• Moose

7 Screenshots

About This File

The Previews above from left to right show, 1) Atlantis as SC4 Mapper displays it in Region view, 2) The config.sys file as it was enlarged and used as the shape of the island, 3) The grayscale map made from the config.sys file with a hill and 2 inland lakes added, 4) A map of the Region as seen in SC4 Mapper, 5) A partially re-textured region as cities were loaded and saved from the SC4 Mapper Region view, 6) The default texture generated by SC4 when the grayscale is manually loaded using CNTRL+SHIFT+ALT+R, and, 7)  A view of a partially developed region. 

Atlantis is a fictional island world from Ancient Greek mythology, initially popularized by the philosopher Plato who composed modern ethics and ideals into his revised stories of Atlantis.  The region is mostly flat land with lots of access to water. 

This download includes both an .SC4M file, and an 8-bit .bmp, 256 grayscale indexed heightmap, config.bmp and region.ini files. The grayscale map can either be manually installed or imported into SC4 Mapper or SC4 Terraformer to generate an .SC4M file that you may prefer to work with.  The above preview images and basic instructions for manual installation also included.

EDIT Feb 28, 2017

An alternate Atlantis map can be found below.  The grayscale can be rendered in SC4, or loaded into SC4 Mapper.  The map below may be considered to be more specific to the story, or at least to the popular versions of it.  Its a flat map made up of concentric circles divided into sections. 

For more info and discussion of methods of map-making and installing see:  C.O.R.I.M.A.P.S. - A Tutorial for SimCity 4 by @CorinaMarie

korver likes this

User Feedback

Create an account or sign in to leave a review

You need to be a member in order to leave a review

Create an Account  

Register a New Account

Sign In  

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

There are no reviews to display.

• Announcements

• Dirktator

06/20/2017

This month we're hoping for a little bit of a boost this month or next, in addition to covering the regular bills, we could benefit from some hardware upgrades. STEX Collector's Set gifts can now be sent to you via digital download as well as regular mail if you wish! Every donation dollar goes toward keeping Simtropolis online and humming along. Your contribution counts! Hardware Upgrades As our website community software improves with more and more features, and as we bolt on additional features such as chat, the increased load to handle all these new toys is taking the server a bit to task. You may have noticed that we'd been forced to temporarily disable the chat as we worked out allocating resources for more optimal performance. Following this, we've applied a number of 'soft' changes such as caching options and experimented with server configurations (nginx as proxy, for example), so the hardware aspect is also an area we'd like to focus on. The last time we upgraded hardware was back in 2012, prior to the release of SC13. Your contribution means a lot! Your donation will go toward helping us to 1.) migrate to a newer server or 2.) at least get some ram/cpu/storage updates and any other infrastructure hardware or services. Donate and Get a Gift or Donate Any Amount Thanks so much! - Dirktator & The Admins
  • STEX Featured

• Similar Content

• By Gambit
      Evening, all.
      I'm curious to know whether this bug has been experienced by any other users and whether there is a solution.
      I have attempted to render several custom regions. When completed, I encounter this issue, circled in red:

It may be worth noting also that land edges are also of low quality. As far as I can determine, this has happened only with regions downloaded to this computer from the STEX. Regions downloaded and rendered prior to reformatting my hard drive, and copied to this installation of SimCity 4 show no such anomalies.
      Might it possibly have something to do with the low quality of grayscale JPGs used to render the regions in-game, or perhaps some kind of compression occurred when the grayscale JPGs were downloaded thus reducing the image quality?
      I'd much appreciate your thoughts on this.
      Mod Edit: This topic is too old to bump, so I'm adding this for anyone who runs across this thread while researching a similar problem. I've explained the cause in this post.
      -Cori (Staff Moderator)
    • By RandyE
      MAP FILES INCLUDED: Folder: Earth Grayscale Heightmaps
      01_Earth_257x257_1x1_Signature.bmp
      02_Earth_513x257_1x2_Hemispheres.bmp
      03_Earth_513x513_2x2_Squared.bmp
      04_Earth_769x513_2x3_Continents.bmp
      05_Earth_769x513_2x3_Relief.bmp
      All files listed above and below are in the same sequence as the previews.
      Folder: Regions
      Earth Signature 1x1
      Earth Hemispheres 1x2
      Earth Squared 2x2
      Earth Continents 2x3
      Earth Relief 2x3
      The following text is contained in the zipfile in readme.txt and HTML.
      INSTALL the REGIONS Folder:  SC4M Earth 2x3 Relief
      I have included an .SC4M map of the '05_Earth_769x513_2x3_Relief' map in a new folder.  To load the map in SC4 Mapper, click on 'Create Region' and select 'Grayscale'.  SC4 Mapper creates the city files and a config.bmp file by default, but not a region.ini file.  A region.ini file is included in the folder which may be cut and pasted into the Region folder SC4 Mapper creates.  Included above are 2 new previews (to the right) showing an image from SC4 Mapper, and the rendered map in 'SC4 Region View.'

