Real Upgradeable City Halls 1.0.0

(5.00)    (2 Reviews)

3 Screenshots

About This File

This mod may not be compatible with the "All 3 CityHalls Modd Reward fix". This plugin is intended to supersede that file's behavior.

This is a DLL for SimCity 4 that makes the City Hall reward upgradeable. Instead of implementing the three City Hall stages as separate reward lots, this mod implements Maxis' originally intended behavior of actually replacing the City Hall lot as new stages are unlocked. It also prompts the user with advisor messages asking if they want to upgrade the reward, just like the airport upgrade behavior.

This mod is part of my effort to deconstruct the internal game interfaces. The development thread can be found at this link. Source code is over here.

Behavior
The user is prompted monthly to upgrade to stage 2 when the city's population reaches 45,000, and to upgrade to stage 3 at 95,000. The mod also adds a cheat code, "UpgradeCityHall," that forces the upgrade prompt to appear regardless of population.

Installation
Unzip to My Documents\SimCity 4\Plugins.

Compatibility
Tested and working on 1.1.641.0 (Steam/GOG/Origin) on Windows. Also works in combination with SC4Fix and the Extra Cheats DLL. Untested but should work with any version of SimCity 4 Deluxe or SimCity 4 w/ Rush Hour.

Mac and Linux users: this mod is untested on those platforms but my understanding is that SimCity 4 for Mac and Linux is essentially a Wine wrapper. Compatibility is not guaranteed, but it's worth a shot. If you're playing on Aspyr's PowerPC version of SimCity 4 this mod will definitely not work, but if you're using that version of SC4 you probably have other issues to deal with.

What's New in Version 1.0.0

Released

Replaced the debug version of the DLL with a release version.

UpgradeableCityHalls.zip

User Feedback

Recommended Comments

Wow, that's a spectacular comeback indeed! That, and a good candidate for the "biggest technical achievement beyond the buildings" Trixie category. Unbelievable how this is finally fixed so long after the game came out. Thank you so much for this! It's an instant must-have in my view. :)

Share this comment

I have a , probably dumb question .  But , do I place both files in my plugins folder or is it one or the other . This sounds like a great mod . Sorry for sounding like a newbie . I just want to be positive , before I do something incorrect . 

Share this comment

On ‎11‎/‎5‎/‎2016 at 0:20 AM, raynev1 said:

I have a , probably dumb question .  But , do I place both files in my plugins folder or is it one or the other . This sounds like a great mod . Sorry for sounding like a newbie . I just want to be positive , before I do something incorrect . 

You need both files.  The .dll file contains the meat of the process that allows the upgrades to begin with.  The .dat file contains the some LTEXT text files and the LUA that specifies the triggers for the upgrades. 

In general any .dll file needs to be at the root of your plugins folder (not inside another folder).  The .dat file is not location critical (I don't think), but it would make sense to keep it with the .dll.

Share this comment

I've downloaded and installed this mod, but I haven't been able to get it to work in my existing cites (I haven't tried it in a new one yet).  I installed the .dat & .dll files directly into the root of my plugins folder.  I have some additional questions about how this mod performs under specific scenarios and if there has been any testing to verity its functionality under those circumstances.  Is this mod retroactive with existing cities that have surpassed the population triggers built into this mod? (ex. city population 652,337, will mod work to upgrade city hall)  Can this mod be used in an existing region or can it only be used at the onset of starting a new region?  In the screen shoot it looks like you have the construct civics mod installed (used to make civic plops appear as if they are being built).  Is that mod required for this mod to function correctly? Thanks in advance.  Also, awesome mod...just trying to make sure it works.

Share this comment