• Moose

2 Screenshots

About This File

I wanted a region that was realistic, but worked well in SC4 (I find regions based on real places aren't always that fun to play). I couldn't find anything that fit what I wanted, so I made my own. I made the base terrain in Photoshop, and did the rest in the the SC4 editor. The mountains are taken from real-world data and that's what makes them realistic (though I edited them a whole bunch too).

The screenshot was taken with Teirusu's fantastic [url="http://community.simtropolis.com/files/file/21316-terrain-mod-arctic-snowcapped-terrain/"]Arctic/Snowcapped Mod[/url], and Peg's excellent [url="http://community.simtropolis.com/files/file/11836-peg-water-mod-brigantine/"]Brigantine water mod[/url].

[i]Edit: apparently rendered cities are not allowed on Simtropolis, so only the .sc4m is available now. You must import it with SC4Mapper.[/i]

What's New in Version 1.0

Released

• removed rendered .rar

User Feedback

Create an account or sign in to leave a review

You need to be a member in order to leave a review

Create an Account  

Register a New Account

Sign In  

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

RobertLM78

Best map I've found so far.

Share this review

Link to review
ppiinnkkuuss

Unknown date

Share this review

Link to review
jason leo

Unknown date

Share this review

Link to review
nosferatu247

Unknown date

Share this review

Link to review
blade2k5

Unknown date

Share this review

Link to review
adys

Unknown date

Share this review

Link to review
Superboss75

Unknown date

Share this review

Link to review
BIWDC

Unknown date

Share this review

Link to review
daybreak

Unknown date

Share this review

Link to review
tyscott12

Unknown date

Share this review

Link to review
Ultimate727

Unknown date

Share this review

Link to review
KeszSandor

Unknown date

Share this review

Link to review
  • Announcements

• Dirktator

12/05/2016

Hi Community As Simtropolis turns 14 years old this year, we're asking your help now more than ever to help us keep the site and everything you love about our Community and STEX up and running. A donation goes a long way to help us offset the costs of keeping the site up and operational. As you know, we're a completely community-driven not-for-profit website, but we do have to deal with some modest real-world expenses from month to month. Lately, we've been feeling a big pinch with a slump in donations, and we're hoping to drive that up so we can continue to keep the site running. In return for your donation, we're offering several STEX Collection Discs which you can learn more about here, if you wish to receive one. We would really appreciate your support by way of a donation of any amount in order to keep the site up and running. Of course, as always, we'll send you a gift with a minimum donation as a Thank You. If you have any questions please don't hesitate to PM me!  Donate Any Amount Here To Receive a STEX Disc(s) Donate a Specific Amount Here Sincerely; Dirktator & The Admins PS. Thank you to those who have stepped up and donated -- we really appreciate it!
  • STEX Featured

• Similar Content

• By accapulco
      I wasn't sure when I'd start the journal or if I even would at the beginning. I wanted to make sure I was up for it and not leave something half finished after an "off period". An "off period" is what I call the times when the game's been too much of a strain and you just gotta relax for a couple of days or even weeks. I didn't touch this for 2 weeks after making the initial road layout and I would've hated to leave the thread hanging there but now that I've picked it up again and have gotten somewhere nice I wanted to post it so I can start using this as a journal. A journal, as much for you as for me as well so I can have a place to vent some thoughts.
      A little about me. I like all kinds of games but I enjoy creative ones and strategy the most. Currently I have 972 hours on CS, I think it was at 300 or so before I started playing again after a huge break which was 2 months ago. I hadn't played for a while and picked it back up after purchasing AD and Winter sometherr.. Trams DLC. I always fancied European style cities since I've lived in Europe and have somewhat of an understanding when it comes to layouts and buildings. I tried to get into 3 different cities (over the last 2 months) and failed. I did post some shots a while back of the one that was somewhat promising but then decided to scrap. Mostly it's performance frustration I think. I'm used to it now but it can get really bad after a while and I hope it doesn't happen to Columbine. That last city was down to 8 fps or so and that sucks.
      I use a lot of mods and assets, subbed to 1883 currently. I try to eliminate duplicates or ones that look really similar and try to keep that number down to the best of my power... I.. can't.. control it rrallrrrgrrrgll!! Download Download Download!! I don't use any big or bad assets, they're all green or yellow and the ones that have big textures or lots of polys are a couple of tall buildings which I'll just use once or twice anyways so that's totally fine. Speaking of tall buildings, I don't really love them that much. They look really big in game where as from the ground IRL you don't really get a sense of how large some of them are and that bugs me since I like to build realistic looking cities. Realism to me is for what ever I'm building to look plausible and to make sense in the game world, I won't do 1:1 realism replica but I try to make it up as I go along in a way that looks real. Speaking of which, Columbine is an American city and I've been winging it so far. I am pleased with the result although I'm sure some old "Euro" habits are sneaking into my work. I'm just building according to my imagination of an American city. Also on the subject of assets, I spent 5 days back to back like a data miner stuck to the monitor going through all my assets and props removing the disgusting abominations that are vanilla trees and parking spaces from buildings while also giving everything a thumbnail. If you're going to put parking don't leave those 2mm gaps damn it!
      The Map is Merchant's Bay by OWL. I was thinking of making a desert city on the Hopi River Valley map which is awesome as well but I'm not confident I could space it out so much like they are supposed to be. Call it my Euro-spirit but I like to smush things together a little bit and not sprawl so much. I don't think I could decorate empty spaces as well. I'm using San Minato 4k texture theme instead of the map's recommended even though I liked that one too but the gravel was white and I like to use gravel for dirt sometimes, but it turned out this was actually a better choice. LUT is Cinematic HD by OWL as well, hands down the BEST LUT in the workshop. I've tried ALL, every single ***ing one and this one is the best after some sun position and what not tweaking in Ultimate Eye Candy. Not to be confused with the cinematic ones in his LUT pack though, those suck, this is the standalone bad ass one.
      I wanted to start a small town not too far from the center and work my way slowly there. I'm not very good at doing things on a huge scale in one go and compartmentalize my project into smaller pieces ie. districts. This whole town would be a district in that case. Here I've laid out the general roads. Don't worry about the interchange terrain shenanigans btw, it's a really good one from the workshop but sadly comes like that by default and I'm going to fix it when I'm detailing it much later in the future.

