• Moose

Improved Railroad and Streetcar tracks

(4.39)    (23 Reviews)

7 Screenshots

About This File

This modification replaces original textures of SC2013 railways and streetcar tracks to textures with higher resolution. New diffuse, normal and specular maps were drawn from scratch. Grain size on textures have the correct ratio. 

I made this mod for myself, it's not the final version and it's very far from what I want to see in the result. But with this mod you will get more detailed texture for the railways and will be able to make more realistic screenshots. 

Currently I'm creating 3d-models for the railroad tracks. But at this moment SimCityPak refuses to work with export original tracks. As a result, I can't get the dimensions and parameters of the original model. I'll wait for new versions.

Known glitches: 

- One side of the double-track railway darker than the other. This is noticeable in the daytime.

Problem in the original 3D-model (not yet possible to replace it). It's UV-shape are mirrored for the second railway path. Developers in a hurry when injected transport to the game.

- When you connect your railroad to region railway intersection place appears as streetcar tracks.

This is a mistake of the original game. Requires fix.

User Feedback

I like them actually a lot but it seems like the gravel ones get lost due to the nature of the game.  You may want to add a little more shine to the metal and give it a little more contrast.

to bad they can't really be raised up more from the gravel

the track just seems to be getting lost in the gravel to me .. but again I do like them a lot..

course that may also be why maxis chose white rocks as if it was clean track not real track.

Edit: One thing I wish the community could do would be make realistic rail in the game with full loops and junctions etc.  However without core changes teleportation will always be used rather than making full loops or trips along rail.

chio3846 likes this

Share this comment

I really like the higher quality textures, however I agree with xoxide about the rails. I too think the rails should have more of a shine on them ( the only exception would be if it was not to be used as a main line - is it possible to have two separate textures for the track? (one for the mainlines, and the other for the secondary lines) - just a thought.

(also I wonder if it is possible to design a second texture (with concrete railroad ties, instead of the wooden ones) in case someone wants to interchange the designs (depending on the location(s).

Overall though, this looks really good though.

:)

Share this comment

I like them actually a lot but it seems like the gravel ones get lost due to the nature of the game.  You may want to add a little more shine to the metal and give it a little more contrast.

to bad they can't really be raised up more from the gravel

the track just seems to be getting lost in the gravel to me .. but again I do like them a lot..

course that may also be why maxis chose white rocks as if it was clean track not real track.

Edit: One thing I wish the community could do would be make realistic rail in the game with full loops and junctions etc.  However without core changes teleportation will always be used rather than making full loops or trips along rail.

agree..

Share this comment

@jim I do not think it is possible the game doesn't have main or aux lines.  As is many of us have tried to think of ways to make train yards using what we have.  We think offline we could make Train Decorations but they for most part would be non functional.

Heck we have yet to really figure out animations to even add rail road crossings that function like real ones even if they were to just BLINK let alone crossing gates.

but as I wrote in private.. and public I like the new textures and its nice to see someone give rail more TLC.  Many of us are train and road people haha.

Share this comment

Thank you for your feedback. Agrees with your opinion. To get a good quality for the railroad I need to change at least the existing tiles of railway. I want to get the opportunity to import my model in the game. But now it's not yet possible particular for the railroad (SimCityPak 0.3.1.0). At result my mesh has the wrong size. To get 1:1 size I need to export the Maxis mesh to Maya.

What I want to get with textures only and extra low polycount:

2s6aupu.jpg

This is possible in the SC2013 with new 3D mesh only (texture pack: dif+nm+spec 512x512 for all railway tiles).

xoxide likes this

Share this comment

@captain the person whom could answer your question would have been ryan and Christian at maxis whom were involved in much of the rail and graphics mapping.

if you post a message on reddit to @ryani he may see it and be able to help you with your specific question on bmps and colors to the pallets and how to make what your trying to do work better from your other post.

your above picture has white rocks with some oiling obviously on the timbers which are more blackened rust on the untouched metal sides giving a reflective brown to the soil and timbers.

but those have the advantage of being true 3D shapes vs the limitations you are faced in the game being more of just a flat texture.  Idea would be maybe a texture and an approach maybe like oppie with the overhead wires? add a non used 3D model to the shape but then you will get into all sorts of weirdness on the curves and blends most likely.

Not sure how to approach that myself.  I have 3DS 2015 and found that I can't export correctly to work with oppies practices whom is using 3DS 2013.  We need more tool sets :(

Jeff

zoomerpsu likes this

Share this comment

The thing is that I have some problems with communication due to insufficient knowledge of English. And in such technical things I would like to offer support by 3D-models and textures, but for import/export I would be pleased to accept help from an experienced person if it is indeed possible.

