• Moose

Orion's Belt Modpack | Bigger Cities Made Easy! 2.3.0

(4.00)    (31 Reviews)

15 Screenshots

About This File

Have you wanted an easy way to install Project Orion and all of the mods you need to effectively use it? Have you gotten frustrated trying to make the mods you've wanted since Day 1 work? I know I have!
If you answered yes to one of those questions, you might be in for Orion's Belt, the new way to quickly set up your modded SimCity playing experience!

Introduction
Orion's Belt is an idea I came up with when observing people trying to install the group of mods related to bigger map sizes. for people had trouble with the idea of placing files into a folder. I knew I would get frustrated with trying to get into modded SimCity, so I thought I could do the community a justice and create a simple installer for the newcomers and mod enthusiasts alike.

I've recently tried to make the modpack more and more foolproof against novices.

Note: Scroll down to see how to install.

Mods Included
Project Orion by Xoxide, maintained by Yayie
This provides the basic functionality of bigger map sizes; however, this mod only changes a handful of variables and it doesn't provide the end-all be-all solution for gameplay.

UniDirectional Networks by Xoxide
These are one way roads, something the community has been asking for from day one! Highways and one-way streets are included in UDoNs, and you can unleash your mechanical creativity with traffic rules

Project Akar by Yayie
This is a UI enhancement mod, and it adds some new menus to make space for many of the essential SimCity mods people use.

Project Akar's AkarRoadSets by Yayie
You can how build in the region with AkarRoadSets, since this mod is the foundation of building in the 4K terrain with flying colors.

Project Akar's Project Avalon by Yayie
This supplies the menu strucutres for the ploppable buildings which will allow you to develop RCI outside of the 2K city tile.

Project Akar's All RCIHC Plop by Yayie, formerly Niclistin
This gives the menu items for every building, whether it is a high-density, medium-wealth skyscraper or a low-density, high-wealth mansion in-game in the menus supplied by Avalon.

Parklets by Yayie
You have the ability to make miniature parks, i.e., parklets which act like normal parks, but fit into small places in your city, and add lots of decor and textures you probably haven't noticed before!

Regional Bridges (and some tunnels) by HinataaHyuga
With this mod, you can make regional street and avenue bridges outside the 2K city tile, along with extra rail and streetcar bridge and tunnels as well.

Regional Street Tunnels by HinataaHyuga
These tunnels allow you to build regular streets outside the 2K terrain, and the best part is there are some you can build underwater!

Regional UDoN Bridge and Tunnel by HinataaHyuga
You now have the ability to tunnel above and below the terrain with UDoNs! Go crazy with underground one-way roads and regional one-way bridges!

Regional Coastline Roads by HinataaHyuga
These roads are preset at 7 meters above the water and can be used in the ocean to make your cities, or on the coast for nice coastlines to show everyone!

Regional UDoN Coastline Roads by HinataaHyuga
These do exactly what the regular coastline roads do, except with UDoNs! One-way streets, highways, and ramps are available to use

Pedestrian Path Regional Tunnels by HinataaHyuga
With this mod, and Xoxide's Pedestrian Path mod, you can build tunnels to burrow beneath the surface with sidewalks!

Coastline Pedestrian Paths by HinataaHyuga
You can build sidewalks on the coastline to get your sims walking on beaches! Build amusement parks on the beach or ocean! Go wild with your imagination!

Coastline and Waterway Tools by Xoxide
You now have the ability to define where you can plop ferry terminals and anything that plops on the coast! Redraw the hidden roads ships travel upon and 

Pedestrian Paths by Xoxide
You make make your own Central Park with this mod! Just drag a sidewalk or pedestrian path to make a concrete path sims can walk upon! Plop buildings to make walk-able shopping centers!

Regional Bulldozer by Xoxide
The Almighty Xoxide gave us a God tool like none other: a way to demolish the pre-made Maxis roads! Be careful with this one, for if you bulldoze hidden sinks which produce the agents on the regional freeway, you will crash the game.

How to Use Properly
After successfully installing the modpack, you must do four things in order to play.

• Open a city, save, quit the game, and re-open it.
  • Use regional roads outside the 2K plot
  • Understand that all 2K map resources are stretched out into the 4K map by a 2:1 ratio.
  • Understand that All RCIHC Plop will not function unless if you save, quit, and restart the game.

If you remember these things, you can avoid lots of frustration when playing with your massive 4K city tile. Just know that all of the space you can build on is always in the northwest to the original city plot. The new city tile boundary lines are wrong. Trust the camera when building.

TL;DR: Follow the list, and know that if the camera can't move past a certain part of the map, you can't build there.

How to Install
You don't have to read this, but make sure to read the README.

