SC4Fix: third-party patches for SC4 0.0.3

(4.90)    (29 Reviews)

1 Screenshot

About This File

What does this do

• Resolves a crash-to-desktop when hovering NAM puzzle pieces over transit-enabled lots.
  • Allows other DLLs to load into SC4's memory without a GZCOM framework.

Requirements
This fix is made for versions 640 and 641 of SimCity 4 on Windows. Version 640 is a fully-patched SC4 retail copy, and version 641 is a fully-patched digital distribution version (i.e. Steam, Origin, GOG). Although v641 is supported, it has only been tested on Steam so far. If your version of SC4 is unsupported, an error message will appear with update instructions, and no changes will be made to your game.

Installation
Simply unzip the DLL in your My Documents\SimCity 4\Plugins folder.

To see if SC4Fix is working properly, check the title of your game window. If you are playing in fullscreen mode, alt-tab out and hover over the SimCity taskbar icon. The titlebar will show "SC4Fix (version #)" if loaded properly.

Demonstration

Click here for a video showing the ability to hover puzzle pieces over transit-enabled lots with this DLL.

Development Thread and Source Code

Development Thread
Source Code

Currently investigating other fixes and functionality that might be enabled with this kind of third-party DLL. Please report bugs in the dev thread.

User Feedback

Recommended Comments

6 hours ago, FOSC tule00 said:

Doesn't seem to work. It says my version is unpatched, even after I patched it. I have a retail copy.

Can you go to your SC4 installation directory, go into the Apps folder and check the properties for SimCity 4.exe? Some people have reported this happening, but the game may have patched your DAT files and reported an error patching the EXE itself.

Share this comment

13 hours ago, simmaster07 said:

Can you go to your SC4 installation directory, go into the Apps folder and check the properties for SimCity 4.exe? Some people have reported this happening, but the game may have patched your DAT files and reported an error patching the EXE itself.

I checked and it's still on version 638. Is there a way to fix this?

Share this comment

@FOSC tule00 I'd make sure you're using update 640, since it isn't a patch that's really promoted by Maxis. Should be the "Sim City 4 Buildings Update" on this page.

If you already tried that, it means the patcher doesn't see an exact match between the game EXE and its own list of accepted EXEs. You might need to reinstall from a retail copy. If you still have your CD key, you could also try redeeming a Steam copy.

Share this comment