• Moose

Flat Square Island 1.0

(2.60)    (5 Reviews)

1 Screenshot

About This File

It's a very simple, square-ish and almost flat map for Cities XL 2012, replacing either BigIsland_01 (The Tropical Island) or BigIsland_02 (The Two Sisters) or both, depending on which files you unpack. The terrain looks better on the former, but the latter is probably a more useful replacement.

It has custom textures, lots of place to build, a coast all around for placing ports (or blueprints built on water, like the Alcatraz or oil platform), and fertility everywhere. The Tropical Island version also has oil everywhere. Both have a fair bit of vacation areas from the start. Like the default islands, it has no road or rail connections anywhere, so you WILL need ports and airports.

It has no ground water by default in the normal game, just like the normal island, BUT if you use Neidhard's resource enabler ( http://www.file-upload.net/download-2360525/mod_requied-for-new-maps.rar.html ) then you'll have underground water reserves everywhere too. It's up to you exactly how much you want to cheat, basically. Personally I'd think an island would get plenty of rainfall to have water for its people, but you can also take it as just a desert island and import your water if you prefer it that way. Or you can use the sandbox mod buildings to give you water.

The same resource enabler will also give you oil everywhere on The Two Sisters replacement map, if you use that version.

Either version is a flat and gently rounded square, almost perfectly flat in the middle, and gradually curving down towards the shore line, to meet the water in a gentle slope. It's still more than flat enough to build on in any point.

It is not based on the altitude data of any real place. It's just an artifficial island with as much place to build as possible, while not having any hard corners or perfectly straight edges, so it basically still looks somewhat natural. If it helps, you can imagine it as an artifficially built island, like Dubai has been building, except bigger.

There are no trees in water, nor in fact even on the beach.

I have reduced the ground texture and shadow map to 2048x2048, down from the default 4096x4096, since it seems to run smoother on my computer that way and it's not like a flat map really needs more detail. And the game's terrain multi-texturing makes it look ok up close too anyway.

To install, just unzip one or both .patch files from the .zip file into your Paks folder. To uninstall, just remove it. (Removing it might, however, break any cities built on the custom map.)

IMPORTANT NOTE 1: No attempt has been made to match the height of the map it replaces, and arguably it's not even possible to both have two maps have the same height in any place AND have one be flatter than the other. I.e., it might or might not break existing cities built on the island it replaces. It is highly recommended that you start a new city if you want to use it.

IMPORTANT NOTE 2: It has only been tested with Cities XL 2012. I have no idea if it works with 2011 or any other version.

Note 3: yes, I know it's not some great achievement. It's not the best map out there, nor particularly hard to make, nor the most realistic, nor anything else. I just wanted a flat map to build a great big island city on. Maybe someone else can use it too. Or maybe not.

User Feedback

That's a good idea for people who want to build a city on an easy terrain... quite easy but not too much in fact, because of the connexion. But I think you should be a bit more creative...

Share this comment

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an Account  

Register a New Account

Sign In  

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Announcements

• Dirktator

05/01/2017

We need your support to help keep Simtropolis online. We also need a little bit more this month to enhance the new chat with some features, such as mobile support! Please consider a donation today if you can help out, it would mean a lot! And we'll send you a little gift in return.  Help us reach our May goal so we can keep bringing you site improvements as well!  Donate and Get a Gift or Donate Any Amount Thanks so much! - Dirktator & The Admins
    • Dirktator

05/23/2017

Simtropolis is now an affiliate of GOG.com! When you use one of our affiliate links to GOG.com, all it means is that Simtropolis has a chance to earn a small commission from any purchases you might make. So if you see something that tickles your fancy, please use our affiliate links and by doing so, you'll help support Simtropolis! Thanks!
  • STEX Featured

