About This File
This map began with a modelled picture of a dove, and was processed into an 8-bit 256 indexed grayscale. It was discovered that although a grayscale height-map could be 8-bit and 256 shades of gray, it must also be 'indexed' specifically as a grayscale image otherwise SC4 will simply render a flat region. Thanks to @CorinaMarie for investigating the format and rendering the image into the initial dove-shaped island landscape. From there, I developed the 'Dove Islands' region theme with a city layout (config.bmp).
Included in the zip-file is the preview image, install instructions (readme.txt), the Dove Islands region height-map, config.bmp, and region.ini file. Also included is a file for the cloud background in the preview. The 'region_bg_1-clouds.dat' may be placed in the Plugins folder where the game is installed.
For more about creating grayscale heightmaps see: C.O.R.I.M.A.P.S. - A Tutorial for SimCity 4
1. Place 'Dove Islands' folder in user account Documents/SimCity 4/ Regions folder.
2. Load SC4 and select 'Dove Islands' region
3. In region view press CNTRL+SHIFT+ALT+R and navigate to Grayscale Heightmap subfolder.
4. Select Dove_lslands_513x449.bmp
5. Wait for SC4 to render the map and create the city files.
What's New in Version 2.0.0
Revision: renamed map, reduced elevation, added cloud background.