• Moose

Very Large Maps Mod 1.0.0

(4.69)    (13 Reviews)

2 Screenshots

About This File

Tired of SimCity 4's puny little map sizes? Even the largest tiles are only 4x4 km, but this mod makes it possible for an even larger map size by adding a "Very Large" 8x8 km (512x512 tiles) map!

That's 4 Times bigger than the largest tile in the game and 8 times bigger than SimCity 2013's Maps!

SimCity 4 by default has 3 map sizes:

Small 1x1 km (64x64 tiles)

Medium 2x2 km (128x128 tiles)

Large 4x4 km (256x256 tiles)

This mod adds:

Very Large 8x8 km (512x512 tiles)

That is 4X larger than the largest map!

Files included in ZIP file:

-"8x8_km.dat" - Includes the larger map size option and adds "yellow" as the option in "paint" when editing.
-"Compatibility_Module" - Allows for compatibility with SC4 Mapper and SC4 Terraformer.
-"Larger Maps.dll" - Required to allow the game to recognize the larger map sizes as tiles and allows them to load as well as allows cities to be built on them. Also makes it possible to save these larger maps.

Also includes two new songs that would make great background music to play while you build your metropolises on those nice larger maps!

No dependencies, works with SC4 Rush Hour, with or without the patches.

Please read the README first before installing!

How to Install:

1. Open the "Larger Maps Mod.zip," then copy both the "8x8_km.dat" and "Compatibility_Module" into your plugins folder. You can also copy "Compatibility_Module" into the root directory of your SC4 Mapper and SC4 Terraformer installs for support of this mod.

2. Copy the "Larger Map.dll" into your C:/Program Files/Maxis/SimCity 4/Apps folder (Program Files (x86) if you use a 64-Bit Windows)

Also, copy the two songs from the "New Soundtrack Music" folder into C:\Program Files\Maxis\SimCity 4 Deluxe\Radio\Stations\Mayor\Music.

3. Load up the game as normal.

How to Use This Mod and Get Larger Maps:

1. On Region View panel, go and create a new region and name it as you please. Note that you'll only see the usual three map sizes. The 8x8 km map does not appear by default as THAT would require modifying the .exe file. 

Tou6diP.png

2. Exit game

3. Go to your Documents/SimCity 4/Regions/"Name of your new Region" created in Step 4.

yehOcez.png

4. Right click on the config file and open with paint.

GGYmpMP.png

5. Zoom in. You will see 3 different colors that represent the three map sizes:
Red (1x1 Pixels) Small
Green (2x2 Pixels) Medium
Blue (4x4 Pixels) Large
*Yellow (8x8 Pixels in this mod) Very Large*

You can expand the region size by clicking right down menu and expanding it down right.

6. To create 8x8 km maps, go to edit colors on Paint and select yellow. Make sure on right pane it shows as:
Red: 255
Green: 255
Blue: 0

AzZtaVv.png

7. Draw it out where you want with 8x8 pixels and fill it out. (Make sure the other map sizes are whole or they'll glitch). If you want multiple
8x8 km Maps, draw more 8x8 pixel squares. Mix in other colors above for mix of map sizes. Fill the region with yellow if you want all 8x8 km maps, just make sure you have room! (32x32 pixels can fit 4 8x8 km maps). Here's an example of the 8x8 km map properly drawn out:

iL1K7F8.png

8. Click save and exit paint. Start-Up the game. Might take several tries to get it to work but it'll work.

9. Once the game starts, you should see your very large city tile on region view. If it's a Blank Space, just click on the space, since it'll load anyways and build away! (It'll show up on region view once you save and exit back out)

A6BoP13.jpg

10. Enjoy your much larger space!!!

ckcWCYf.jpg

tuqu0Xs.jpg

If you have any issues, please refer to the troubleshooting section in the README file.

This mod is fully compatible with Ploppable Cows and Nuclear Starbucks!

Major Bugs/Limitations:

- Roads cannot be built past 4x4 km west or southward. UPDATE: Just fixed the issue and updated mod. It's possible now, but will cause clipping.

