• Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter Log In with Steam Log In with Google      Sign In   
  • Create Account

Submitter

File Information

• Submitted: Jul 22, 2013 - 08:35 PM
  • Last Updated: Apr 08, 2014 - 12:57 PM
  • File Size: 261bytes
  • Views: 23524
  • Downloads: 1,867
  • File Descriptor: Programs

Previous Versions

• 08 Apr 2014 Download SimCity 4 Buddy 0.0.0.19 ALPHA
  • 08 Apr 2014 Download SimCity 4 Buddy 0.0.0.18 ALPHA
  • 26 Aug 2013 Download SimCity 4 Buddy 0.0.0.17 ALPHA
  • 03 Aug 2013 Download SimCity 4 Buddy 0.0.0.16 ALPHA

Download SimCity 4 Buddy 0.0.0.20 ALPHA

* * * * * 29 Votes
plugin manager autosave launcher dependency

Screenshots

Sorry if the frequent updates annoy you people. Now I actually have some time to work on this project again :D

Note: The remote features such as dependency check and auto identification of newly installed plugins is temporarily disabled because I'm in the process of redesigning the server. The installer and general plugin manager still works though.

The SimCity 4 Buddy application aims to make life a little easier for SimCity 4 players out there.

NOTE THAT THIS IS AN ALPHA RELEASE (Less stable and more buggy than a beta release)
THIS DOWNLOAD IS CURRENTLY ONLY MENT FOR TESTING PURPOSES.
DO NOT USE THIS PROGRAM WITHOUT MAKING BACKUPS OF THE USER FOLDERS YOU ADD TO THE PROGRAM! (The one in the games folder (i.e. c:\program files (x86)\simcity 4\) and the default user folder in your documents folder are added as default when you launch the program for the first time)

At the moment this download should be considered a TEST product. Do NOT download this and expect a fully functional tool with zero bugs. I have tried to break the program in every way I could imagine to see if it broke but I may have overlooked something. Do not come here and start crying if your downloads and cities are gone all of a sudden. You have been warned (I have not found any bugs or recall any part of the code that should mess up the content of the user folder but then again nobody is perfect).

General information for all testers!
The current version of this program is an open test. Due to the nature of this test a few limitations and processes apply:

• The program is only intended for testers for the moment. Do not use this on your main plugin folders
  • The database will reset for each release as long as the program is in the alpha stage (For about another month or so). This means that occationally all your defined user folders and installed plugins are gone from the program (but not from the computer). Re-add and scan.
  • When you test the program, please fill out the feedback form linked in the table of contents below

Now that that is out of the way, what does this program do?

Features
It has multiple purposes. This early version has the following features:

• Manage your user folders through a friendly user interface without having to mess around with folders and files manually.
  • Let SimCity 4 Buddy install the plugins for you (dat, rar or zip files. Multi-volume rar archives (zzz.part1.rar, zzz.part2.rar)
  • Launch the game with a specific user folder (i.e. a Paris region, SimMars, Futuristic etc.)
  • Handle launcher command line switches through a user interface (stuff like no intro, no audio, 1 cpu, resolution, window mode etc.)
  • Let SimCity 4 Buddy save your game at regular intervals
  • Let SimCity 4 Buddy identify your plugins against the central database so you can easily manage your plugins onwards (semi implemented in this version - The central database only has about 10 plugins stored but I will add more plugins continuously - Every plugin I install will be added and I just reinstalled my game and have about -2500 plugins (6.7GB) to install - which is the reason why I started writing this application in the first place. Stuff is comming!)
  • Let SimCity 4 Buddy check if you are missing any dependencies (for plugins known to the central database -See above! The database does not contain a lot of entries so far as this is still in a test phase)

For CUSTOM CONTENT creators there are some additional features:

• Create an author user and add your usernames from various sites (such as simtropolis or sc4devotion) and...
  • Upload information on your plugins to the database such as the name of the plugin, a description, a download link, dependency information and the name of the included files.

Check out the support thread below to see what features are to be implemented in the future (the dependencies stuff is quite nifty if I may say so myself)

Guides, support, bugs and feedback should be posted in this thread --> http://community.simtropolis.com/topic/58814-the-simcity-4-buddy-project/

Technical information
The file in this download is only a pointer to the download location. The site also states the system requirements for this application.
Although this program is written for Windows machines you should be able to make it work on both Linux and OSX by using Mono. I have not tested this myself but if anyone wants to try it out please go ahead and send me any feedback you may have.

What's New in Version 0.0.0.20 ALPHA (See full changelog)

• Bugfix: Application now actually saves info on newly installed plugins.

