• Moose

1 Screenshot

About This File

This is the Windows installer. The Mac OSX Version is a little to buggy for release right now, so you can run this in WINE or download this in a NAM package with a wineskin wrapper at http://sc4devotion.com/forums/index.php?topic=17344.msg505849#msg505849 Version 2.1.1 is coming soon and will include newly PIM-X'ed buildings, better installers for both Windows and Mac, and other little changes/bug fixes.

There is a lot of myths about CAM out there. For a beautifully written article about what CAM is really about, see the blog by Tarkus here The CAM (Colossus Addon Mod) – Separating Fact From Fiction. This article also give a great idea on some great starter buildings.

NOTE: If you have merged your SimCity_1.dat file with the original CAM 1.0 file, restore your original SimCity_1.dat file before running this installer.

Welcome to the Colossus Addon Mod (CAM). CAM changes the way cities and regions develop. This is possible through the use of Growth Stages(Read in Basics of the Manual). This causes the game to progress from small stores, single houses and farms/small factories to Commercial Office towers, Residential High Rises and Large industrial factories less rapidly and much more realistically.

The altered growth also allows the player better control their cities through the use of zoning density. If the player wanted a nice rural town, zone only light density, with some medium in larger areas. On the other side, the skyscrapers and other large buildings become more balanced and possible with very developed regions. Use of high density zoning will allow these to grow when ready.

As with any new software or mod, be sure to read the Readme’s and this guide before installing or using the mod. Page 4 of the manual contains the specifics of installation. The manuals can be downloaded or read in both English and Japenese here, http://sc4devotion.com/forums/index.php?topic=17318.0

Description of new Styles

Install Types:

IR Fix Only – Will only Patch the SimCity_1.dat file. This will cause IR to be included in the totals for industry for regular SimCity 4. It will also allow normal industrial connections to work for IR. All other install types include this already. Original SimCity 4 files are backed up in the folder \Documents\SimCity 4\Original SimCity Files\

Extended (InvisiChem) – This is CAM 2.1.0 Standard with extended stage ranges for larger regions. The growth I feel is more balanced and lifelike.

Standard – Just like CAM 1.0 stages, just the curves have been smoothed out and the range slightly extended.

Rural – Stages are set for smaller, rural style growth. Stage 15 can happen, it just will be in very large regions and very infrequently.

Midrise – Stages are set to place an emphasis on growing midrise stages. This is similar to the way European cities grow.

Skyscraper – Stages have been set to allow Skyscrapers to grow quickly, even in one city regions.

All stage settings, except for the Extended version, are the values that were originally developed by RippleJet. All the new CAM 2.1.0 fixes have been included in all versions. The only difference between types is the stages for specific play style.

Feel free to add comments here, the CAM General discussions board at SC4Devotion, or if you start a thread here at Simtropolis, let me know so I can be as helpful as possible. Feel free to discuss any myths about this mod that have circulated in the past. I will be more than happy to share what this mod is truly about, including how it helps regional play.

Cheers everyone, 

InvisiChem.

SC4DatPacker.exe.log

SC4DatPacker.exe.log

User Feedback

Create an account or sign in to leave a review

You need to be a member in order to leave a review

Create an Account  

Register a New Account

Sign In  

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Fantozzi

2 of 2 members found this review helpful 2 / 2 members

This is one of the best mods, maybe amongst the top 20. But I would be curious to know how many people download and install this without knowing what this mod exactly does.

It needs a basic understanding about game mechanics - about growth especially - the mechanics why certain buildings of certain sizes grow and why not and how this mod affects growth by changing the caps for grow levels.

It isn't a desire mod and it doesn't balance desire for you, it only gives more headroom (the possible desire you can create). This means if you haven't the needed desire in your city the skyscrapers won't grow, even with the 'skyscraper option'.

On the other hand - if you downloaded and installed any growable building that has more than 5000 occupants - those buildings will mostly not grow at all without this mod. So it depends on the stats of your buildings if you need this mod, not on how the buildings look like (tall or small). So yes, on certain buildings growth is easier with this mod (or even: possible) and even earlier - but not city 'growth' itself - you still have to do a good major job to have this effect.

The growing curves described above can only work with buildings modded accordingly. Especially on the beginning - on cities up to ~5000 residents (grow stages 1-3), there is almost no difference between CAM or non-CAM development. The differences between the growing curves take effect on the long run.

The CAM modifies the base game's buildings therefore (grow stage and zone density). Accordingly it also changes network capacities and does some fixes . That's why it needs writing access on the base game data and why it changes them and makes a security copy. All this is written in the manual.

But if you don't deal much with the default buildings and instead download many other buildings (which aren't 'camified'), so what you do - you break this part of the mod with custom content again. It can't take effect on custom content if this content isn't modded accordingly.

The initial idear of this mod was to extend growing process, not to speed it up. On the base game, once your city has reached ~50.000 residents, growth is finished, all kind of buildings are available, all caps are exceeded and even if the city gets bigger, there won't appear new buildings once the highest grow stages (8) is reached. So the 'surprises' are finished, visually nothing much new will happen in your city . The idear was to extend this process up to 15 stages - not to play faster but longer and still get some 'surprises' and visual changes in the game.