Share this comment

pvt sent to maxis on subject to see if I can get an answer to help anyone interested pointed in the direction needed on some of the above questions mentioned

Captain likes this

Share this comment

I love the textures of this rail gives a more realistic feel than the maxis textures. but I would like to see on day animated railway crossing gates instead of traffic lights doesn't have the realistic feeling needed. But love it.

Share this comment

"improvement" - talk about the resolution and texture quality. Visually, I could not obtain the desired result without changing the 3D-model. 

Old:

sno12v.jpg

New:

t4vlw0.jpg

Share this comment

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an Account  

Register a New Account

Sign In  

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Announcements

• Dirktator

06/20/2017

This month we're hoping for a little bit of a boost this month or next, in addition to covering the regular bills, we'd love to be able to do some hardware upgrades. STEX Collector's Set gifts can now be sent to you via digital download as well as regular mail if you wish! Every donation dollar goes toward keeping Simtropolis online and humming along. Your contribution is so meaningful, every dollar counts! Hardware Upgrades We've received a recommendation to consider some hardware upgrades to our ageing server. As our website community software improves with more and more features, and as we bolt on additional features such as chat, the increased load to handle all these new toys is taking the server a bit to task. You may have noticed that we'd been forced to temporarily disable the chat as we worked out allocating resources for more optimal performance. Following this, we've applied a number of 'soft' changes such as caching options and experimented with server configurations (nginx as proxy, for example), so the hardware aspect is also an area we'd like to focus on. The last time we upgraded hardware was back in 2012, prior to the release of SC13. Your contribution means a lot! Your donation will go toward helping us to 1.) migrate to a newer server or 2.) at least get some ram/cpu/storage updates and any other infrastructure hardware or services. Donate and Get a Gift or Donate Any Amount Thanks so much! - Dirktator & The Admins
  • STEX Featured

• Similar Content

• By Miccrosshill
      Hi there,

i have a hard time with texturing my models .. after releasing the first ones i checked some other on the workshop and i was surprised how small they are (filesize). My models are smaller one (3*4) and when i switch to 1024*1024 for the texture - i got so blurry textures ingame that i want them to be seen.
      I tried to make the uv better for my models (resize them that mainstructures got the most part) - i looked for better textures - but i am not capable to get a satisfactory result.
      maybe some of you can give me some help to get better at texturing without blowing the filesize for each Model ~ 10MB.

Thats an actual model i working at with 1024*1024 texture:

the same model with a 2048*2048 texture :

As you can see they detail n the second is so much higher and on the first one it is just one "blurr".
      This is my uv-map :

i resized all important big areas to 1.5 - so details would be better - but i have not really luck with that.

I am really stuck at this moment .. having 3 models ready to release but they look only good with 2048² textures and have a filesize about 10 MB - when i check Jz´s Rusty Warehouse 2 - it has only 2.8 MB - shows me that i am doing something wrong.

thanks for any help/hint/suggetsion and sorry for opening a new thread for this

mic

• By AmiPolizeiFunk
      Hi guys. I'm wondering how my assets can optimize memory usage. How do I have 4-5 buildings share the same texture map set? And is it the same process with multiple props?

Thanks.
    • By hakajo98
      Hey there
      I live in Switzerland, and here (and some other cities around the world) the crosswalks are yellow/orange. I was wondering if it is possible to add this to cities skylines? I don't really have a lot of experience with modding... 
      - hakajo98
    • By CT14
      Welcome to the development thread for CT14 lots and BAT. Here's a quick list of current releases so you don't have to scroll through the thread to find them all:
      North American Freight Sidings
      Llama Terminal Company
      SABER LA River
      Troy Gasholder Building
      FAB Diagonal Industrials

Lowrider Props
      In-N-Out Lowrider Show
      North American Freight Sidings original first post:
      Inspired by the lack of existing lots representing protypical North American freight railroad sidings, I've created a system of lots that can be used to create eye-candy rail sidings. They are transit-enabled for appearance. I have been encouraged to share my progress in a dedicated thread by helpful feedback in the Show Us Your Railroads general thread, especially from SimCoug, T-Wrecks, raynev1. And the whole thing wouldn't exist without the Jestarr props.

