• Moose

1 Screenshot

About This File

This is the Windows installer. The Mac OSX Version is a little to buggy for release right now, so you can run this in WINE or download this in a NAM package with a wineskin wrapper at http://sc4devotion.com/forums/index.php?topic=17344.msg505849#msg505849 Version 2.1.1 is coming soon and will include newly PIM-X'ed buildings, better installers for both Windows and Mac, and other little changes/bug fixes.

There is a lot of myths about CAM out there. For a beautifully written article about what CAM is really about, see the blog by Tarkus here The CAM (Colossus Addon Mod) – Separating Fact From Fiction. This article also give a great idea on some great starter buildings.

NOTE: If you have merged your SimCity_1.dat file with the original CAM 1.0 file, restore your original SimCity_1.dat file before running this installer.

Welcome to the Colossus Addon Mod (CAM). CAM changes the way cities and regions develop. This is possible through the use of Growth Stages(Read in Basics of the Manual). This causes the game to progress from small stores, single houses and farms/small factories to Commercial Office towers, Residential High Rises and Large industrial factories less rapidly and much more realistically.

The altered growth also allows the player better control their cities through the use of zoning density. If the player wanted a nice rural town, zone only light density, with some medium in larger areas. On the other side, the skyscrapers and other large buildings become more balanced and possible with very developed regions. Use of high density zoning will allow these to grow when ready.

As with any new software or mod, be sure to read the Readme’s and this guide before installing or using the mod. Page 4 of the manual contains the specifics of installation. The manuals can be downloaded or read in both English and Japenese here, http://sc4devotion.com/forums/index.php?topic=17318.0

Description of new Styles

Install Types:

IR Fix Only – Will only Patch the SimCity_1.dat file. This will cause IR to be included in the totals for industry for regular SimCity 4. It will also allow normal industrial connections to work for IR. All other install types include this already. Original SimCity 4 files are backed up in the folder \Documents\SimCity 4\Original SimCity Files\

Extended (InvisiChem) – This is CAM 2.1.0 Standard with extended stage ranges for larger regions. The growth I feel is more balanced and lifelike.

Standard – Just like CAM 1.0 stages, just the curves have been smoothed out and the range slightly extended.

Rural – Stages are set for smaller, rural style growth. Stage 15 can happen, it just will be in very large regions and very infrequently.

Midrise – Stages are set to place an emphasis on growing midrise stages. This is similar to the way European cities grow.

Skyscraper – Stages have been set to allow Skyscrapers to grow quickly, even in one city regions.

All stage settings, except for the Extended version, are the values that were originally developed by RippleJet. All the new CAM 2.1.0 fixes have been included in all versions. The only difference between types is the stages for specific play style.

Feel free to add comments here, the CAM General discussions board at SC4Devotion, or if you start a thread here at Simtropolis, let me know so I can be as helpful as possible. Feel free to discuss any myths about this mod that have circulated in the past. I will be more than happy to share what this mod is truly about, including how it helps regional play.

Cheers everyone, 

InvisiChem.

SC4DatPacker.exe.log

User Feedback

Create an account or sign in to leave a review

You need to be a member in order to leave a review

Create an Account  

Register a New Account

Sign In  

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Fantozzi

1 of 1 member found this review helpful 1 / 1 member

This is one of the best mods, maybe amongst the top 20. But I would be curious to know how many people download and install this without knowing what this mod exactly does.

It needs a basic understanding about game mechanics - about growth especially - the mechanics why certain buildings of certain sizes grow and why not and how this mod affects growth by changing the caps for grow levels.

It isn't a desire mod and it doesn't balance desire for you, it only gives more headroom (the possible desire you can create). This means if you haven't the needed desire in your city the skyscrapers won't grow, even with the 'skyscraper option'.

On the other hand - if you downloaded and installed any growable building that has more than 5000 occupants - those buildings will mostly not grow at all without this mod. So it depends on the stats of your buildings if you need this mod, not on how the buildings look like (tall or small). So yes, on certain buildings growth is easier with this mod (or even: possible) and even earlier - but not city 'growth' itself - you still have to do a good major job to have this effect.

The growing curves described above can only work with buildings modded accordingly. Especially on the beginning - on cities up to ~5000 residents (grow stages 1-3), there is almost no difference between CAM or non-CAM development. The differences between the growing curves take effect on the long run.

The CAM modifies the base game's buildings therefore (grow stage and zone density). Accordingly it also changes network capacities and does some fixes . That's why it needs writing access on the base game data and why it changes them and makes a security copy. All this is written in the manual.

But if you don't deal much with the default buildings and instead download many other buildings (which aren't 'camified'), so what you do - you break this part of the mod with custom content again. It can't take effect on custom content if this content isn't modded accordingly.

The initial idear of this mod was to extend growing process, not to speed it up. On the base game, once your city has reached ~50.000 residents, growth is finished, all kind of buildings are available, all caps are exceeded and even if the city gets bigger, there won't appear new buildings once the highest grow stages (8) is reached. So the 'surprises' are finished, visually nothing much new will happen in your city . The idear was to extend this process up to 15 stages - not to play faster but longer and still get some 'surprises' and visual changes in the game.

