• Moose

1 Screenshot

About This File

It's a very simple flat map for Cities XL 2012 that replaces the Rocky Desert, with a custom texture. Basically you have the whole map available for building whatever you wish.

Furthermore, I reduced the texture and shadow map to 2048x2048, down from 4096x4096, since it seems to run smoother on my computer this way. And besides, it's not like a flat desert actually needed more detail.

It has oil everywhere, as well as tourism everywhere.

It has no water or fertility by default in the normal game, just like the normal desert, BUT if you use Neidhard's resource enabler ( http://www.file-upload.net/download-2360525/mod_requied-for-new-maps.rar.html ) then you'll have underground water reserves and fertility everywhere too. It's up to you exactly how much you want to cheat, basically. You can imagine that it's an otherwise fertile area, if only someone pumps water from underground to irrigate the crops, or you can take it as just a desert and import your food and water. Or you can use the sandbox mod buildings to give you food and water.

To install it, just unpack the zip file into the Paks folder. To uninstall it, just delete the mod file from the Paks folder. (It might however break any cities built on the modified map.)

IMPORTANT NOTE 1: No attempt has been made to have it at the same height as the original map, and arguably it's not even possible to exactly match the height everywhere AND be flatter than the original. The two are mutually incompatible. I.e., it will likely break any existing city that's built on the Rocky Desert map. It's highly recommended that you start a new city if you want to use it.

IMPORTANT NOTE 2: It has only been tested with Cities XL 2012. I have no idea if it works with 2011 or any other version.

Note 3: yes, I know it's not some great achievement. It's not the best map out there, nor particularly hard to make, nor the most realistic, nor anything else. I just wanted a flat map to build a great big Las Vegas style city on. Maybe someone else can use it too. Or maybe not.

User Feedback

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an Account  

Register a New Account

Sign In  

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Announcements

• Dirktator

06/30/2017

This month we're hoping for a little bit of a boost this month or next, in addition to covering the regular bills, we could benefit from some hardware upgrades. STEX Collector's Set gifts can now be sent to you via digital download as well as regular mail if you wish! Every donation dollar goes toward keeping Simtropolis online and humming along. Your contribution counts! Hardware Upgrades As our website community software improves with more and more features, and as we bolt on additional features such as chat, the increased load to handle all these new toys is taking the server a bit to task. You may have noticed that we'd been forced to temporarily disable the chat as we worked out allocating resources for more optimal performance. Following this, we've applied a number of 'soft' changes such as caching options and experimented with server configurations (nginx as proxy, for example), so the hardware aspect is also an area we'd like to focus on. The last time we upgraded hardware was back in 2012, prior to the release of SC13. Your contribution means a lot! Your donation will go toward helping us to 1.) migrate to a newer server or 2.) at least get some ram/cpu/storage updates and any other infrastructure hardware or services. Donate and Get a Gift or Donate Any Amount Thanks so much! - Dirktator & The Admins
  • STEX Featured

