• Moose

Flat Square Island 1.0

(2.60)    (5 Reviews)

1 Screenshot

About This File

It's a very simple, square-ish and almost flat map for Cities XL 2012, replacing either BigIsland_01 (The Tropical Island) or BigIsland_02 (The Two Sisters) or both, depending on which files you unpack. The terrain looks better on the former, but the latter is probably a more useful replacement.

It has custom textures, lots of place to build, a coast all around for placing ports (or blueprints built on water, like the Alcatraz or oil platform), and fertility everywhere. The Tropical Island version also has oil everywhere. Both have a fair bit of vacation areas from the start. Like the default islands, it has no road or rail connections anywhere, so you WILL need ports and airports.

It has no ground water by default in the normal game, just like the normal island, BUT if you use Neidhard's resource enabler ( http://www.file-upload.net/download-2360525/mod_requied-for-new-maps.rar.html ) then you'll have underground water reserves everywhere too. It's up to you exactly how much you want to cheat, basically. Personally I'd think an island would get plenty of rainfall to have water for its people, but you can also take it as just a desert island and import your water if you prefer it that way. Or you can use the sandbox mod buildings to give you water.

The same resource enabler will also give you oil everywhere on The Two Sisters replacement map, if you use that version.

Either version is a flat and gently rounded square, almost perfectly flat in the middle, and gradually curving down towards the shore line, to meet the water in a gentle slope. It's still more than flat enough to build on in any point.

It is not based on the altitude data of any real place. It's just an artifficial island with as much place to build as possible, while not having any hard corners or perfectly straight edges, so it basically still looks somewhat natural. If it helps, you can imagine it as an artifficially built island, like Dubai has been building, except bigger.

There are no trees in water, nor in fact even on the beach.

I have reduced the ground texture and shadow map to 2048x2048, down from the default 4096x4096, since it seems to run smoother on my computer that way and it's not like a flat map really needs more detail. And the game's terrain multi-texturing makes it look ok up close too anyway.

To install, just unzip one or both .patch files from the .zip file into your Paks folder. To uninstall, just remove it. (Removing it might, however, break any cities built on the custom map.)

IMPORTANT NOTE 1: No attempt has been made to match the height of the map it replaces, and arguably it's not even possible to both have two maps have the same height in any place AND have one be flatter than the other. I.e., it might or might not break existing cities built on the island it replaces. It is highly recommended that you start a new city if you want to use it.

IMPORTANT NOTE 2: It has only been tested with Cities XL 2012. I have no idea if it works with 2011 or any other version.

Note 3: yes, I know it's not some great achievement. It's not the best map out there, nor particularly hard to make, nor the most realistic, nor anything else. I just wanted a flat map to build a great big island city on. Maybe someone else can use it too. Or maybe not.

User Feedback

Create an account or sign in to leave a review

You need to be a member in order to leave a review

Create an Account  

Register a New Account

Sign In  

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Wustmann

Share this review

Link to review
BIWDC

Share this review

Link to review
Myempire

Share this review

Link to review
  • Announcements

• Dirktator

06/20/2017

This month we're hoping for a little bit of a boost this month or next, in addition to covering the regular bills, we'd love to be able to do some hardware upgrades. STEX Collector's Set gifts can now be sent to you via digital download as well as regular mail if you wish! Every donation dollar goes toward keeping Simtropolis online and humming along. Your contribution is so meaningful, every dollar counts! Hardware Upgrades We've received a recommendation to consider some hardware upgrades to our ageing server. As our website community software improves with more and more features, and as we bolt on additional features such as chat, the increased load to handle all these new toys is taking the server a bit to task. You may have noticed that we'd been forced to temporarily disable the chat as we worked out allocating resources for more optimal performance. Following this, we've applied a number of 'soft' changes such as caching options and experimented with server configurations (nginx as proxy, for example), so the hardware aspect is also an area we'd like to focus on. The last time we upgraded hardware was back in 2012, prior to the release of SC13. Your contribution means a lot! Your donation will go toward helping us to 1.) migrate to a newer server or 2.) at least get some ram/cpu/storage updates and any other infrastructure hardware or services. Donate and Get a Gift or Donate Any Amount Thanks so much! - Dirktator & The Admins
  • STEX Featured

