• Moose

Better Heavy Industry 1.0

(3.50)    (6 Reviews)

2 Screenshots

About This File

Welcome to the age of factory automation and mass production. It increases production of the high-density heavy industry by 2.5 times, and makes it pay more taxes too, at the "cost" of also hiring about a third more unskilled workers per factory.

It will leave the low and mid density factories unchanged, because I didn't want to screw up your economy while you still have a tiny city and can't build much else to provide jobs. But as soon as you're big enough to zone for high-density heavy industry, you can demolish the old factories and zone for these more efficient ones. And use the left over space and workforce for, I dunno, manufacturing or high tech.

The basic story is that I hated having to build that much heavy industry, and the pitiful taxes they paid didn't even cover the cost of cleaning up their pollution. I COULD use the wonderful sandbox mod, but it's not very realistic, and trips my suspension of disbelief. I wanted something which still maintains at least a thin pretense of realism.

So the changes are as follows:

- as mentioned, I increased each factory's production by 2.5 times. You'll still need to zone several full square blocks before coming anywhere near a sandbox factory, but you don't have to fill half the map with heavy industry either.

- I've increased their workforce from 3 unskilled, 3 skilled and 2 executives to 4 unskilled, 3 skilled, and 2 executives. On the whole, because you need less heavy factories and can build more manufacturing and high-tech, you'll still end up with a lot less unskilled workers in the city, but I still wanted to have a half-way believable number of them. A city with twice as many elites as unskilled workers is kinda silly.

- I've reduced their profits per unit sold to half (mass-production lowers prices), and increased their maintenance per factory by 6 times, so they don't pay insanely high taxes. They still do pay a lot more tax per factory, but it is still quite a bit lower than an equivalent manufacturing factory. The point I'm aiming at is basically that zoning for it isn't a loss, but it doesn't turn into a cash cheat, either, and it doesn't remove the incentive to build more manufacturing and high-tech instead if you can.

How to install it: just unpack the .zip file in your Paks folder. Any existing high-density heavy factories will be automatically upgraded, so in a large city you'll end up with an instant surplus. Sell it or demolish some.

How to uninstall it: just delete the .patch file from your Paks folder. Any existing high-density heavy factories will be automatically downgraded to the vanilla ones. I.e., large cities will have a massive defficit of heavy industry until you build some more to make up for the downgrade.

IMPORTANT NOTE: This has only been tested with Cities XL 2012. I have no idea if it works with any other version.

User Feedback

Create an account or sign in to leave a review

You need to be a member in order to leave a review

Create an Account  

Register a New Account

Sign In  

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

BIWDC

Unknown date

Share this review

Link to review
simmytu

Unknown date

Share this review

Link to review
  • Announcements

• Dirktator

06/30/2017

This month we're hoping for a little bit of a boost this month or next, in addition to covering the regular bills, we could benefit from some hardware upgrades. STEX Collector's Set gifts can now be sent to you via digital download as well as regular mail if you wish! Every donation dollar goes toward keeping Simtropolis online and humming along. Your contribution counts! Hardware Upgrades As our website community software improves with more and more features, and as we bolt on additional features such as chat, the increased load to handle all these new toys is taking the server a bit to task. You may have noticed that we'd been forced to temporarily disable the chat as we worked out allocating resources for more optimal performance. Following this, we've applied a number of 'soft' changes such as caching options and experimented with server configurations (nginx as proxy, for example), so the hardware aspect is also an area we'd like to focus on. The last time we upgraded hardware was back in 2012, prior to the release of SC13. Your contribution means a lot! Your donation will go toward helping us to 1.) migrate to a newer server or 2.) at least get some ram/cpu/storage updates and any other infrastructure hardware or services. Donate and Get a Gift or Donate Any Amount Thanks so much! - Dirktator & The Admins
  • STEX Featured

• Similar Content

• By Stellaris88
      How do i increase the hapiness in tropico 5? and how do i build an strong good economy? any tipps?
    • By SorinT
      Dawn of Humanity is a town-building strategy game that puts you in control as you experience the growth and development of your hunter-gatherer tribal settlement into a prosperous town fit for a modern civilization. Starting in 10,000 BC, you must ensure that you evolve and grow your village through the perils of prehistoric Stone Age to the challenges and opportunities presented by the late Middle Ages up to the Renaissance era. The player will have a choice of four different civilizations and cultures in which to develop their town that will be based on the climate and geographical location of the original settlement. To secure victory, the player must ensure that all available resources are used to their best potential in order to have a healthy, happy and productive population who will be the backbone of your success.
      Check out more details on Kickstarter and feel free to contact me if you need any more details
      Kickstarter      Facebook
    • By Sebaestschn
      Hi All,
      Today, CitiesCorp Concept has been submitted to Steam Greenlight. 
      The basic idea is to scale and shape your buildings, putting them into complexes, setting own productions lines and many more features. This gives you a different city building experience in comparison to the well established brands.

Check it out on Steam Greenlight and if you like it, vote Yes!
      Small town during testing

Control Panel to control what is going on inside the building

• By A Nonny Moose
      The buckwheat crisis

Buckwheat (a Russian stable - greshka) is disappearing from store shelves.  Could Mr. Putin and his elite circle have a five-year plan on buckwheat?  No more greshka, no more Putin?
    • By usha
      FUTURE AND ECHONOMY 2/2

7th February 2010,

Dear President of the United Nations,

Ses Isles Qiuck Gowth in port Tuduri

In these ten years I have seen grow building construction, investment firms and tourism and recreation centers.
      The means of transport are exceptional safety and health assistance, too.

Port Tuduri as a Tourism Center

Dear President,The final decision must be taken by all member countries, but if the entire nation of Aralar
      has progressed as it has this region, of course, is a country that should be part of the organization.

Univeristy in Port Tuduri

SES ISLES MAP AND OVERVIEW
  • Newest STEX Uploads

• Recent STEX Reviews

• Recent STEX Comments