- Game will crash after a certain prop limit, and there may be prop pox on larger cities

- Saving takes a very long time (about 5-10 minutes on my PC)

BACKUP YOUR GAME BEFORE INSTALLING THIS MOD! 

Minor Issues/Bugs:

- God Mode mountains and valleys may clip with ground and trees after 4x4 km

- Very Large cities get very laggy

- Water may not be wet enough after 4x4 km

- The furthest zoom out isn't far enough due to very large map size

- 16x16 km was originally planned as well but would crash the game and cause an infinite loop that corrupted every hard drive in my computer and their backups (Thank goodness I backed everything up online).

- 8x8 km maps decrease the chances of that happening

- May cause little sims to colonize your living room and build tiny metropolises. This is due to the side effect of the mods

- Music may cause minor frustration

- Not compatible with my 3D Camera mod

- U drive it works but if you pass 4km, your PC may crash

- Minor clipping outside 4x4 km

- Staring at the loading screens may crash the game

- Showing emotion may crash game

- Mod is fully compatible with NAM, CAM, SPAM, SAM, SLAM, RAM, JAM, FLAM, DAM, CLAM EXAM, INSTAGRAMA-RAM and SCAM

- Taking screenshots might crash the game.

- Taking screenshots with print-screen crashes the game and your PC

- Taking screenshots with your iPhone crashes the camera, game, PC and may break a tripper and cause power outages. Samsung camera works though.

- Disasters work with no issues (in real life of course)

- Using "Obliterate City" will obliterate your city, region, and your entire game. (due to corruption)

- Game will crash if loading city while sustaining a frown in real life

- Music may cause minor frustration

- May change your whole game forever

- May cause depression

- The yellow pixels can also be drawn as 16x16 pixels for a 16x16 km map. DO NOT DO THIS. Stick with 8x8 km.

- If you do load the game with a 16x16 km map, your PC may explode. Proceed at your own risk.

DISCLAIMER:

PCWHIZ24 will not be held liable for any permanent corruption, loss, depression, injuries, fires, blown eardrums, FBI visits, power outages, or miniature living room colonies caused by this mod.  

Aside from those minor bugs, it's still a great mod considering it's a game from 2003!

hole_in_map.jpg.bf2d7be1c37439319bf52d2d50731eb9.jpg

What's New in Version 1.0.0   See Changelog

Released

No changelog available for this version.

User Feedback

Create an account or sign in to leave a review

You need to be a member in order to leave a review

Create an Account  

Register a New Account

Sign In  

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

sonofsim

2 of 2 members found this review helpful 2 / 2 members

depression indeed

nos.17 and metarvo like this

Share this review

Link to review
RandyE

6 of 7 members found this review helpful 6 / 7 members

I have the 3D Cam mod, the ultimate dependency package, and now this super large map mod.  What will modders think of next? 

Share this review

Link to review
CorinaMarie

2 of 3 members found this review helpful 2 / 3 members

Ok, I'm giving this 5 stars for all the time and effort you put into it. But, could you make a mod for us little peeps? (I'm only 5' 2" tall and it takes forever to get across that huge tile.)

I'd like some tiny tiles a quarter size of the small ones.

Thanks.

Share this review

Link to review
Jasoncw

I know that when the game was released people's computers weren't as good as they are now. And even today some people's computers have trouble with large maps. 

But I have a good computer that can handle it, and imo the game's region system was never quite right (problems with the traffic simulation among other things). 

metarvo and CorinaMarie like this

Share this review

Link to review
tariely

(Pity there aren't more stars.) I know I will love to use it with the Definitive Snow Mod. (you know, the one that puts snow on absolutely everything, it's amazing.)

Share this review

Link to review
twalsh102

Truly epic!  The amount of thought that went into this is amazing

metarvo and CorinaMarie like this

Share this review

Link to review
MissVanleider

Uh... I installed this and i have a brown box. Those things are totally unrelated, I just thought i should let someone know.