• Similar Content

• By Funinthesun187
      Description
      This is a 1:1 scale map of the greater area of Boston, Massachusetts. Since this is my first map, there might be a few kinks. Areas include: downtown Boston, Boston Logan Intl. Airport, Cambridge, Winthrop, Brookline, and more! This map is almost completely flat, so it's perfect for heavy development.
      Instructions on installation in the readme file included in the download.
    • By RandyE
      There are now 2 files in this package which I will refer to as the 'original' and the 'new' file(s). 
      The original file is still in the package.  It is a file that I re-edited and works as intended, a flat blank tile with unlimited simoleons, but after I heavily terra-formed the map and began building a city, I noticed some inconsistent behaviors of the simulation which may be the result of it being optimized as a 'trainer' with all buildings and ordinances available.
      The original file is intended for the purpose of introduction to the complete set of goodies in the SC3U game, and to make it easy to get started using all the features, especially for focus on creativity.  The original file does not have a coastline which is required for use of the desalinization water pump and for creating seaports.
      The new file (V2) is more for the gaming aspect, it is a fresh-started city without any of the goodies 'cheated' into the game.  It is also a 'trainer' in that it starts with 1,000,000,000 in funds, but you must 'earn' the rewards as you build and manage the city.  The new file is clear of any other modification which may interfere with the operation of the simulator so is a better example for those more interested in learning how to 'play' SC3U. 
      Note: Some rewards may not appear as they are triggered by reaching a certain amount of funds.   To enable all Rewards use Ctrl + Shift + Alt + C and type 'pay tribute to your king' in the cheat box.
      The new file includes a coastline on which the desalinization water pump will work and for creating functional seaports, includes a bit of vertical terraforming in one corner, but is otherwise flat and blank. 
      Thanks to @CorinaMarie for generating the new file which I then terra-formed, and which she then tweaked the extra funding into. 
      Thanks to @catty-cb for providing a directory of SimCity Knowledge Tree Cheats. 
      To install either or both city files in the gog.com distribution for Windows unzip and place the files(s) in '<drive>\GOG Games\SimCity 3000 Unlimited\Cities\'.  This is where to navigate to in the game to load or save a city file. 
      Also included in the zipfile is a Windows icon which can be registered in the system as the icon for all '.sc3' city files.  The icon was extracted from the SC3U.EXE application.
      The last preview is of a 3rd city file I am working on without any cheats, mods, tricks, or extra funds, starting in pure SC3U vanilla mode.  The animation demonstrates how dynamic the dilapidation and abandonment can be, with the RCI demands jumping up and down rapidly.  If using 'swallow' speed, watch utilities as they can wear down very quickly.
    • By Wiimeiser
      Well, this is really starting to cheese me off. I'm trying to cut this map in half because it's actually too big for the game (the game actually stops scrolling at around 128 and behaves like it's about to crash) and I actually like the flooded version, but this seems to be physically impossible:
      -If I edit the jpeg directly, no matter what settings I use, even if I save it as a different file type, artifacts obliterate the whole thing
      -Exporting a new jpeg via SC4M darkens it, making the terrain completely flat
      -If I try editing the RGB file, SC4M says the edited RGB file is not an RGB file at all
      -If I try using a differently sized config.bmp, it brings up a box; if I say Yes it distorts the terrain, if I say No SC4M hangs indefinitely (Why the Freya is that even an option then if it just completely fails to create the region? Just don't bring up that box, or bring up one that only has "OK" and have it resize automatically. What's the point of giving me a choice if one freezes the whole program?)

Is there an alternative? Or will I have to import cities one by one using the Import City function?
    • By Martin892
      Hi all,
      Some new life on the sc3k forum reminds me of this question I have for years.
      Playing sc3k always made me end up building highrises on the map edges. Might there be an opportunity modding the game such that the maximum map size increases? Eg 4 fold or 9 fold. This would allow creating larger metropolises in sc3k.
    • By Golhbul
      It's been a long time since I started this map, I almost completed it and I'm happy.
      Today I share it with you but I give you empty.
      Hopefully it gives you as much fun play it has given me.

Good luck to you and good game
      G.
  • Newest STEX Uploads

• Recent STEX Reviews

• Recent STEX Comments