View other files from this member
- Submitted: Jul 22, 2013 - 08:35 PM
- Last Updated: Aug 26, 2013 - 03:07 PM
- File Size: 261bytes
- Views: 20158
- Downloads: 1,552
- File Descriptor: Programs
This is the very first release of the SimCity 4 Buddy application that aims to make life a little easier for SimCity 4 players out there.
NOTE THAT THIS IS AN ALPHA RELEASE (Less stable and more buggy than a beta release)
THIS DOWNLOAD IS CURRENTLY ONLY MENT FOR TESTING PURPOSES.
DO NOT USE THIS PROGRAM WITHOUT MAKING BACKUPS OF THE USER FOLDERS YOU ADD TO THE PROGRAM! (The one in the games folder (i.e. c:\program files (x86)\simcity 4\) and the default user folder in your documents folder are added as default when you launch the program for the first time)
At the moment this download should be considered a TEST product. Do NOT download this and expect a fully functional tool with zero bugs. I have tried to break the program in every way I could imagine to see if it broke but I may have overlooked something. Do not come here and start crying if your downloads and cities are gone all of a sudden. You have been warned (I have not found any bugs or recall any part of the code that should mess up the content of the user folder but then again nobody is perfect).
General information for all testers!
The current version of this program is an open test. Due to the nature of this test a few limitations and processes apply:
- The program is only intended for testers for the moment. Do not use this on your main plugin folders
- The database will reset for each release as long as the program is in the alpha stage (For about another month or so). This means that occationally all your defined user folders and installed plugins are gone from the program (but not from the computer). Re-add and scan.
- When you test the program, please fill out the feedback form linked in the table of contents below
* * *
Now that that is out of the way, what does this program do?
It has multiple purposes. This early version has the following features:
- Manage your user folders through a friendly user interface without having to mess around with folders and files manually.
- Let SimCity 4 Buddy install the plugins for you (dat, rar or zip files. Multi-volume rar archives (zzz.part1.rar, zzz.part2.rar)
- Launch the game with a specific user folder (i.e. a Paris region, SimMars, Futuristic etc.)
- Handle launcher command line switches through a user interface (stuff like no intro, no audio, 1 cpu, resolution, window mode etc.)
- Let SimCity 4 Buddy save your game at regular intervals
- Let SimCity 4 Buddy identify your plugins against the central database so you can easily manage your plugins onwards (semi implemented in this version - The central database only has about 10 plugins stored but I will add more plugins continuously - Every plugin I install will be added and I just reinstalled my game and have about -2500 plugins (6.7GB) to install - which is the reason why I started writing this application in the first place. Stuff is comming!)
- Let SimCity 4 Buddy check if you are missing any dependencies (for plugins known to the central database -See above! The database does not contain a lot of entries so far as this is still in a test phase)
For CUSTOM CONTENT creators there are some additional features:
- Create an author user and add your usernames from various sites (such as simtropolis or sc4devotion) and...
- Upload information on your plugins to the database such as the name of the plugin, a description, a download link, dependency information and the name of the included files.
Check out the support thread below to see what features are to be implemented in the future (the dependencies stuff is quite nifty if I may say so myself)
Guides, support, bugs and feedback should be posted in this thread --> http://community.simtropolis.com/topic/58814-the-simcity-4-buddy-project/
* * *
The file in this download is only a pointer to the download location. The site also states the system requirements for this application.
Although this program is written for Windows machines you should be able to make it work on both Linux and OSX by using Mono. I have not tested this myself but if anyone wants to try it out please go ahead and send me any feedback you may have.
What's New in Version 0.0.0.17 ALPHA (See full changelog)
- Feature: You can now enable or disable the dialog that pops up after an install to ask for more info for unknown plugins (see the settings panel)
- Feature: After installing plugins the program now asks if you want to scan and remove non-plugin files (can be disabled in the settings panel)
- Feature: You can make buddy auto-run installers in plugins without asking you to run it first (can be enabled in the settings panel)
- Bugfix: Fixed a lot of issues with the way Buddy handles command line arguments which should give a better user experience.
- Bugfix: Added .sav files and .dll files to the list of recognized plugin files.
- Bugfix: The installer now moves all files (except for exe files) to the plugin folder during an install.
- Bugfix: The "Yes" button is now selected by default when asking if you want to install the selected plugins.
- Bugfix: Cleanitol and remove lists are now filtered out from the list of readme files.
- Bugfix: Added more logging of the autosave and game launching functionality to help with errors and debugging.
- Bugfix: Asking for a dependency scan no longer shows up if you do not have an internet connection
- Bugfix: Added better network detection so users who have a network bridge set up on their computer should now appear offline when they are offline.
- Bugfix: Tools that require an internet connection are now disabled if no internet connection is detected.
- Bugfix: Changed log configuration to one log pr. day in stead of one log pr. run of the program.
- Bugfix: Plugin matcher will now not run when you are offline.
- 18,188 Total Files
- 20 Total Categories
- 2,540 Total Authors
- 91,758,327 Total Downloads
- My Guides Latest File
- migamin Latest Submitter
111 user(s) are online ...
42 members, 69 guests, 0 anonymous users
Lord Tuvitor, pickaboo, np29, hoopdedoo, matungo22, phw77915, Sergio Villela, dabadon5, cakeza, kirari, crash941, hugowolf, urashi_ma, potsukka, migamin, ken-f-k, shushujing, jbrewgaming, itchyeye021, seioumarru, ArmyGrlz143, Paris, stratovarius, maxchannel, ChicagoBulls2345, simonchang8, MangKanor1007, griffin25654, xiaowang_x, Jmace123, vsop33, SpaceTime, CLR-ST, [email protected], beagleblue74, Newguy1717, Kart_Hadasht, dakago, katamariguy, Shanethemain, TheLegman, jose L Ortiz