RandyE, metarvo, IDS2 and 2 others like this

Share this review

Link to review
rivit

triffic, a devolution in modern gaming, also don't hit F12

Share this review

Link to review
luklitzke

Did not work for me.

Share this review

Link to review
elpibedelobo

POR FIN!!!! FINALLY!!!! LO QUE LLEVABAMOS ESPERANDO DESDE 2004!!! WE ARE WAITING BY THIS FROM 2004 YEAR!!! THAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAANKSSSSS!!!!!!!!

Share this review

Link to review
metarvo

R-r-r-revolutionary!  What will you think of next?  This is outstanding!  Maybe it will be updated to be compatible with HAM and YAM eventually.

Share this review

Link to review
  • Announcements

• Dirktator

06/30/2017

This month we're hoping for a little bit of a boost this month or next, in addition to covering the regular bills, we could benefit from some hardware upgrades. STEX Collector's Set gifts can now be sent to you via digital download as well as regular mail if you wish! Every donation dollar goes toward keeping Simtropolis online and humming along. Your contribution counts! Hardware Upgrades As our website community software improves with more and more features, and as we bolt on additional features such as chat, the increased load to handle all these new toys is taking the server a bit to task. You may have noticed that we'd been forced to temporarily disable the chat as we worked out allocating resources for more optimal performance. Following this, we've applied a number of 'soft' changes such as caching options and experimented with server configurations (nginx as proxy, for example), so the hardware aspect is also an area we'd like to focus on. The last time we upgraded hardware was back in 2012, prior to the release of SC13. Your contribution means a lot! Your donation will go toward helping us to 1.) migrate to a newer server or 2.) at least get some ram/cpu/storage updates and any other infrastructure hardware or services. Donate and Get a Gift or Donate Any Amount Thanks so much! - Dirktator & The Admins
  • STEX Featured