FOR ALL OTHER MAPS using the SC4 in-game Map Renderer
      From the unzipped 'Regions' folder select any or all of the sub folders, cut and paste into your user  '/Documents/ SimCity 4/Regions' folder.   Each of the Regions will then appear in your 'Region' menu in the game with the same name as the folder.  Each folder contains a region.ini file and a config.bmp file, defining the name and layout of the region.
      The 'Earth Signature' region is a 1x1 large city tile, containing only one large blank terra-formed tile.  This folder also contains 1 city file (662k) named 'City - New City.sc4'.  This region does not have to be rendered and may be viewed and used immediately in the game.  The city has not been 'Start'ed so is still named 'City - New City.sc4'.  
      All other region folders only contain the region.ini and config.bmp files, the maps must be rendered in SC4 region view using the included grayscale heightmaps in .bmp (256 indexed grayscale 8-bit) format.
      The grayscale heightmaps in this package were hand designed for use with the SC4 in-game map renderer using a popular color relief map.  If you use SC4 Mapper or Terraformer, smoother surfaces and smaller file sizes may be achieved, but elevation interpretation is different, generally the water level is one increment shallower, some land area may go under.
      Instructions for rendering the maps with SC4 can be found at the bottom of this page.
        SCALING in SC4 3D SPACE:  The maps are not proportionally scaled either horizontally or vertically, they only represent a general idea of area and height.  
      Horizontally, the term 'tile' is used for both the grid of squares in the city view and the grid of cities in the region view.  One city view tile is 16m x16m, and one large city tile in region view is 4km x 4km.  
      Grid lines in city view may be toggled on/off by pressing the 'g' key.  Grid lines in region view may be switched on/off by checking/unchecking 'Show City Boundaries'.
      Vertically, buildings are scaled in (cubic) meters, but land area and elevations are more often very disproportional. In my 'Earth Relief' map one increment of land in region view is about equal to 1800m, so 5 increments from sea level is the highest point on Earth at near 9000m.   
      There are 62 (62 x 1800m) increments from the bottom of the sea in SC4 to the top of its 3D space, sea level cannot be raised or lowered from its 6 increment setting.  In terms of my 'Relief Map' then 6 x 1800m is the deepest surface below sea level at 10,800m, almost 11 kilometers.  Actual scientific measurements indicate about the same depth.
      Consistently, the top of SC4 space is (62 x 1800) 111,600m, about 112km above the solid surface of the Earth.   Objects below about 160km in orbit are considered to be below "Low Earth Orbit".  The International Space Station orbits at about 3 times the height of SC4 space in the same spherical area defined as the 'Thermosphere' of the Earth.
       INSTALL INSTRUCTIONS:  1.) Launch SC4. In Region View use the Load Region scroll menu to locate and open the region you want. 
       2.) In Region View press CTRL-ALT-SHIFT-R.  You should now have a window in the top-left corner.  
       3.) Navigate to the 'Earth Grayscale Heightmaps' subfolder in the unzipped 'SC4 Earth Maps 256 Grayscale' folder.
       4.) Scroll to the bitmap (.bmp) corresponding to the region you have selected and click 'Okay'.   (The exact file names of the region and map must match)
      The simulator should begin processing the map.  If successful, you will see the region with city layout.  The processing takes from a few minutes to several minutes to complete.  
      --/--
    • By RandyE
       This file includes the following readme.txt file and an HTML file with info and resources for map-making.
      Install instructions:
      1.) Launch SC4. In Region View Create a New Region. Name it 'The ArcoDonut' or whatever you want.  Save the region by clicking Create Region and exit SC4.
      2.) Navigate to your Regions folder in your user profile under SimCity 4. In the Regions folder is now a new folder named The ArcoDonut, or whatever you named the Region.  Inside the folder are two files: config.bmp, region.ini.  Delete the config.bmp file and replace it with the one found in the unzipped folder.  Leave the region.ini file as it contains the name given to the region.
      3.) Re-launch SC4 and load the ArcoDonut region. In Region View press CTRL-ALT-SHIFT-R.  You should now have a window in the top-left corner. 
      4.) Navigate to the location of the 'Grayscale Heightmap' subfolder and open the file  'Z_ArcoDonut_833x769.bmp'.  The simulator should begin processing the map. If successful, you will see the region with city layout.  The processing takes from a few minutes to several minutes to complete. 
      5.) Before starting a new city, the terrain may have to be raised by one increment  in the large cities to give you plenty of area to build on,  depending on what terrain mods are installed. 
      Thanks to @CorinaMarie for some helpful critique, technical details and editing on this project.   For more discussion of methods of making maps see:  C.O.R.I.M.A.P.S. - A Tutorial for SimCity 4

• Recent STEX Reviews

• Recent STEX Comments

• I know it's sized 2x1, but what kind of residential do I need to zone for this to grow? Light, medium, or high density? Or does it not matter? Anyone who can answer I appreciate it.
    • Love your work, but since a handful of files now from different users require offsite files that link to dead links I wish it was a rule here that all dependencies should be on site somehow. Thanks for the reup of the files...
    • I'm still working on the Maxis Vanilla tilesets presentation, but yeah its endless how many amazing artists have contributed to the SC4 repository over the past 14 years.  The problem with the tilesets and with RCI is that there's too much repetition.   I'm going to use for the first time a Maxis blocker that will eliminate all vanilla repetition and reveal whatever user created programming defines.  However, my project is not specific to agriculture.   We'll get back to that later.
    • @RandyE Thanks! I grabbed that one too. I'm not ready yet to kill them all, but I do want other stage 3 farm buildings to compete with Pedriana. Ideally I'd like to find a few more. In the meantime I'm now on a downloading frenzy getting all of @dk1's stuff. Their simple elegance (and the convenience of no dependencies) makes them ideal for mixing in with my otherwise nearly plain vanilla Maxis content.
    • @CorinaMarie It works for me !!