• Moose

4-to-13 Plugin Converter Release 0.42 beta

(3.80)    (112 Reviews)

6 Screenshots

About This File

4 – to – 13
SimCity 4 to SimCity 2013 Plugin Converter
Release 0.42 beta

On behalf of the newly formed Modd Squad ‘13 Team, I’m proud to present to you publically for the first time, our latest release, the SimCity 4 to SimCity 2013 Plugin Converter.

From this morning’s news post:

In a breakthrough development, a group of SimCity modders have developed a means of importing any model originally created for SimCity 4 directly into SimCity 2013, removing the previously thought requirement of access to the original 3D files. This process can be carried out by the end user on their own PC’s via the use of an automated tool, which has been released today at Simtropolis.com.

4to13-Conversion01_zpse77dbc36.png

First a little background.

Our team was formed and our efforts commenced after RippleTurbine, a prominent member both here and at SC4inmotion.com, made an interesting discovery late last year. He found that FSH files along with the LOD data contained within a standard SC4Model file could be extrapolated in such a way that allowed for the generation of a low-detail yet fully 3-dimensional version of the model. However, as was expected, the FSH files only aligned to form a coherent image at a specific angle (the isometric viewing angle of SimCity 4) and that at all other possible angles, the model would appear to have become distorted in some way.

However, this was not the end of the road as many predicted it would be! It was soon discovered that with the help of a modified version of the BlueFish 3D scanning script (a script created some years ago by the BlueFish R&D group in an attempt to convert static PNG images to 3D geometry on the fly), a mostly accurate representation of the original model could be generated simply through scanning the low-detail model at the point where the FSH files align correctly. Two scanning passes, from the North and South views, were all that was required to completely rebuild the model, including materials, into a highly-detailed three dimensional format. From here, all that was required was to export the 3D data into OJB format (the model format used in Sim City 2013), bake in the textures and import into the game via the use of Ohpee’s geometry import hack.

After many months of continuing development, we are now at the point where we are confident that a public release is possible (we were working on this even before the game was out!). Please keep in mind though, this is still beta software! We have yet to iron out all the bugs, and some features (such as the ability to convert night lighting) are still under development.

Known issues:

- Imported models are only available on the PC on which they have been installed. Loading a city with custom models on a different PC (where they have not been installed) can lead to game instability.

- Models greater than 1024m in any direction will cause a bugged model to be generated and the import to fail. We are trying hard to find a way to remove this limitation.

- OJB export crashes when running Mozilla Firefox at the same time. We are looking into this, possibly a co-scripting bug…

Installation:

- Simply run the standalone exe file, there is no need to install.

- Once at the main screen, select your SC4Model file, as well as your SimCity 2013 program files directory.

- Now press convert. A series of dialogue boxes will automatically appear and you will be able to see the conversion taking place. Once the ‘Importation Successful!’ dialogue box appears, close the program and open SimCity 2013.

- Your imported model will be available in game as a landmark.

4to13-ConververApp_zps190a8021.png

As of yet, we have not implemented the night-light conversion option into the public release (this feature is currently only available in the private beta – see below for more information). This feature is still under development and will appear in future public releases. We are also working on a way to import SimCity 4 lot properties along with models, but this will also take a while to develop.

Compatibility:
The tool has been tested and is confirmed working with Windows XP, Vista, 7 and 8. A Mac OS X port is currently in development which we expect to be available within a few weeks.

***IMPORTANT*** To run this application, please make sure your system has the Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 installed and enabled. Most windows users should have this package installed.

Legal issues:
Respect the rights of the original creators! You may import any SC4 plugin you wish to SimCity 2013 for your sole use at your own PC. You MAY NOT re-upload any form of converted model, however, as these models still remain the sole property of their original creators.

Problems?

Please visit our official support and development thread for technical assistance, to file a bug report, or for information on applying to join the private development beta.

Credits:
MS’13 development team:
Raz0r, Ohpee, MandelSoft, Ganaram Inukshuk, RippleTurbine, NX40, Polygon, z12, Tarkuz
Testing:
CaptCity, Hamish, 111222333444, Cockatoo, SimFixIt, ROFLyoshi, Jasoncw.

Thanks for using our tools! We hope you have a wonderful day.