Features:
      18 ploppable lots for different railcar types on double track rail Transit enabled connections to make the lots fit in seamlessly anywhere Three prop families to provide a variety from Jestarr's boxcars, intermodal and general merchandise freight ("Junkers") RRW compatibility Known issues:
      Transparent texture bug as described here http://community.simtropolis.com/forums/topic/42425-transparent-texture-issue/ The lots need custom icons created and added, through Reader as described here: http://www.wiki.sc4devotion.com/index.php?title=Tutorial:Inserting_a_custom_menu_icon_with_the_Ilive_Reader Future development ideas:
      Single Track Rail lots don't match exactly when using textures extracted from the RAM .dat, and I probably need permission to use them separately in any case. So, STR sidings may be a separate release at some point. Four-track lots would be prototypical for large yard trackage, but don't exist in RRW. Custom textures might allow some eye-candy four-track lots in future, this would resemble an updated subset of NCD. Dependencies:
      BSCMegaProps JES Vol01 (v1.0) - http://sc4devotion.com/csxlex/lex_filedesc.php?lotGET=342 For RRW, you need the NAM with RRW enabled. Download:
      Please report bugs here. Thanks!
    • By RandyE
      These textures are freely useable and distributable for any SC4 user created content, if they are used in lot-making it is better to refer to them as a dependency and link back to this file to keep file space on the STEX free of mulitiple repeated content.  The texture data file is located in the FOLDER: Elements Textures DAT, 3 sample lots are in the FOLDER: Elements Sample Lots, and 1 7x8 test lot showing all 55 textures  is now included in the FOLDER:  Test Lot 7x8 Park. Also included are the 2 previews showing all the textures and this text in readme.txt and HTML.
      The texture '.dat' file size is 498K with 55 textures.  This volume is called 'Elements', including diagonal, broken, patterned and squared stone, dirt, grass, metal, pavement, sand, water and wood.  Also included are 3 sample lots found in the Parks Menu, each have been made functional for radical purposes of helping with start-up cash, reducing pollution and garbage, and recovery from nuclear meltdown.
      DAT FILE INCLUDED:
      FOLDER: Elements Textures DAT
      FILE: SC4_BaseTextures_Vol01_1_Elements.dat
      FOLDER: Test Lot 7x8 Park
      FILE: A0A_Base_Textures_Vol01_Elements_55_Test.SC4Lot
      This is one lot with all 55 textures in a 7x8 grid.  This lot may be used to preview the textures in-game, then delete. 
      FOLDER: Elements Sample Lots
      ---------------------------------------------
      1.) Subfolder: Patterned Grass (Anti Pollution)
      Menu description: Base Textures Elements (Anti-Pollution)
      Vol. 1: Grass Texture.  This lot is a sample which also provides some radical relief from pollution and garbage.
      Vol. 1: Elements, Use this lot as a registration mark for color and contrast.   In RGB, Red (255,0,0), Green (0, 255, 0), Blue (0, 0, 255), and Gray 50% (127, 127, 127).  This lot will radically decrease radiation.  Use this lot in the event of a nuclear power plant meltdown.  When you plop this lot you will see the Maxis 'Sparkles of Purification'.
      Vol. 1: Elements. 55 Textures: Stone, Dirt, Grass, Metal, Pavement, Sand, Water, Wood.   Use Lot Editor to see all the textures. This lot will radically increase your income by 50,000 Simoleons a month,  Use this lot to help get your city started, then bulldoze it.   When you plop this lot it will appear as a 'Business Deal' in your budget panel.

The texture images are derivatives of images from a variety of commonly, freely shared sources, hand re-worked for use with SC4.  The design of the textures leans toward lower contrast, saturation and brightness as more usual in realism, and for dimmer screens.  
      If using them for creating and distributing SC4 lots the '.FSH' file may be extracted and included as a '.DAT', but don't re-distribute changed associations between the image and the ID (instance) as that could impact another user of the file.  No crediting is required, but no claim of original artwork should be made if redistributing them with SC4 lots.
      The Texture ID Range was assigned by the BSC Texture Index at SC4 Devotion.  http://sc4devotion.com/forums/index.php?topic=2101.0  To redistribute variations of the textures or to make your own, request and use a unique personal Texture ID Range at SC4D.
      ---/---
  • Newest STEX Uploads

• Recent STEX Reviews

• Recent STEX Comments

• I'm still working on the Maxis Vanilla tilesets presentation, but yeah its endless how many amazing artists have contributed to the SC4 repository over the past 14 years.  The problem with the tilesets and with RCI is that there's too much repetition.   I'm going to use for the first time a Maxis blocker that will eliminate all vanilla repetition and reveal whatever user created programming defines.  However, my project is not specific to agriculture.   We'll get back to that later.
    • @RandyE Thanks! I grabbed that one too. I'm not ready yet to kill them all, but I do want other stage 3 farm buildings to compete with Pedriana. Ideally I'd like to find a few more. In the meantime I'm now on a downloading frenzy getting all of @dk1's stuff. Their simple elegance (and the convenience of no dependencies) makes them ideal for mixing in with my otherwise nearly plain vanilla Maxis content.
    • @CorinaMarie It works for me !!  
    • @Bipin Hi! Could you update the dependency links on this upload (and any other uploads of yours, which had dependencies on the sadly-no-existing-anymore SIMPEG page)? Thanks in advance! - Tyberius