Windows users, please use the AUTOMATIC version. Mac users, please use the MANUAL version.

Install AUTOMATIC by

1. Launching "Orion's Belt v2.3.0 Installer.exe"
  2. Clicking "Next" until there is a place to put your SimCity install directory.
  3. Putting "C:\Program Files (x86)\Origin Games\SimCity" in the box.
  4. Clicking "Next" then wait for the files to be installed.
  5. Clicking "Next" until you can exit the installer.

Install MANUAL by

1. Extracting the .zip folder named, "Orion's Belt Manual Install" to C:\Program Files (x86)\Origin Games\SimCity

OR

1. Opening the .zip folder, "Orion's Belt Manual Install"
  2. Copying the folders "SimCity" and "SimCityUserData" to C:\Program Files (x86)\Origin Games\SimCity

Acknowledgements
I dually thank Yayie, Xoxide, HyugaHinataa, and all of the other contributors to SUGC and the mods they have produced. We have fostered in a new era of modding in SimCity, and I am proud to make it just a little bit easier for users to enjoy.

I would like to thank Markusloo, known as chappers on Simtropolis, for the photo used on the STEX. That man can sure make a city.

I also thank you, the user, for giving purpose to this simple modpack designed to make your life easier. :)

What's New in Version 2.3.0

Released

• Minor: Improved Installer (Misc changes)
  • Minor: Revised README
  • Minor: Version update for HinataaHyuga's regional UDoN bridges and tunnels.
  • Minor: New city images from Markusloo (chappers)

User Feedback

So this is just an easier way to download Project Orion?

Yes, it's for the people who want a simple way to download Orion and the "basic must-have SimCity mods". This doesn't add anything to the mods, it's just a modpack. I got the permissions from the people who made the mods. Whoops, forgot the acknowledgements.

Share this comment

Is there a mod(coming) for Orion that removes the trees when you put buildings outside of the original 1km square area?

Share this comment

When I place down any highway element they turn into dirt roads and there is no buildings in the All RCI categories, I need help!

Share this comment

I have a doubt. Because the cursor on regional roads is weird? is there any solution?

No; as of now, that is simply how the game works.

Share this comment

Who is this markusloo? This is my city and picture.

Really? Oh sorry, I just had the picture on my hard drive and I remember a friend on Origin showing us this city... Oh wait, it was chappers... Maybe. I think it was on imgur... Well, if it is yours, I'll change the attribution. (Just PM me some proof)

Share this comment

Is there a mod(coming) for Orion that removes the trees when you put buildings outside of the original 1km square area?

No, for right now, there aren't that many active modders to begin with, and that involves messing with the engine.

Share this comment

I can't find any "For SimCityUserData" folder, where is it?

It should be in C:\Program Files (x86)\Origin Games\SimCity\SimCityUserData\Packages.

I gave instructions in the readme.

Share this comment

When I place down any highway element they turn into dirt roads and there is no buildings in the All RCI categories, I need help!

I'm uploading a fix now... Reinstall. :)

Share this comment

Thank you :D it works now!

Share this comment

By the way, is zoning possible outside the 2x2km?

Share this comment

The population is an issue for me.  My city is fairly large, but my population will not go above 300 and all of my industry and commerce die.  I've removed this mod.

Share this comment

Will you consider adding non-RCI buildings to the mod aswell?

I have seen some mods that let you place utilities, schools, police depts and stuff outside the city box...

If anybody know the name of this mod may you please notify me?

Share this comment

By the way, is zoning possible outside the 2x2km?

No, since we don't know how to get that to work yet.

Share this comment

The population is an issue for me.  My city is fairly large, but my population will not go above 300 and all of my industry and commerce die.  I've removed this mod.

1) This isn't a mod; it's a MODPACK.

2) Blaming mods for your own misunderstanding of the game isn't justification for complaining about others' hard work.

3) Define "fairly large". Having a city tile full of dirt shacks and 90% commercial and industrial isn't a good way to be mayor.

4) None of the mods in this MODPACK even mess with population.

5) A lot more miscellaneous stuff which I can't even begin to even respond to.

Share this comment

Will you consider adding non-RCI buildings to the mod aswell?

I have seen some mods that let you place utilities, schools, police depts and stuff outside the city box...

If anybody know the name of this mod may you please notify me?

1) I'm sorry, but this is barebones Orion + Akar + Other neccessities.

2) Orion, the mod which is in this modpack lets you have the functionality in question. It allows anything to be placed in the new 4K box, including service buildings. :)

Share this comment

You shouldn't forget Xoxides one-way UDoN's (version 1.9) which is compatible with everything above, including Akar's menus

Share this comment