But this only works with buildings modded accordingly.

So if you use an extended CAM installation and at the same time many custom content buildings that weren't modded for the CAM - what you're doing is making the mod more and more ineffective. If you change the mechanics and this mechanics can't be applied on most of the objects in the game ... it's like a clockwork without index. You won't see much going on.

PlutonianEmpire likes this

Share this review

Link to review
UrbanFoxx

1 of 1 member found this review helpful 1 / 1 member

Great mod other than one little glitch i'm receiving. I have no inCAMpatible buildings and have not gotten even close to my demand cap but am still getting buildings saying "abandoned due to commute time." Is there any way i can fix it or is this a glitch in the mod itself?

Share this review

Link to review
minicar06

When i was installing cam, my anti virus encountered a trojan the trojan is gone but its a great mod to grow cities!

Share this review

Link to review
shawnthrawn

Dude, you are a damn genius! You have managed to fix so many of the balance issues that have been plaguing maxis arithmetic miscalculations and oversights for years when it comes to growth and development on every level. Thank you for all your hard work and dedication. I look forward to the more streamline version 2.1.1. I know you're a very busy man but I was wondering if you had a time in mind for release? And, of course, I must give kudos to RippleJet for the initial work that he started.

Share this review

Link to review
gamzdude

Thanks for reviving this awesome mod :thumb:.

Share this review

Link to review
OcramsRzr

I used to use the CAM extensively. What are the noticeable changes since 1.0?

Share this review

Link to review
Cyclone Boom

Well done, thanks for reviving this innovative SimCity 4 mod! :thumb:

Share this review

Link to review
  • Announcements

• Dirktator

06/30/2017

This month we're hoping for a little bit of a boost this month or next, in addition to covering the regular bills, we could benefit from some hardware upgrades. STEX Collector's Set gifts can now be sent to you via digital download as well as regular mail if you wish! Every donation dollar goes toward keeping Simtropolis online and humming along. Your contribution counts! Hardware Upgrades As our website community software improves with more and more features, and as we bolt on additional features such as chat, the increased load to handle all these new toys is taking the server a bit to task. You may have noticed that we'd been forced to temporarily disable the chat as we worked out allocating resources for more optimal performance. Following this, we've applied a number of 'soft' changes such as caching options and experimented with server configurations (nginx as proxy, for example), so the hardware aspect is also an area we'd like to focus on. The last time we upgraded hardware was back in 2012, prior to the release of SC13. Your contribution means a lot! Your donation will go toward helping us to 1.) migrate to a newer server or 2.) at least get some ram/cpu/storage updates and any other infrastructure hardware or services. Donate and Get a Gift or Donate Any Amount Thanks so much! - Dirktator & The Admins
  • STEX Featured

• Similar Content

• By ScorchedDoter
      When installing CAM SC4DatPacker gets an error. I tried to run installer under admin rights, with the same result.
      P.S. Sorry for my English.
    • By Giovanne
      Hello everyone!

I need some help with my SC4. I recently installed the CAM on my game and something happened to the income of the taxes of my cities: they plummeted to very low levels!
      Now all my cities don't make profit, one of my major cities had 500k of profit before the mod, now it's only 50k. I tried uninstalling the mod but the income still keeps low.

What's going on?
    • By TSM.E3
      So i downloaded the installer of CAM and opened it but it says it cant find the SimCity 4 Installation path, i installed SimCity 4 correctly and the install path is C:\Program Files (x86)\Maxis\SimCity 4 Deluxe, it is installed correctly but it seems like it can't find the installation path, tried reinstalling but the problem still occurs
  • Newest STEX Uploads

• Recent STEX Reviews

• Recent STEX Comments

• @kellydale2003 As I said in the review it's avesome stuff, I would have only one request. Could you next time make a notice on the description, that the growable version is only compatible with CAM by default...  I was wondering why I haven't seen growing your stuffs in my cities (f.e. Linda Swampy), and took an other look to the lot files I see, that some of them is CAMified, and I don't play with CAM... Linda Swampy is a stage 10 I-Ht... So that would be worth a mention I guess for those who doesn't use the CAM as well... Thanks in advance!  - Tyberius
    • Having Trouble with this plugin. I downloaded this and all the dependencies. All I see is parking lot and cars. no Building. What do u think might be causing this?
    • This strategy is really commendable. There have been so many buildings that were 95% ready and had already reached a quality level that left most users with their lower jaw on the desk, and yet they got lost ultimately and never made it to any download section, even though of all people with an interest in that BAT, literally every single person other than the creator would gladly have downloaded it in its current state. You chose to go the other route, and - lo and behold! - people love the building, download it, and are happy. Thank you so much for contributing a superb BAT to the STEX rather than another post to one of the most depressive threads on Simtropolis!
    • It's a landmark in SC4, too, but the scale of Maxis' version is totally off, and the lot is strange as well. Therefore, a custom version is very welcome. I recently compared old and new version side by side, and the progress you have made since then is impressive! Smoother modeling (the inward curves used to look a tad bumpy), better windows, better roof textures and roof junk, better night lights... it's an improvement in all respects!
    • Any way to get this to work on a mac?