But this only works with buildings modded accordingly.

So if you use an extended CAM installation and at the same time many custom content buildings that weren't modded for the CAM - what you're doing is making the mod more and more ineffective. If you change the mechanics and this mechanics can't be applied on most of the objects in the game ... it's like a clockwork without index. You won't see much going on.

Share this review

Link to review
TheLynx99

1 of 1 member found this review helpful 1 / 1 member

Great mod other than one little glitch i'm receiving. I have no inCAMpatible buildings and have not gotten even close to my demand cap but am still getting buildings saying "abandoned due to commute time." Is there any way i can fix it or is this a glitch in the mod itself?

Share this review

Link to review
gamzdude

Thanks for reviving this awesome mod :thumb:.

Share this review

Link to review
OcramsRzr

I used to use the CAM extensively. What are the noticeable changes since 1.0?

Share this review

Link to review
Cyclone Boom

Well done, thanks for reviving this innovative SimCity 4 mod! :thumb:

Share this review

Link to review

• Announcements

• Dirktator

04/17/2017

Your donations not only help keep the site up and running, but also allows us to expand some functionality and upgrade other features of the site periodically to stay current! We're looking for some community support to help us get a new Chat system (as you know our old Chat is no longer supported by IP.Board). A new system promises to give us many more options and all for fairly little cost, relatively speaking. Please help us reach our April goal so we can keep bringing you site improvements as well!  Donate and Get a Gift or Donate Any Amount Thanks so much! - Dirktator & The Admins
  • STEX Featured

• Similar Content

• By Fantozzi
      5 Relots of JP Schriefers Castelo Del Mar
      CAM Stages 11 and 12,
      1x R$$, 4xR$$$
      Lot Sizes: 2x3, 3x3,3x2
      (Stats generated by Pim-X)

Dependencies:
      Castel Del Mar by JP Schriefer
      Colossus Addon Mod 2.1
      BSC Mega Props - CP Vol02.dat
      BSC MEGA Props - MJB Vol02.dat
      BSC MEGA Props - SG Vol 01.dat
      BSC Textures Vol 01.dat
      Fantozzi's Audio Essentials

• By kingofsimcity
      KOSC Presents: Diego Del Llano Growables - 2017 Pack One
      Introduction
      This is set of growable, high-density lots made from Diego Del Llano's BATs that were released in 2017. The objective of this set is to provide growable alternatives to the ploppable landmarks in the original release for a more traditional gaming experience. While ploppable are amazing in their own right, it doesn't quite allow for one to experience the feeling of zoning a plot and having that shiny new tower pop up.
      Package Overview
      4/14 IMPORTANT NOTE - this file currently only works with the DarkNite versions, and NOT MaxisNite - an update will be rolled out soon to accomodate the MaxisNite buildings

Included in the following package are a set of growables for all Diego Del Llano's 2017 releases (excluding the Loop Postal Station building in the Federal Center Chicago set). A couple of the buildings have different occupant versions to satisfy different demand groups.
      There are TWO versions of the package you can download: Vanilla and CAM. The vanilla version has all of the larger buildings capped at stage 8, with capacities that do not exceed 7500. For those that use the Colossus Addon Mod, the larger buildings extend all the way up to stage 15 and boast much higher capacities, up to around 11000.
      If you desire to plop the growables, use the buildingPlop cheat and look for exemplars starting at DiegoDL_ (requires ExtraCheats.dll).
      General Stats
      All stats were generated with PIM-X. Vanilla versions differ only in growth stage and maximum capacity tweaks (for buildings that exceeded 7000 by default). The breakdown is as follows:
      4 R$$$ buildings
      CITITOWER Guadalajara, 4x6 left corner Ventura Place One, 3x4 front Ventura Place Two, 3x4 front Ventura Place Three, 3x4 front 4 CS$$$ buildings
      CITITOWER Guadalajara, 4x6 left corner Hotel Presidente Guadalajara, 5x5 front Hotel Presidente Intercontinental Mexico City, 4x2 front Carlton Hotel Johannesburg, 4x2 front 7 CO$$ buildings
      AON Center, 3x4 front Carlton Center, 3x4 front Carlton Hotel Building, 4x2 front 345 California Center, 6x3 front One Kansas City Place, 4x3 front Everett McKinley Dirksen Building (Federal Center Chicago), 3x8 front John C. Kluczynski Building (Federal Center Chicago), 6x3 front 10 CO$$$ buildings
      One Metropolitan Square, 6x5 right corner Gas Company Tower, 6x3 front Capella Tower, 4x8 left corner Park Building (Capella Tower small building), 4x2 front Chanin Building, 4x4 front Commerzbank Tower, 4x5 front IBM-Marathon Tower, 5x9 right corner Denver Place, 6x8 front First National Bank Tower, 5x5 front Torre Multiva, 4x3 front Detailed stats for all of the buildings can be found in the enclosed README.
      Install Instructions
      Pick either the vanilla or the CAM version and drop the files in your My Documents/SimCity 4/Plugins folder. To uninstall, simply delete the files from your hard drive.
      Dependencies
      Main Building(s)
      This list contains all of the buildings used in this set. Each subfolder corresponds to a particular building/set of buildings - if you don't have a particular building feel free to delete the corresponding subfolder.
      Cititower Guadalajara Denver Place Hotel Presidente Intercontinental Mexico City Commerzbank Tower IBM Marathon (1250 René-Lévesque) Hotel Presidente Guadalajara Torre Multiva AON Center Gas Company Tower Carlton Center Carlton Hotel Johannesburg One Metropolitan Square One Kansas City Place First National Bank Tower Capella Tower Ventura Place Three Ventura Place Two Ventura Place One Federal Center Chicago Chanin Building 345 California Center Mods (CAM version only)
      You will only need these if you're using the CAM version. Either version of CAM will work with the CAMeLots.
      Colossus Addon Mod 2.1 Colossus Addon Mod 1.0 Credit goes to Diego Del Llano for all of these spectacular BATs!
    • By huzman
      I depend a lot on the shortcuts (hotkeys) of the game. I have learned a lot of them from the vanilla SC4D, but I can't find the ones for NAM, SAM, CAM and other ones. Do they exist?
    • By Fantozzi
      To avoid the 'show us thread ...' to be abused as a development thread I open this one instead. Seems on this project there is a need for this - as I have to learn and the project seems to become a bigger task to me.
      @rsc204 said:
      "In this case, they are growable, which is clear if you've read the development thread. As for SPAM ready, I'm not sure anyone brought that up, although it would be nice *hint*"