I wanted to keep it small and somewhat cozy so there won't be anything too large and no "shop yo ass out" kind of huge commercials, we'll have those closer to the city. Here everybody went to the same school and people know each others' faces. I did put some bigger office space on the bottom part as you can see since I can imagine some corporate would move in nearby and provide some jobs. I imagine the town's activity being centered around the church and Hard Rock Cafe area #headbangingwithjesus. Other than that it's just houses. In reality there would be so many more houses and I may squeeze some in the outskirts after I complete what I currently have or else it spirals out of control and I don't get anything done. Of course we have a bad ass town hall as well because I loved that model too much not to include it in my first town. This is where I left it and went absent for a couple of weeks.

This church has a special place since it was the first thing I started detailing when I came back. I was afraid, I was petrified, but doing this gave me the courage to go on and it's all smooth sailing from here on. This isn't it's "final form" as I've yet to re-discover decals properly and get bushin'.

I really wanted to make the Hard Rock Cafe something a bit more special and not just blend it into the rest of the buildings. This is what I'd label a "mini-project". Took me 2-3 hours with the parking lot included and it's meant to have an effect on the vicinity so you definitely know it's there when looking around but not so much that it owns the town.

An overview after some minor detailing.

This thing kind of came out of nowhere. I wanted to imitate the "low cost" baseball field from the Arrowhead Junction series but before I knew it, it became a football field. The Surface Painter paints on a grid if you haven't noticed and the distance between the penalty line and the goalie is 1 so this field is literally perfect in shape and I just couldn't help it. Besides it kind of fits since it's a crappy "soccer" field for the people living there. I added a small park with some public grills and picnic tables if people want to hang out there or they can go to the Pizza Hut or Taco Bell that are just poking in from the bottom left side.

The field is actually extremely good since it pretty much fills a whole block and dominates the area, meaning I can just add detail around the edges and don't have to have more unique elements for a while.

I love these American apartments so much, the shape and color and that paneling is sexy as f*ck, thanks King Leno. I dub thee King of the Leno's. I didn't want to add weird details and wanted to give them some private space hence the fencing and of course the pool because Americans need it to survive, poor things. I wanted the pool to be the center of attention so I devoted the detail for it alone. The area is covered in a "well kept but you won't eat off of it well kept" grass which gives it a very relaxing and livable touch. It's Decal Grass02 by Beardmonkey btw, I use that one and 03 like crazy.

Detailed the rest of the apartments. The left one I chose to make into a bigger community with a guard shack and bigger parking. The right 2 will have their parking outside and the top one will get a small forest patch as you'll see in a minute.

A more detailed look at the left one. I chose to fill some empty space with little garages just for storing old furniture or something, I think it looks nice. I'm picky about my rock work btw. I try not to over do it and reserve my "rock credit" to use on these areas where they'll bring these rocks just to create scenery.

A look towards the apartments from the main 4 lane avenue. I put the parking for the houses behind the "beton" concrete fences there. I don't think you have those in America, they are super European but I love the way they look so they go in. Besides I needed something a little more brutal then a little wooden fence to set that area apart so the parking makes sense. I think this way it makes it look as if there's more space between the two streets. Also put some fancy grass work on the clinic. That handicapped sign is so wrong I know but screw it I can't be that picky! (joke).

Here's the little forest patch I was talking about. I think it's here I first started to play around with blending in textures by painting gravel or ruined under decals.

Overview of what we got so far.

• By kingofsimcity
      Before voting, we recommend you download and try out this item of content:
      [Download Here] 
      A large Southern California styled strip mall for your shopping pleasure. Features plenty of roomy parking blocks so your Sims don't have to spend 20 years trying to back out of a parking space anymore.
    • By korver
      Please view it in full resolution to see all the fine detail before you cast your vote!
      Realistic recreation of Pisa's Piazza dei Miracoli (Square of Miracles) - home of the world famous Leaning Tower of Pisa.
      Additional notes:
      Every last building and object was carefully analyzed to find the most suitable SC4 replacement.
      All of the textures were created from scratch to match those of the actual plaza itself.
      Pics for comparison: 1,2,3,4,5
    • By korver
      Please zoom in before casting your vote!

Realistic recreation of the Holy Monastery of St. Nicholas in Meteora, Greece along with some of the surrounding scenery.  Wanting to feel closer to heaven, the locals built their monasteries high in the sky, perched precariously on sheer rock cliffs - truly a sight to behold.

You can see more Greek scenes from my "Greece - Part II" update in my CJ, True Earth.
    • By korver
      Please view it in full resolution to see all the fine detail before you cast your vote!
      You can see more amazing African scenes in my recent update Scenes From Africa from my CJ, True Earth.

Stunning Victoria Falls. Located on the Zambezi River on the Zimbabwe/Zambia border, it's the world's largest waterfall as well as one of the seven natural wonders of the world.
      Pics for comparison: 1,2,3,4,5
  • Newest STEX Uploads

• Recent STEX Reviews

• Recent STEX Comments