• Similar Content

• By Dalangs84
      Hi I've got SimCity Cities of Tomorrow downloaded via Origin. Can I download new regions/maps or make my own? If so where can I find them and how do I install them? (Idiot's guide).
    • By Blu
      Tell me your opinion or what I need to adjust to make it better. Enjoy!
      Use All Spaces Unlockable by S.Kate to benefit from the whole island space.
      http://smods.ru/archives/9247
    • By Tazerzly
      Hello, I'm unsure of where to post this, so I'll try here. I made a region using.png height map and a config (proportions are correct (64xregionsize+1)) but my region isn't rendering. I created a new folder in the SimCity 4 regions folder. I put in the config and the .png when I went to the region, I pressed Contr+Alt+Shift+R, like you would, then I navigated the menu and attempted to load the png, from there the dialogue closed and it left me with an empty region, with no signs of anything happening. I've  used downloaded regions before without any real issue, but now I'm not even getting the 'rendering' pop up, what's going on?
    • By Fallschirmjag3R

Please don't reupload.
      https://1drv.ms/u/s!AqEBDyDot9BBhGPc77H7nlAccziq
    • By NickBauer
      EN:
      It was time for SimCity, so I was looking for an interesting region. Since I have not found one that excites me, I have created a new one.

This time:

Island of Sylt, Northern Germany.

This island is one of the North Frisian Islands in the Wadden Sea. It is characterized by the fact that they can only be reached by boat or train. In Sylt live many celebrities, and the island is a scenic beauty.

Since the island from north to south is about 38km, I have created a 32x32px region, and the scale adjusted slightly. Have fun with the resettlement of the region, I am pleased with friendly comments.

Please look to my group on facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/447720148583197/

DE:
      Es wurde wieder Zeit für SimCity, also suchte ich nach einer interessanten Region. Da ich keine gefunden habe, die mich begeistert, habe ich also eine neue erstellt.

Dieses Mal:

Insel Sylt, Nord-Deutschland.

Diese Insel gehört zu den nordfriesischen Inseln im Wattenmeer. Sie zeichnet sich dadurch aus, dass sie nur per Schiff oder Eisenbahn zu erreichen ist. Auf Sylt leben viele Prominente, und die Insel ist eine landschaftliche Schönheit.

Da die Insel von nord nach süd etwa 38km beträgt, habe ich eine 32x32px Region erstellt, und den Maßstab etwas angepasst. Viel Spass bei der Neubesiedlung der Region, ich freue mich über freundliche Kommentare.

Bitte beachte auch meine Gruppe auf facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/447720148583197/
  • Newest STEX Uploads

• Recent STEX Reviews

• Recent STEX Comments

• Thought you might know it, but it was worth a shot. Ah yes, those real-estate photos - I had, in fact, seen an article about that blog somewhere and nearly forgotten about it afterwards, but then my sister gave me a tear-off calendar for Christmas: every day a horrible picture and a great one-liner. I love that stuff.
    • @nycsc4 ... This file should only include the texture and lot files - due to copyright reasons I have to link to anything that is not mine (the stadium in this case). I'm not sure what you mean by the "invisible KS file." On the OneDrive, there is a button for KS_AllianzArena 15x12 which once downloaded, will give a *.7z file. If you're using the default windows extractor, it may be a problem (not sure if it can handle 7zip files or not), but something like winrar should unzip it just fine. The .desc and .model files you need will be right there. Let me know if that's not working for you.
    • Hi there, quick question.  I just downloaded this stadium but it doesn't seem to work.  I am missing the "a" and "b" files.  The main download here only includes the texture and lot files.  The one drive only has the invisible "KS" file.  Let me know if you can help.   Thanks.
    • @thirstydeer - welcome to the world of custom content There are 4 tilesets in the game (the game has to be either "SC4 Deluxe" or "SC4" + "Rush Hour" expansion pack, the very basic game won't allow custom content to be used) which you can use to control what types of buildings are grown. The four tilesets are: Houston/New York/Chicago and Euro. If you don't change these settings, as a default, all tilesets are on, and the game builds from one tileset only every 5 game years. By selecting only the Euro tileset, you will give these buildings the greatest chance to grow . There is a little bit of further discussion here: Additionally, to get a 6x6 zone easily in the game, press and hold the CTRL key while zoning the commercial zone to count out a square 6 tiles each side.
    • What exactly do you mean by this: "These are all offered as growable 6x6, stage 1, medium wealth, Commercial Services on the EURO Tileset only."  I'm a pretty basic user of the game and am just starting to dabble with the myriad of custom content available on this site so I want to make sure it'll work for me before I download it.  It truly looks great!