User Feedback

Create an account or sign in to leave a review

You need to be a member in order to leave a review

Create an Account  

Register a New Account

Sign In  

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

JP Schriefer

·
  Edited by JP Schriefer

It's funny because 2.5 years later people are still downloading it. You deserve 5 stars!

Share this review

Link to review
Jack³

Unknown date

Share this review

Link to review

Unknown date

Share this review

Link to review
Bipin

Unknown date

Share this review

Link to review
A.Burgess

Unknown date

Share this review

Link to review
BIWDC

Unknown date

Share this review

Link to review
APSMS

Unknown date

Share this review

Link to review
eyelev

Unknown date

Share this review

Link to review
Wraner

Unknown date

Share this review

Link to review
ferryv

Unknown date

Share this review

Link to review
ky72x

Unknown date

Share this review

Link to review

• Announcements

• Dirktator

05/01/2017

We need your support to help keep Simtropolis online. We also need a little bit more this month to enhance the new chat with some features, such as mobile support! Please consider a donation today if you can help out, it would mean a lot! And we'll send you a little gift in return.  Help us reach our May goal so we can keep bringing you site improvements as well!  Donate and Get a Gift or Donate Any Amount Thanks so much! - Dirktator & The Admins
    • Dirktator

05/23/2017

Simtropolis is now an affiliate of GOG.com! When you use one of our affiliate links to GOG.com, all it means is that Simtropolis has a chance to earn a small commission from any purchases you might make. So if you see something that tickles your fancy, please use our affiliate links and by doing so, you'll help support Simtropolis! Thanks!
  • STEX Featured

• Similar Content

• By Chief ZDN
      Hello everyone,
      I'll ask you with 2 question. Can we create network from scratch now or in the future? If available, will it included in the NAM?
      I hope you make solutions to above questions (especially first question). I'm not arrogant or have the knowledge. I know this is difficult. But, starter pieces system has some minuses, like must place the starter piece.
      Thank you.
    • By Jolteon
      A tiny insignificant village next to a tiny insignificant highway.

• By Evanjs
      I have always loved @RRetail And @nos.17 re-lots so I have stated my own re-lots. More to come soon.

Update 1.

• By UrbanFoxx
      Minderia
      The land of Technology

On February 4, 1991, the US State of Minderia was granted independence after a referendum on the issue the previous year. Located on a giant island west of Los Angeles, it shares a water border with the United States, and its capital is Minderia City, which was only founded in 1977. This SimCity 4 YouTube City Journal is meant to follow the growth of the seven major cities of Minderia. In the end, (sometime in 2020) we will have a city journal finally worthy of being on the City Journal section of this site (which is probably when ST 10.0 will be released)

Without further ado, here's Part 1 of the series!

Here's a rundown on what has been done in this video. In the first entry to this series, we make the interchange of Highway MA4 and MA7 on the South Split as well as build up a retail park, which will be moved further down south because it doesn't exactly look realistic where it sits now. Other than that, I forgot the skyscraper re-lots from KOSC, yeah. Gonna half to download those before the next episode.
    • By Moogu
      Looking for active and cooperative mayors to join region and continue a supportive community. Experienced or new mayors encouraged. 
      Rules/Guidelines:
      Original SimCity 2013 only please, no Cities of Tomorrow (all other adaptations are ok, just ask before deploying mods) Be active in communicating and collaborating with other mayors.  2 map lots per mayor (Please ask before claiming more than one map lot), preferably just 1 to start and eventually we'll roll into 2 cities per mayor if they are not occupied completely. play at your speed, don't feel rushed. Just enjoy and have fun! lets get some awesome skyline pictures and let the creativity flow and learn a thing or two from one another. If you want to discontinue playing with this group just let me know and please abandon the map so i can manage it and clear it for someone else to play. I chose Rambling Badlands because of it's fairly linear arrangement of terrain (other maps are much too gradient/sloping and cause graphics issues), plentiful resources and allows 7 cities on each side of mountain range with 1 great work on each side. I personally thought it was a much better set up than just 4 mayors per region quadrant. 
      Also Rambling Badlands is extremely bug free.
      Badlands is also a nice change of scenery from the traditional maps.
      My Origin name is: Moogu69
      I have been an active mayor since release of this title with 1300+ hours logged
      so please message me if you're interested! cheers!

• Newest STEX Uploads

• Recent STEX Reviews

• Recent STEX Comments