Nope, sorry. These are my plans and it's still a long journey:
      1. Non-overriding for triple choice: use Maxis-blocker or FrankU's Maxis replacers or (if you think so) Maxis alongside. In fact, many dependencies I will share with FrankU's farms and I try not to repeat what he already did but to complement his work as good as possible (he sems to like flower fields, I think, so me: less flowers fields etc.).
      2. Big set with all CAM stages 1- 7 well covered (-> no SPAM). Advantage: I plan to pack grow stage 1- 3 and 4-7 separate - so you can use a part of the set (1-3) also if you haven't CAM.
      3. Changing farm style and field style with growing stage completely. What you see in the posted picture - the south european, mediterranian style will only be stage 1 and 2. Slowly changing to more 'north american/central european' bigger farms and finally on grow stage 6 and 7 to really ugly heavy industrialized mass production.
      4. But also - and that's the point why I got into it - having the farm field accordingly to the farms. So the vineyards and lovely things on the earlier grow stages (with the mediterranian style) but to have also farm fields looking like industrial mass production on the highest stages. I want to achieve the same significant visual change as for the cities also for the farms. Idears how the highly industrialized farm fields could look like are welcome. Me thinking about how I can make 'farm fields' not really fields but also some kind of modular industrial life stock farming rows. And well, I got the inspiration by @OcramsRzr , who made me thinking about how different farming looks like around the world. So maybe, if I find suitable stuff - I will do some kind of vertical farming etc. on the highest CAM stages too. But that are all thoughts, idears, so far.
      5. If I'm right - there are CAM farms, but no one thought of a concept to use the possibilities of the CAM to redo the farm development through all the 7 stages  before.
      6. And yes, there will be a hell of dependencies. If I'm lotting, I do it to see all the nice stuff other people created on my lots. Girafe made some nice vines and from the SFBT team there are too nice vines (which I turned into timed props). So two different vineyards -> two different dependencies (and only for those!).
      7. I also create and redo timed props partially. I don't want to change the farm fields altogether at March 1. Some change later, some change earlier - so I hope the fields become more natural in the seasonal changing and not like triggered by a fertility goddess that snips with her fingers and -bam! - everything is green.
      So all in all - I see a terrible amount of work. And that's why I was disappointed when for almost a week nothing advanced and nothing seemed to work and why I was so glad when you helped me to proceed again.
      As I just started this project - any idears on farming are welcome. Even idears like: I wish there was a cannabis farm (but I think there already is). Or stuff you would like to see on farm lots etc.

• By Jasoncw
      Hammer Data Security provides secure data processing and storage to your sims.
      The IH Missing $$$ Jobs Fix modd corrects a bug in the game's simulation which affects I-HT. x2 versions are included for use with the Industry Doubler. CAM versions are included.
        MaxisNite and DarkNite versions are included. DarkNite requires the Day and Nite Modd.
      Installation Instructions:
      Choose either the DarkNite (DN) or MaxisNite (MN) version. If you're unsure, choose the MN version. Choose either the normal version, x2 jobs version, or CAM version. If you're unsure, choose the normal version. Unzip the .zip and move its contents to Documents/SimCity 4/Plugins. SC4Lot files are descriptively titled. Remove the lot versions which you don't want. Do not remove any .SC4Model files. BAT and modding by Jasoncw
      Trees by Girafe
      Click here to learn about new projects in the works
  • Newest STEX Uploads

• Recent STEX Reviews

• Recent STEX Comments