who knows Canadians... We like to spell things our own way and is still legally and officially the right way of spelling it! eh! (:

ps2; You're on a Canadian website... So bleh :b you "Grammar-ologists!"

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      This is from the Ontario Creation Team!
      - Search "#OCT" to find further creations from us, or click the photo below to
      view upcoming projects and discussions! Thank you (:
    • By mattb325
      Perth Council Building, by Mattb325.
      Inspired by the Council Building in Perth's Stirling Gardens, here is another iconic early 1960's building.
      This is an example of the modernist style with Bauhaus leanings, and has distinctive external 'T' shaped sun-shades in alternating patterns over the curtain glass wall to block out the hot Western Australian sun. Conversely, the roof area has a perspex covered walkway which I imagine would be about as comfortable as an ant under a magnifying glass in the broiling summer heat!
      It is with the 'T' shaped awnings that I taken most of the liberties with this building; reducing the width of the top part of the 'T' to ensure that each sun-shade is clearly visible in game rather than blurring into one. 
      The real-life building was actually slated for demolition in the 1990's, but was saved and renovated as well as adding one extra floor at the top of the building. 
      Recently, the building was also fitted thousands of coloured leds: hence, the unusual, and prettily-coloured night-lights.
      This BAT functions as a government building and town hall in game. 
      In addition to providing your sims with 185 highly desirable civic jobs, it will help alleviate the commercial demand caps that can hinder city development. Given the way that the game is designed, in addition to providing health, education, safety, etc, using rewards is an absolutely necessary part of being able to develop large cities and regions.
      It sits on a 5x3 lot and will easily blend in with other park lots (such as the SFBT mid-wealth set) that use the Maxis R$$ plain grass. Similarly, given the fact that the building is 13 floors high, it will also work well in a dense city environment.
      * It is offered as a reward without needing to meet pre-existing conditions.
      * It is located in the REWARD Menu 
      * It can be placed more than once in a city. 
      * It DOES NOT over-write the ingame town hall (or any re-lotted versions there-of), so can be used in conjunction with the standard Maxis town hall reward.
      * It DOES NOT over-write any of my other town hall lots (so can be used in conjunction with these as well).
      STATS:
      Lot size :               5 x 3
      Plop Cost:            §47,000
      Monthly Cost:      §1,170
      Budget Item:        Government Buildings
      Occupant Groups: Reward, Courthouse
      Demand Created:  Jobs§: 23, Jobs§§: 151, Jobs§§§: 11.
      Landmark Effect: +105 over 33 tiles
      Pollution:               Air 3 over 2 tiles, Water 2 over 3 tiles, Garbage 31 over 0 tiles
      Power consumed:  55 MwH
      Water consumed:  111 Gallons/Month
      Bulldoze Cost:       §11,720

This download contains TWO file types in two seperate folders; one for dark nite users (and other night-time darkening mods, such as Gizmos or Mashty's night-mods) and one for the standard Maxis nite. 
      You must choose only one file - depending on which version you use. If you are unsure whether you have a night-darkening mod installed, then choose the Maxis night version. 
      If you use the dark nite version, you will need a dark nite mod. (http://community.simtropolis.com/files/file/23089-simfox-day-and-nite-modd/) 
      DEPENDENCIES:
      To ensure proper functionality, make sure the following files are in your plugins:

*BSC Mega Props - CP Vol02.dat (http://sc4devotion.com/csxlex/lex_filedesc.php?lotGET=2790)
      *BSC MEGA Props - SG Vol01.dat (http://sc4devotion.com/csxlex/lex_filedesc.php?lotGET=746)

NOTE ABOUT PARKING TEXTURES:
      Sadly, negative comments/reviews from a few members of the community continue to force me to add this utterly ridiculous disclaimer...this building has underground parking, and I have not used parking textures. If you wish to add parking textures, please do so using the lot editor and keep your negativity to yourself.
      Thanks.
    • By Joe_Winko_From_YouTube
      So, i just installed NAM for SimCity 4 because i saw pictures of the highways and thought they were really cool. Now, i just learned that NAM is MUCH more complicated that i thought. but i guess i could catch onto it eventually.
      Here's my questions for now.

1.) is there a way to connect a NAM-road to a normal SimCity in-game road? and if so how?
      2.) is there a way to connect a NAM-highway to a road? and if so how?
      3.) for the NAM highways and neighbor-cities-connection, is there a certain thing i have to do to make the NAM roads or highways go out of the cities and connect to the other boarding cities? 

Also, are there any tutorials i can follow? most of the ones i found online are outdated. 
  • Newest STEX Uploads

• Recent STEX Reviews

• Recent STEX Comments

• It doesn't even look like a convention center. Looks like a building at a community college or a state university.
    • Wow, what a fantastic building! I like the intricate shapes of this one, and the many different areas. There are so many details to take in that it really takes a while to grasp the entire structure. I also agree that there's not much going in in terms of conference centres, so this really fills a gap. Kudos for all the reward modding too - I know that part is pretty tedious und ungratifying work (unless you're some sick masochist ). What I also like is how well the lot complements the building, and it acomplishes that with so few and so simple means. Just a few default overlays and props, and we have a lot that leaves nothing to be desired. The one tiny suggestion I have is that all your recent buildings have had their names (and, in cases like this one, also their function) baked into the model. This is not bad generally because it allows a better visual appearance, but sometimes it limits flexibility a bit. The building in question could totally double as a modern city college, for example, or maybe even as a university (not all modern universities are sitting on a lush campus, after all!), but then there's the "Convention Center" lettering in front. I guess it can be covered with cleverly placed flora props... Fun fact: I never knew that there was an Occupant Group "burning dude maker" - what the...???
    • Do we need to delete Oppie's and replace yours?   Ps. Thank you so much for revamping this amazing mod.
    • Can someone make the Wilshire Grand Tower for SimCity3000?