• Similar Content

• By Horus_Kol
      So, I've been importing maps to the map editor after getting them pretty much how I want in a graphics editor. So far my chain has been:
      Download from terrain.party (produces 8-bit grayscale PNG) Apply some curves in GIMP (still 8-bit grayscale) Convert to 24-bit grayscale in IrfanView and apply a bit of blur Import into C:SL The result is still a bit lumpy - and the smoothing tool is a bit heavy-handed/uneven.
      I suppose, what would be useful, is if there were a way to smooth the whole map in the editor at once - or a better method of producing the 24-bit image
    • By CheshireKate
      I'd like to take a region and make a new region that has the same overall topology but is 4 times the size (twice as long in each direction). Is there any easy way to do this?
    • By Funinthesun187
      Description
      This is a 1:1 scale map of the greater area of Boston, Massachusetts. Since this is my first map, there might be a few kinks. Areas include: downtown Boston, Boston Logan Intl. Airport, Cambridge, Winthrop, Brookline, and more! This map is almost completely flat, so it's perfect for heavy development.
      Instructions on installation in the readme file included in the download.
    • By RandyE
      There are now 2 files in this package which I will refer to as the 'original' and the 'new' file(s). 
      The original file is still in the package.  It is a file that I re-edited and works as intended, a flat blank tile with unlimited simoleons, but after I heavily terra-formed the map and began building a city, I noticed some inconsistent behaviors of the simulation which may be the result of it being optimized as a 'trainer' with all buildings and ordinances available.
      The original file is intended for the purpose of introduction to the complete set of goodies in the SC3U game, and to make it easy to get started using all the features, especially for focus on creativity.  The original file does not have a coastline which is required for use of the desalinization water pump and for creating seaports.
      The new file (V2) is more for the gaming aspect, it is a fresh-started city without any of the goodies 'cheated' into the game.  It is also a 'trainer' in that it starts with 1,000,000,000 in funds, but you must 'earn' the rewards as you build and manage the city.  The new file is clear of any other modification which may interfere with the operation of the simulator so is a better example for those more interested in learning how to 'play' SC3U. 
      Note: Some rewards may not appear as they are triggered by reaching a certain amount of funds.   To enable all Rewards use Ctrl + Shift + Alt + C and type 'pay tribute to your king' in the cheat box.
      The new file includes a coastline on which the desalinization water pump will work and for creating functional seaports, includes a bit of vertical terraforming in one corner, but is otherwise flat and blank. 
      Thanks to @CorinaMarie for generating the new file which I then terra-formed, and which she then tweaked the extra funding into. 
      Thanks to @catty-cb for providing a directory of SimCity Knowledge Tree Cheats. 
      To install either or both city files in the gog.com distribution for Windows unzip and place the files(s) in '<drive>\GOG Games\SimCity 3000 Unlimited\Cities\'.  This is where to navigate to in the game to load or save a city file. 
      Also included in the zipfile is a Windows icon which can be registered in the system as the icon for all '.sc3' city files.  The icon was extracted from the SC3U.EXE application.
      The last preview is of a 3rd city file I am working on without any cheats, mods, tricks, or extra funds, starting in pure SC3U vanilla mode.  The animation demonstrates how dynamic the dilapidation and abandonment can be, with the RCI demands jumping up and down rapidly.  If using 'swallow' speed, watch utilities as they can wear down very quickly.
    • By Wiimeiser
      Well, this is really starting to cheese me off. I'm trying to cut this map in half because it's actually too big for the game (the game actually stops scrolling at around 128 and behaves like it's about to crash) and I actually like the flooded version, but this seems to be physically impossible:
      -If I edit the jpeg directly, no matter what settings I use, even if I save it as a different file type, artifacts obliterate the whole thing
      -Exporting a new jpeg via SC4M darkens it, making the terrain completely flat
      -If I try editing the RGB file, SC4M says the edited RGB file is not an RGB file at all
      -If I try using a differently sized config.bmp, it brings up a box; if I say Yes it distorts the terrain, if I say No SC4M hangs indefinitely (Why the Freya is that even an option then if it just completely fails to create the region? Just don't bring up that box, or bring up one that only has "OK" and have it resize automatically. What's the point of giving me a choice if one freezes the whole program?)

Is there an alternative? Or will I have to import cities one by one using the Import City function?
  • Newest STEX Uploads

• Recent STEX Reviews

• Recent STEX Comments

• Funny thing is, as I understand it, there is only 1 Super K-Mart still open.
    • While installing the menu icons using LEProp you may also add these extended names with 'no. of stories', location and 'year completed'.  Descriptions including 'building type', 'no. of jobs' and 'building-height'. Name: AON Center, 62-story, Los Angeles 1973
      Description: Functional Landmark with 5,000 CO$$$ Jobs. Height: 860 ft (260 m). Name: 345 California Center, 48-story, San Francisco 1986
      Description: Functional Landmark with 3,200 CO$$$ Jobs. Height: 211.8 m (695 ft). Name: CenturyLink Tower, 53-story, Denver 1983
      Description: Landmark Building. Cost: $125,000.  Height: 709 feet (216 m).   Name: Columbia Center, 76-story, Seattle 1985
      Description: Functional Landmark with 5,000 CO$$$ Jobs. Height: 937 ft (286 m) Name: Commerzbank Tower, 56-story, Frankfurt 1997
      Description: Functional Landmark with 4,200 CO$$$ Jobs. Height: 259 m (850 ft). Name: Denver Place, 34-story, Denver 1981
      Description: Functional Landmark with 4,500 CS$$$ Jobs. Height: 416 feet (127 m) http://community.simtropolis.com/files/file/31537-denver-place/ Name: Dirksen Courthouse Federal Building, Chicago
      Description: Dirksen Courthouse: Landmark with 4,000 CO$$$ http://community.simtropolis.com/files/file/31449-federal-center-chicago/ Name: John Hancock Center, 100-story, Chicago 1968
      Description: Functional Landmark with 8,000 CO$$$ Jobs, the lot size is 6x4. Height: 1,127-foot, (344 m). Name: Torre Ejecutiva Pemex, 52-story, Mexico City 1982
      Description: Functional Landmark with 5,000 CO$$$ Jobs. Height: 214 meters.  Name: Regions Center Tower, 30-story, Little Rock 1975
      Description: Functional Landmark with 3,000 CO$$ Jobs. Height: 454 feet (138 m)   _______________________________________________________ Diego Del Llano Growables - 2017 Pack One 1.00 http://community.simtropolis.com/files/file/31544-diego-del-llano-growables-2017-pack-one/
    • @Tyberius06 ... I do not want you to think that I am ignoring you - I simply do not have the time to look into it this week. Hopefully, I can examine it this weekend. 
    • Very nice huzman! Thanks for the upload!
    • I remember this one :-) It's a true classic in the SC3000 community.