• Moose

SimCity 2013 Mods Switch Modders Edition 2.3.5

(4.83)    (6 Reviews)

1 Screenshot

About This File

Handles multiple SimCity games on different paths. Each path holds 10 schemes, 1 each reserved for offline & online, rest 8 your choice. This edition is for the pro. If one has problems figuring any part, or doesn't need such combos of paths+schemes, the previous entry edition is still around....................

Info: applies to people having any \SimCity custom paths.

things like ccleaner, unless explicitly configured not to, would erase sc13ms memory of all your custom paths, forcing you to again have to point to each of them.

User Feedback

If you use more than ONE mod or offline and online mods, you MUST have this before installed; AWESOME tool! I no longer have to have copies of SimCityData folder to switch out between offline mods and online-able-mods, along with a backup of the clean install. As an IT and C#/C coder, I have extensively tested this binary of viruses and ran it in sandbox to see what modifications to registry and/or file system it attempts to make. IT IS CLEAN OF VIRUSES/MALWARE/SPYWARE OR ANY PUP; it didn't even ask for elevation!

Two suggestions or questions for UguuDoki, however:

• The script(s) that some mods require overwriting is
SimCity-Scripts_287520926.package

IF you could have your tool MERGE the changes mods need in this script file so that multiple mods that need this file changed can work together, your utility would be AWESOME!

• Have an option to make a backup of the clean install (as everyone should have done before installing mods) and check for conflicts, which would also be part of the suggestion I just said. For example, if two texture mods would conflict or known issues are reported between two, you could alert the user and have them choose which one they want to keep or let them keep having them conflict. You could possibly talk to simtropolis about modifying their website to keep track of conflicts that your program can have API with, based on checksums for package files. If one checksum has a known conflict with another checksum, inform the user and ask "Do you want to disable mod 1 or mod 2" where mod X is the name of the mod. This database would also allow people to use your program to install the mods for them, as the modder could put in the database (when they upload mods to simtropolis) what files go where and your mod switch program can have built-in gnu 7-zip decompression tool to unzip/untar/unrar and install where modder specified, again merging the script file above using something similiar to "diff".

Share this comment

@oldnavy

sc13ms is but a switch, taking on a role after a mod goes into its folder. prior to that, all is pretty much variable, and there's no plan to get sc13ms involved any earlier.

otherwise, I've been thinking of running a public db, to bridge info between modders and fans. as both numbers and varieties of mods grow, it's a pity that some already got buried deep. perhaps search buttons would help seekers discover them treasures, and be let known of any reported conflicts. I need spare time though.

Share this comment

The first time I tried 2.2 it crashed when I clicked the 'Toggle' button at the bottom.  That button is gone in 2.3, so I just clicked 'Save & Exit' and 2.3 also crashed with an Unhandled Exception::

See the end of this message for details on invoking 
just-in-time (JIT) debugging instead of this dialog box.

************** Exception Text **************
System.IO.IOException: The process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process.
   at System.IO.__Error.WinIOError(Int32 errorCode, String maybeFullPath)
   at System.IO.__Error.WinIOError()
   at System.IO.File.InternalMove(String sourceFileName, String destFileName, Boolean checkHost)
   at System.IO.File.Move(String sourceFileName, String destFileName)
   at SC13MS.sc13ms23.doSave()
   at SC13MS.sc13ms23.ExitB_Click(Object sender, EventArgs e)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.OnClick(EventArgs e)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Button.OnClick(EventArgs e)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Button.OnMouseUp(MouseEventArgs mevent)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WmMouseUp(Message& m, MouseButtons button, Int32 clicks)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.ButtonBase.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Button.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.OnMessage(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)

