• Moose

1 Screenshot

About This File

Just a nice map with a small seaport, different landscape: mountains, hills, valleys, lakes, coves and islands.

Bel-Air.png

--4x4 large city tiles

bobolee, RandyE, CT14 and 3 others like this

User Feedback

Create an account or sign in to leave a review

You need to be a member in order to leave a review

Create an Account  

Register a New Account

Sign In  

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

There are no reviews to display.

• Announcements

• Dirktator

06/30/2017

This month we're hoping for a little bit of a boost this month or next, in addition to covering the regular bills, we could benefit from some hardware upgrades. STEX Collector's Set gifts can now be sent to you via digital download as well as regular mail if you wish! Every donation dollar goes toward keeping Simtropolis online and humming along. Your contribution counts! Hardware Upgrades As our website community software improves with more and more features, and as we bolt on additional features such as chat, the increased load to handle all these new toys is taking the server a bit to task. You may have noticed that we'd been forced to temporarily disable the chat as we worked out allocating resources for more optimal performance. Following this, we've applied a number of 'soft' changes such as caching options and experimented with server configurations (nginx as proxy, for example), so the hardware aspect is also an area we'd like to focus on. The last time we upgraded hardware was back in 2012, prior to the release of SC13. Your contribution means a lot! Your donation will go toward helping us to 1.) migrate to a newer server or 2.) at least get some ram/cpu/storage updates and any other infrastructure hardware or services. Donate and Get a Gift or Donate Any Amount Thanks so much! - Dirktator & The Admins
  • STEX Featured

• Similar Content

• By Horus_Kol
      So, I've been importing maps to the map editor after getting them pretty much how I want in a graphics editor. So far my chain has been:
      Download from terrain.party (produces 8-bit grayscale PNG) Apply some curves in GIMP (still 8-bit grayscale) Convert to 24-bit grayscale in IrfanView and apply a bit of blur Import into C:SL The result is still a bit lumpy - and the smoothing tool is a bit heavy-handed/uneven.
      I suppose, what would be useful, is if there were a way to smooth the whole map in the editor at once - or a better method of producing the 24-bit image
    • By CheshireKate
      I'd like to take a region and make a new region that has the same overall topology but is 4 times the size (twice as long in each direction). Is there any easy way to do this?
    • By CheshireKate
      I'm attempting to build a city in which car usage is minimized. To that end, I've added a small industrial area in which contains no roads of any kind, only railroads and pedestrian malls. It has grown nicely, and people are getting to work by taking the tram to their nearest train station and hopping on the train to the industrial area. On the surface, it looks like everything is running nicely:

But let's take a look at where all the freight is going:

It looks like all of the factories are sending their goods along the train to the connection with the neighbouring city instead of sending it to the port. I'll note that the neighbouring connection is quite a ways off screen and that even the furthest factory from the seaport is still significantly closer to the port than it is to the next city. As a result, every one of my factories that sends freight has "long" freight times.

As you can see, the seaport has a railway connection, and it is connected to the rail system. It also has a "road" connection via pedway to the train station, so it has workers too.

Can anyone explain to me why nobody ships their freight through this port? It is a CDK3 Container Seaport which accepts rail connections, but its used capacity is 0.

The second issue is that this industrial area is fairly hilly. It's actually relatively flat compared to the surrounding areas, and I spent quite a bit of time smoothing the bumps and making the grade from the coast up to the hill that acts as a buffer between this area and my R/C neighbourhoods as gentle as possible:

However, if you zoom in on some of these diagonal train stations, you can see they look absolutely terrible when put on a slope. Not only that, but many of the pedestrian malls are half-buried under grass, giving the whole area a weird, janky look:

I tried using a slope mod to ensure my rails were built using realistic grades, but even with the least restrictive mod I could find, the area was still too hilly for me to lay down these tracks. Are there pedestrian tiles and diagonal railway stations that play more nicely with slopes, or do have to bite the bullet and flatten everything, leaving weird-looking, extra steep slopes at the edges of the area? And if I do that, what do I do with the train tracks at those steep edges?

My last question doesn't really require any screenshots. Put simply, industry generates garbage. With no roads, the only way for me to remove this garbage is via rail. Do any mods exist that allow this?
    • By Funinthesun187
      Description
      This is a 1:1 scale map of the greater area of Boston, Massachusetts. Since this is my first map, there might be a few kinks. Areas include: downtown Boston, Boston Logan Intl. Airport, Cambridge, Winthrop, Brookline, and more! This map is almost completely flat, so it's perfect for heavy development.
      Instructions on installation in the readme file included in the download.
    • By RandyE
      There are now 2 files in this package which I will refer to as the 'original' and the 'new' file(s). 
      The original file is still in the package.  It is a file that I re-edited and works as intended, a flat blank tile with unlimited simoleons, but after I heavily terra-formed the map and began building a city, I noticed some inconsistent behaviors of the simulation which may be the result of it being optimized as a 'trainer' with all buildings and ordinances available.
      The original file is intended for the purpose of introduction to the complete set of goodies in the SC3U game, and to make it easy to get started using all the features, especially for focus on creativity.  The original file does not have a coastline which is required for use of the desalinization water pump and for creating seaports.
      The new file (V2) is more for the gaming aspect, it is a fresh-started city without any of the goodies 'cheated' into the game.  It is also a 'trainer' in that it starts with 1,000,000,000 in funds, but you must 'earn' the rewards as you build and manage the city.  The new file is clear of any other modification which may interfere with the operation of the simulator so is a better example for those more interested in learning how to 'play' SC3U. 
      Note: Some rewards may not appear as they are triggered by reaching a certain amount of funds.   To enable all Rewards use Ctrl + Shift + Alt + C and type 'pay tribute to your king' in the cheat box.
      The new file includes a coastline on which the desalinization water pump will work and for creating functional seaports, includes a bit of vertical terraforming in one corner, but is otherwise flat and blank. 
      Thanks to @CorinaMarie for generating the new file which I then terra-formed, and which she then tweaked the extra funding into. 
      Thanks to @catty-cb for providing a directory of SimCity Knowledge Tree Cheats. 
      To install either or both city files in the gog.com distribution for Windows unzip and place the files(s) in '<drive>\GOG Games\SimCity 3000 Unlimited\Cities\'.  This is where to navigate to in the game to load or save a city file. 
      Also included in the zipfile is a Windows icon which can be registered in the system as the icon for all '.sc3' city files.  The icon was extracted from the SC3U.EXE application.
      The last preview is of a 3rd city file I am working on without any cheats, mods, tricks, or extra funds, starting in pure SC3U vanilla mode.  The animation demonstrates how dynamic the dilapidation and abandonment can be, with the RCI demands jumping up and down rapidly.  If using 'swallow' speed, watch utilities as they can wear down very quickly.
  • Newest STEX Uploads

• Recent STEX Reviews

• Recent STEX Comments