Screenshots

Screenshots Screenshots Screenshots

I'm hesitant. It sounds really good but I'll wait for some more reviews. 

I see, so it's kind of like a Nexus Mod Manager in the sense that it installs files for you. That's pretty cool. I was wondering if someone was going to release something like this. It'll certainly make things easier for players new to mods.

I see, so it's kind of like a Nexus Mod Manager in the sense that it installs files for you. That's pretty cool. I was wondering if someone was going to release something like this. It'll certainly make things easier for players new to mods.

Yes that is one of the features but the main reason I created this tool was to handle dependencies (which I am working on implementing in the next version). The idea is that when you install a plugin the app will check the central database and make sure you have the required dependencies installed or warn you about missing dependencies and giving you the links for the downloads. But stay tuned.

I really hope this will help new players or players who want to play with custom content but find the whole process too scary/advanced/cumbersome.

it looks fantastic!!!...   Will it have an audit feature for already installed plugins?  ,,,,,check for missing dependencies in a current plugin library? 

it looks fantastic!!!...   Will it have an audit feature for already installed plugins?  ,,,,,check for missing dependencies in a current plugin library? 

Thank you!

Version 0.0.0.1 have a feature where you can scan for manually added files so you can add your already installed plugins (although you will have to select the files and group them manually)

The next version will have some auto-detection function where you just click scan and then it finds whatever it can recognize so you only have to manually group the files it does not recognize

The dependency checker will also be featured in the next version and yes it will work for already installed files.

I'll keep an eye on this. It looks very interesting. The autosave feature is nice since I forget things like that. Best of luck with developing!

Oh heck yes, I'm going to load that test. dependencies have been driving me crazy for some time. Count me in!

Thank you!

Version 0.0.0.1 have a feature where you can scan for manually added files so you can add your already installed plugins (although you will have to select the files and group them manually)

The next version will have some auto-detection function where you just click scan and then it finds whatever it can recognize so you only have to manually group the files it does not recognize

The dependency checker will also be featured in the next version and yes it will work for already installed files.

Sounds like it'll be worth it's weight in gold!! 

Autosave!!!??? There is still hope left for humanity!

What a cool program! Hope development continues smoothly

thank you this is very impressive technically and also in helping less experienced players get more from the game

Awesome!

Perfect ! If it solves the management of Mod files and dependencies along with AutoSave feature.... You are superb !!

sounds awesome once its working, will it work for mac?

sounds awesome once its working, will it work for mac?

I do not have a mac so I cannot test this myself. I think it will work if you run it using "Mono".

Looks promising! :)

I will download it when it's ready, or at least after it's tested thoroughly.

I can't run the program as Admin? If i rightclick the program it doesn't have the button for Running As Admin :(?

I can't run the program as Admin? If i rightclick the program it doesn't have the button for Running As Admin :(?

I have resolved this issue in version 0.0.0.7. The program should auto-update the next time you start it.

You can check what version you are running in the "about" window located in the help menu.

If you do not have the help menu, that means you are running a version prior to 0.0.0.3. In this case uninstall the program and redownload and install it.

Nicely Done ^_^

please please please add an option to save it to a different folder!!! I'm unable to install because my c drive is full!

205 user(s) are online ...

77 members, 124 guests, 0 anonymous users

lambz, richnrich, Ryuk96, arcadeportal32, zlotka, Google (4), murdock8, Weazel646, the_real_simmer_3, hobbit920, Kaosdestroyer, Juggernaut499, rayrin01, bitsaul, clcharle, boby_malone, mstrk512, jhip20, rsc204, Dunball, Humannoyd, Evilpandabear41, gymmaster, swews, Juan Kmilo, Ln X, yonix, rollfizzlebeef83, ykrh1998, shyboy21ie, MayorTim, Dirktator, stockslips, daniel98, cam122286, Simbabe54, Cityhunter123, 14 Innocent Sims, KevcPecv, sucram17, samuelbautista, Dinocrates, spiderdot, jacko1144, graciannewest, mark1999, iYuttho, Goller, rysmit789, theDunk33, chflyman, henrys1996, anjoti, The Chap of Aus, whiskeysix33, cs4berlin, evivas, interaxion, ByteCat, nirasa, trixsterdo, Khaul81, MIKWOL, dannyhighrise, Charls Gardes, SC4norreys, Simoncity, jasonleger48ya, Teo 622, Justin Galle, JL15219, Elitejohnson, hatapon99, HyugaHinata, Netuno, patchallison21, simlover123, Trylk255