************** Loaded Assemblies **************
mscorlib
    Assembly Version: 4.0.0.0
    Win32 Version: 4.0.30319.18444 built by: FX451RTMGDR
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.NET/Framework/v4.0.30319/mscorlib.dll
----------------------------------------
SimCity 2013 Mods Switch
    Assembly Version: 2.3.0.0
    Win32 Version: 2.3.0.0
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Users/Andy/AppData/Local/Apps/2.0/EJ8D3YQO.XO9/RXG901L0.ZH1/simc..tion_87be559fc7f9aa3a_0002.0003_f96e7cae011501ab/SimCity%202013%20Mods%20Switch.exe
Microsoft.VisualBasic
    Assembly Version: 10.0.0.0
    Win32 Version: 11.0.50938.18408 built by: FX451RTMGREL
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/Microsoft.VisualBasic/v4.0_10.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/Microsoft.VisualBasic.dll
System
    Win32 Version: 4.0.30319.18408 built by: FX451RTMGREL
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.dll
System.Core
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Core/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Core.dll
System.Windows.Forms
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Windows.Forms/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Windows.Forms.dll
System.Drawing
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Drawing/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Drawing.dll
System.Runtime.Remoting
    Win32 Version: 4.0.30319.34108 built by: FX45W81RTMGDR
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Runtime.Remoting/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Runtime.Remoting.dll
System.Data
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_32/System.Data/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Data.dll
System.Xml
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Xml/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Xml.dll
System.Configuration
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Configuration/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Configuration.dll
System.Numerics
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Numerics/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Numerics.dll
Accessibility
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/Accessibility/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/Accessibility.dll

************** JIT Debugging **************
To enable just-in-time (JIT) debugging, the .config file for this
application or computer (machine.config) must have the
jitDebugging value set in the system.windows.forms section.
The application must also be compiled with debugging
enabled.

For example:

<configuration>
    <system.windows.forms jitDebugging="true" />
</configuration>

When JIT debugging is enabled, any unhandled exception
will be sent to the JIT debugger registered on the computer
rather than be handled by this dialog box.

Share this comment

@Snacko
that's because your game was running when you clicked save & exit.
i'll make sure this exception will be handled in the next update.
thanks for reporting.

Share this comment

Cannot get app to work. Doesn't load any of the mods selected. Path correct for application and xml created. All the mods selected have '1100' added to the file extension and the mods unselected have '1000'. The simpler version of the tool works fine.

Share this comment

@trixsterdo

make sure you've switched to your intending scheme, by clicking the corresponding # button at the bottom of the scheme, before saving.
also have a look at this info above the save buttons... Next Launch #? ModPackages Online/Offline Loading=?
the orange/green/gray coloring of the mod packages is a good visual indicator of what you have chosen to load or not.

looks like you have unintentionally switched to an empty scheme, one that has no mod checked.
the simplier version has only a single scheme so you have no chance of choosing an empty scheme unless explicitly unchecking all.

Share this comment

I do have a scheme selected as the info above the save button states 'Next Launch 0, Mod Packages Offline Loading=61. This is what I wanted.

Share this comment

Does this tool 'know' which mods work online or offline, or do you have to tell it?

It seemed to know that the 4 mods I have installed are offline since it checked that box by default...

Share this comment

Works fine now since I downloaded the v. 2.3.2.  Don't whether it's a result of your changes or just coincidence. Thanks anyway. Great tool. Any chance of widening the Mod Name column because the new mod names are much longer and cannot read which mod is which?

Share this comment

@trixsterdo
you helped me find a bug, leading to 2.3.2, thank you!
some people complained about the ui being too wide since their resolution is kind of antiquity.
at this time, mouse hovering on package yields full name. I would also suggest you make some use of the scribble column.
next update, I shall try to squeeze some decorative width from elsewhere for the package name.

@Snacko
sc13ms wouldn't actually know a package's capability. the checked/unchecked by default is the result of this...
your act of placing a package into its folder, implies to sc13ms that it is at least offline capable, and you intend to have it loaded.
however, being unsure whether the package is online capable, to safeguard your online game, sc13ms could only assume that it isn't.

from this point, you are in command, package by package, via the checkboxes.

afterwards, sc13ms would try to remember what you checked or unchecked of a particular package.
even if the package is physically removed, then returned later, sc13ms would try to restore your previous settings on it.

Share this comment

hope you or someone else starts looking at a download and version control manager and helps us with file names and structures

Share this comment

Installed 2.3.3 and it's perfect. I can see the full name now. Much easier than hovering over the name. Thanks for a great job well done.

Share this comment

When I attempted to install the base version of your mod switcher, it said that it could not find the simcity data folder.  I verified that there is no conflicting folder on the C drive and that my origin games folder on my E drive has full access set for everyone.  I then tried to install the modders version and got this message: Failed to access your previously specified folder C:\Program Files\Origin\Games\SimCity or subfolders.