• Similar Content

• By CorinaMarie
      Introducing Temere Locus Full, the 4th map in my could-be-a-real-place-but-isn't series.
      This is a SimCity 4 region I created using the Offline Planet Map Generator. (If you want the program, scroll down there and it's the first linky under the pictures. Get the one that includes the source code because that also has the color table files.) I used 942669825 seed number and magnification set to level to 1.0. To avoid having to adjust the gamma color level in GIMP I set the -i parameter to -0.051 for creating the grayscale image. (This adjusts the initial altitude for the sea level as seen by the Planet.Exe program.) Here's the complete command line I used:
      Planet.Exe -X -pq -s 0.942669825 -m 1.0 -C Greyscale.col -w 3073 -h 1536 -i -0.051 -o 942669825-08-(12x6Lg)-SC4Gray.bmp
      ^ If that line wraps it's not supposed to when you do that at the Dos command line.
      You might notice the height parameter is set to 1536 even tho we want 1537. This is because otherwise the program will create a single pixel white row across the top which turns into a wall when rendering in SC4. So, once the grayscale was generated I pulled it up in GIMP and scaled it to 3073 x 1537. (This is the size for 12 x 6 large city tiles (72 total). Then I added Gaussian Blur of 15.0 both horizontally and vertically to make the rendered map more slope mod friendly. And finally, I set the mode to true grayscale before saving it. Additionally, I modified the Columbus Terrain Mod 2 by setting MaxBeachWidth to 0x9 and MaxBeachAltitude to 9. I feel this defines the coast lines better.
      The pictures above are:
      Simulated SC4 height map as seen in game of the mini map with All Off and Zones data views. Same as # 1 with Contour Lines added. Mollweide projection as if this were a planet (cause it looks cool) Satellite view from Region Census Traffic view from Region Census To use: Put the three files in a folder called Temere Locus Full under your Region folder of SimCity 4 in your Documents.  Then simply render in game with Shift+Control+Alt+r from that region screen like any other grayscale import.
    • By CorinaMarie
      Introducing Temere Locus, the 3rd map in my could-be-a-real-place-but-isn't series.
      This is a SimCity 4 region I created using the Offline Planet Map Generator. (If you want the program, scroll down there and it's the first linky under the pictures. Get the one that includes the source code because that also has the color table files.) I used 942669825 seed number and magnification set to level to 2.0. To avoid having to adjust the gamma color level in GIMP I set the -i parameter to -0.051 for creating the grayscale image. (This adjusts the initial altitude for the sea level as seen by the Planet.Exe program.) Here's the complete command line I used:
      Planet.Exe -X -pq -s 0.942669825 -m 2.0 -C Greyscale.col -w 1537 -h 1536 -i -0.051 -o 942669825-SC4Gray.bmp
      ^ If that line wraps it's not supposed to when you do that at the Dos command line.
      You might notice the height parameter is set to 1536 even tho we want 1537. This is because otherwise the program will create a single pixel white row across the top which turns into a wall when rendering in SC4. So, once the grayscale was generated I pulled it up in GIMP and scaled it to 1537 x 1537. (This is the size for 6 x 6 large city tiles (36 total). Then I added Gaussian Blur of 15.0 both horizontally and vertically to make the rendered map more slope mod friendly. And finally, I set the mode to true grayscale before saving it.
      The pictures above are:
      Simulated SC4 height map as seen in game of the mini map with All Off and Zones data views. Same as # 1 with Contour Lines added. Satellite view from Region Census Traffic view from Region Census To use: Put the three files in a folder called Temere Locus under your Region folder of SimCity 4 in your Documents.  Then simply render in game with Shift+Control+Alt+r from that region screen like any other grayscale import.
    • By CorinaMarie
      This is a SimCity 4 region I created using the Offline Planet Map Generator. (If you want the program, scroll down there and it's the first linky under the pictures. The one that includes the source code because that also has the color table files.) I used the same seed number as my previous 64 large tile Mon Lacus Map, but this one is a portion of that map having 4 x 4 large tiles (16 total) for peeps who like smaller regions. I used the same 14937910 seed number as before, but I set the magnification level to 2.0. This carves out the middle section horizontally and does not require the vertical stretching that the zoom level 1 does. Also, to avoid having to adjust the gamma color level in GIMP I set the -i parameter to -0.051 for creating the grayscale image. (This adjusts the initial altitude for the sea level as seen by the Planet.Exe program.) Here's the complete command line I used:
      Planet.Exe -X -pq -s 0.14937910 -m 2.0 -C Greyscale.col -w 1025 -h 1024 -i -0.051 -o 14937910-SC4Gray.bmp
      You might notice the height parameter is set to 1024 even tho we want 1025. This is because otherwise the program will create a single pixel white row across the top which turns into a wall when rendering in SC4. So, once the grayscale was generated I pulled it up in GIMP and scaled it to 1025 x 1025. Then I added Gaussian Blur of 15.0 both horizontally and vertically to make the rendered map more slope mod friendly. And finally, I set the mode to true grayscale before saving it.
      The pictures above are:
      Lefebvre2 color scheme with contour lines Satellite view from Region Census Traffic view from Region Census My first second third fourth draft of creating my own color table for the program. It's supposed to be similar to the collage of the data view topographical maps I did for the other map, but without me having to do all that tedious copy and precision pasting. Note: It will show more fine detail  because this is before the rendering and does not take into account the merging/averaging that SC4 does when rendering.  The water will also show more detail for elevations. Those (tho averaged in rendering) are still there, but the color ramp for the mini map doesn't have enough divisions to show them. To use: Put the three files in a folder called Mons Lacus Jr under your Region folder of SimCity 4 in your Documents.  Then simply render in game with Shift+Control+Alt+r from that region screen like any other grayscale import.
    • By thiagol
      Hey, i have a 21:9 ultrawide screen and i would like to know, since SC4 does not support 21:9, which resolution would fit the best? I don't intend to cover all the screen, as this is impossible, but i want to have good resolution and most coverage.  1920x1080, 1600x900, 1366x768, etc?
  • Newest STEX Uploads

• Recent STEX Reviews

• Recent STEX Comments