I never specified anything and there is no folder with 'Origin' in the name anywhere on the C drive.

I pointed the program to my SimCity folder path, which is E:\Program Files\Origin Games\SimCity.  I then got an unhandled exception in .net, operator '=' is not defined for type 'DBNull' and string.  I'll paste the details below.  

I was able to get it working by creating a junction from C:\Program Files\Origin\Games to E:\Program Files\Origin Games

System.InvalidCastException: Operator '=' is not defined for type 'DBNull' and string "E:\Program Files\Origin Games\Si".
   at Microsoft.VisualBasic.CompilerServices.Operators.ConditionalCompareObjectEqual(Object Left, Object Right, Boolean TextCompare)
   at sc13ms23.sc13ms23.getPathsDS()
   at sc13ms23.sc13ms23.sc13ms23_Load(Object sender, EventArgs e)
   at System.EventHandler.Invoke(Object sender, EventArgs e)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Form.OnLoad(EventArgs e)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Form.OnCreateControl()
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.CreateControl(Boolean fIgnoreVisible)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.CreateControl()
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WmShowWindow(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.ScrollableControl.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.ContainerControl.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Form.WmShowWindow(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Form.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.OnMessage(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)

************** Loaded Assemblies **************
mscorlib
    Win32 Version: 4.0.30319.18051 built by: FX45RTMGDR
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.NET/Framework/v4.0.30319/mscorlib.dll
SimCity 2013 Mods Switch
    Assembly Version: 2.3.0.0
    Win32 Version: 2.3.0.0
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Users/owner/AppData/Local/Apps/2.0/G217V2R7.OMV/EVDVAMBE.3P5/simc..tion_87be559fc7f9aa3a_0002.0003_3930b9e1968f4323/SimCity%202013%20Mods%20Switch.exe
Microsoft.VisualBasic
    Assembly Version: 10.0.0.0
    Win32 Version: 11.0.50709.17929 built by: FX45RTMREL
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/Microsoft.VisualBasic/v4.0_10.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/Microsoft.VisualBasic.dll
System.Windows.Forms
    Win32 Version: 4.0.30319.18046 built by: FX45RTMGDR
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Windows.Forms/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Windows.Forms.dll
System.Drawing
    Win32 Version: 4.0.30319.18022 built by: FX45RTMGDR
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Drawing/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Drawing.dll
System
    Win32 Version: 4.0.30319.18045 built by: FX45RTMGDR
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.dll
System.Runtime.Remoting
    Win32 Version: 4.0.30319.17929 built by: FX45RTMREL
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Runtime.Remoting/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Runtime.Remoting.dll
System.Data
    Win32 Version: 4.0.30319.18046 built by: FX45RTMGDR
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_32/System.Data/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Data.dll
System.Core
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Core/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Core.dll
System.Xml
    Win32 Version: 4.0.30319.18058 built by: FX45RTMGDR
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Xml/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Xml.dll
System.Configuration
    Win32 Version: 4.0.30319.18058 built by: FX45RTMGDR
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Configuration/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Configuration.dll
System.Numerics
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Numerics/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Numerics.dll

Share this comment

@brussakoff

2.2.x entry edition is terribly dumb, and a nonstarter if...
- any of these 'parent' folders does exist...
- - c:\program files\origin games
- - c:\program files\electronic arts
- - c:\program files\origin\games
- - c:\program files (x86)\origin games
- - c:\program files (x86)\electronic arts
- - c:\program files (x86)\origin\games
- - (actually %programfiles% or %programfiles(x86)% which by default is in c drive unless customized)
- but without any of these 'child' folders therein...
- - - \simcity
- - - \simcity\simcitydata
- - - \simcity\simcityuserdata\ecogame
- - - \simcity\simcityuserdata\packages
in such scenario, there are 2 options to make 2.2.x work...
- either return all 'child' folders home to the 'parent' folder in C, let 2.2.x automatically find them.
- or remove/rename the 'parent' folder in C, all 'child' folders stay in E drive in your case, and point to e:\program files\origin games when asked.

2.3.x modders edition is less dumb, and not handicapped by above scenario.
your report helped fix a bug. thank you!
go try updated revision 2.3.5, in your case simply point to e:\program files\origin games\simcity when asked.
anything weird please let me know again.

Share this comment